Sept. 13: On the Air with Local News Anchors

Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis
Anchors, 12 News/KPNX-TV

Categories: Uncategorized.

Comment Feed

87 Responses

1. Tonight’s “Must See Monday,” featured Lin Sue Cooney and Mar Curtis, two anchors from Channel 12 News. The main focus of tonight Cooney and Curtis giving us their expert advice on what it means to be a journalist, more specifically a broadcast journalist. Both gave their opinion of what it means to be broadcast and the main idea they both seemed to be pushing was that it is our job to present the facts with no bias and be the best storytellers we can be. They discussed times for both of them when it was very hard to abide by that rule. For Mark Curtis, it was covering both the death of Pat Tillman (due to the relationship he had formed over the years when covering him in sports) and his hands on reporting of Hurricane Katrina. He explained that for both cases, he knew it was his job to tell their stories, which could possibly compromise his duty to deliver objective journalism. For Lin Sue Cooney, she told us about her experience covering 9-11; how it was not only so painful to tell the viewers about, but the crew worked non stop that week, constantly delivering the horrible news. In addition, she said anytime she is given a child abuse case, it is hard to report because she finds herself wanting to express emotion and show empathy, but like Curtis said, it contradicts the idea of objective journalism.
    Both explained to the audience the lines you have to draw being in a field such as broadcast journalism. First off, both anchors are required to have a Facebook and Twitter. Cooney and Curtis both agreed that family and their personal lives are more important to them than anything; both would never jeopardize that for either site. Secondly, the viewers have a lot of power; they dictate your rating and your success what have you. These points, along with the prior ones, really made an impact on me. It makes me want to be a storyteller and be that ray of light in a dark tunnel. I really appreciated them coming and I feel I took a lot from it.

Haley MaddenSeptember 13, 2010 @ 8:17 pm
  2. I thought tonight’s must-see Monday was quite intriguing. The speakers were Lynn Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis, the 12 News anchors. For me, this was larger than life. I grew up watching and listening to both of them on 12 News. It was amazing to hear them talk about journalism and what to do to prepare yourself for your journalism career.
    The first thing that made it’s mark on me was how they both got involved with broadcast journalism: by accident. As of now I am more focused on print, as was Mrs. Cooney, yet somehow she found her way into the anchor position. This kind of taught me to leave my options open. I shouldn’t shut myself out of broadcast! Rather I should learn all aspects of journalism in order to prepare myself for any journalism market, whether print or broadcast.
    They both brought up a very interesting point about relationships and journalism. This was something I had never thought about before. I realized that being a journalist meant traveling and obviously being busy, but I never thought it would be such a hindrance to being a father and a husband. This was a bit discouraging, but Mrs. Cooney thought Mr. Curtis was a great father and that made me happy. I have to learn how to separate my work from my family life and need to make sure I have an adequate amount of time for both.
    Lastly, their advice was to make sure I diversify myself. I need to learn all aspects of journalism. I need to dive into both print and broadcast and learn all that I possibly can in order to stand out. They explained how much of the new reporters they hire would shoot, edit, write, and air their own stories… they would do all the work themselves. I’m just beginning to realize how real that is, and how important it is for me. Overall, this must-see Monday was very educational and I enjoyed it immensely.

Sean McCauleySeptember 13, 2010 @ 8:29 pm
  3. • Social media was a central theme to tonight’s lecture. Why are media professionals required to use Twitter on a regular basis? It seems like that would be a medium that can be used for certain purposes, but why force that kind of information out of journalists? I feel like doing that can lead to a degradation of information, or perhaps an overload.

• Also, I notice that Ms. Cooney and Mr. Curtis have very different perspectives of Facebook than my generation does. Personal privacy is something I don’t think about as much as I should. For example, there was a recent story in the news about burglars that broke into people’s houses based on their Facebook updates. It’s important to not take my personal safety for granted.

• Another note on social media: “A leading politician today charged that the media, instead of informing people, now merely report on public ignorance. Do our viewers agree? Let’s hear from some voices on the street.” This is from a web-comic I read. It demonstrates what I and I think many other journalists believe: that journalists should lean towards deciding themselves what the masses need to know, rather than catering to their interests. But it’s all about finding a balance.

• Since I started working on the State Press newspaper I’ve gotten a taste of the fast paced nature of journalism. It’s just a taste, but I’m beginning to realize how hectic the business can be. I’ve already had my first experience with “job saturation” here at ASU. I came to the conclusion that I couldn’t balance State Press Newspaper, SPTV, magazine writing, social life, and last but not least, class and homework. I decided to drop SPTV, and I feel much less stressed for it.

• Mark Curtis talks about money a lot. I don’t think that college is primarily about making yourself employable. I think it’s about developing a life philosophy and finding out who you are as a person. Sure, I need to make money, but I want to have a passion for what I do. I’m going to do the best I can to make myself into a well-rounded journalist, but financial gain isn’t my primary motivation behind becoming a journalist (Although it may be a reality of the business). Basically, if my goal were just to make money, I’d be an accountant, not a journalist.

4. Tonight’s “Must See Monday” featured local anchors Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis from channel 12 news. First of all, it was so weird to see them so up close and unscripted after watching them for years from my TV at home, I am from Arizona! But, tonight the thing that hit me the most was hearing how Lin Sue Cooney came to be a broadcast journalist. I feel like I related to her in a few aspects. She also said it is always easier to go from broadcast to print than the other way around. That was very valuable especially as an aspiring print major. Both Lin and Mark agree that the market is changing and will continue to change as the years progress and it is important to be a well rounded and employable journalist. I learned a lot from tonight and really enjoyed all the wonderful insight that Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis shared with us all tonight.

Haley BuntrockSeptember 13, 2010 @ 8:32 pm
  5. It’s no wonder Mark Curtis and Lin Sue Cooney from Channel 12 have found such success as co-anchors: their chemistry together is very entertaining! Their Must-See Monday sit-down tonight wasn’t just entertaining, though, it was also really helpful.

One of the highlights of the night, for me, was when the two were in slight disagreement over the “line” they walk in deciding what is appropriate to put into their television program and what isn’t. Mark conceded that while he’d like to live up to the high standards of journalism he feels were epitomized by Walter Cronkite, he is first and foremost a “breadwinner,” and for that reason he is more willing to simply listen to his bosses and air the stories that will appeal to the audience – with little apprehension as to the crudeness of the piece. He said, “In the business world, there are times when you have to bend.” This viewpoint has won him the nickname of “Mayor of Pervetown” around the studio.

Lin Sue, on the other hand, seems to be a little more cautious when doing her job, laying more importance on sticking to her morals. She said, “There is a point where you have to draw your line in the sand…. Decide how far you’ll go.”

I think this discussion was the most intriguing part of the entire interview, because it showcased the differing personalities of different journalists, and was especially poignant in the fact that they hold the same job in this point in their lives, despite their different perspectives and backgrounds.

Brittany SmithSeptember 13, 2010 @ 8:45 pm
  6. Meeting real-live news anchors is something that I’ve always wanted to do. They live the life that I have dreamed about for years, they have put their blood sweat and tears into the business and now have the opportunity to live out their dreams. That dream was fulfilled tonight and I can honestly say that I want to be where they are more than ever. People say that when you see the people that you look up to in person, they turn out to not be all that you thought that they were. Listening to Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis had the opposite effect on me. They were witty, bright, and experienced. All that I could think to myself is just how much I want to be like them someday. They prove that being an anchor is not about having a pretty face and sprayed hair, its about being a real journalist and not only a journalist but also an authoritative figure, the one who will always be there through good news and bad, conveying truth to viewers in the best way that they know how. Being a news anchor is about having integrity and digging deep, finding your own stories. They showed that anchors are people to be respected and hard workers. They are humorous and real people, people who interact with social media and live life in the public eye. They are real people who draw lines morally and professionally yet also have to appeal to viewers and ratings. They take cues from past anchors before them and immerse themselves in the community in order to be the best that they can be. Both Cooney and Curtis are inspirations to me, as they have not sacrificed themselves to do what they love, but simply have made work a part of who they are. They are not uptight or buttoned up, they are comical free and incredibly real. I am now more motivated than ever to follow in their footsteps.

Ashton BuccolaSeptember 13, 2010 @ 8:46 pm
  7. Tonights guest speakers for “Must See Mondays” were News Anchors, Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis. Out of all the speakers that will be attending “Must See Modays, these were the people that I was the most excited to see, and with good reason. Not only were these two informative, but they were humorous to listen to as well.

Before becoming a broadcast journalist Mark Curtis was a pre-med student. However, he quickly learned that that he was not cut out for the courses required for a pre-med major. He stumbled onto the idea of wanting to be a journalist through being a substitute DJ. After the realization that he wanted to do something journalist related, Mark enrolled in college and found himself involved in sports journalism. His first job was as a sports producer. Mark stayed with sports until 2004 when he switched over to news broadcasting. Interestingly enough, Marks daughter has gone into the field of journalism as well.

As Lin Sue Cooney began telling us about how she got into journalism, I immediately felt as if I related to her. When Lin Sue first began her journey on the road to become a journalist with the intention of writing for a magazine of some sort. Interestingly enough, this is what my goal is as well. At this point in my want to be a journalist, I want to write for a magazine of some sort. I felt as if during her talking to us, Lin Sue was incredibly personable and real as opposed to some narcissistic news reporter that could care less about the students they are presenting to. She told us about how the worst story that she has ever presented was the day of 9/11 because it was so emotionally exhausting to act neutral when it was relatively impossible. Lin Sue also shared with us that child abuse stories are the hardest for her to do seeing as she is a mother herself.

Overall, I learned quite a from tonights speakers. For instance, I knew that any part of journalism is work, but I did no know how much work was encompassed with being a journalist. Hearing from Lin Sue that you can put a limit on what you will not do was slightly comforting. Knowing that both news anchors have a love life and kids brought me a sense of relief as well. Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis were animated in tonights “interview” and were incredibly pleasing to listen to. I can only hope that the future “Must see Mondays” will be as interesting as tonights was.

Haylie VigilSeptember 13, 2010 @ 8:47 pm
  8. Katie Kunkel
    Local News Anchors Blog
    September 13, 2010

Watching the interview with the local news anchors Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis definitely shined a new light on broadcast journalism for me. When Ms. Cooney stated she originally wanted to work in print journalism because she loved to write, I immediately could relate. Similarly, I am currently interested in print journalism, but after taking more classes involving radio and broadcast, I may end up like Ms. Cooney and get involved in another area of journalism. Another thing that sparked my interest in broadcast journalism was the fact the news anchors are truly connected to their stories. When Ms. Cooney asked if we thought all they did was go in and read on television, I actually partially believed that’s what they did. After hearing about all the work and passion the anchors actually put into each story, I now understand the connection broadcast journalists have with their stories, just like print journalists. Thanks to these two news anchors, my mind has been greatly broadened and I now want to try out other types of journalism.

Katie KunkelSeptember 13, 2010 @ 8:48 pm
  9. The name of the game is to be as diversified as you can be in today’s world no matter what career path you are on. It’s not about what you’re going to do for the next five years, it’s about what you’re going to do for the rest of your life said Mark Curtis on Monday night in the First Amendment Forum. Lind Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis turned serious when they both spoke of the sacrifices and hardships that their careers have taken on their personal lives. Both Mark and Lin Sue believe that the role of the local news anchor will soon go by the wayside. Mark advised that journalism students concentrate on becoming well rounded journalists and stressed that multimedia journalists will be riding the wave of the future. Mark struck a cord with the audience when he explained that his role as a local anchor is to be the voice of reason, calm, honesty and integrity when “the crap is flying” in the community.

Carie GladdingSeptember 13, 2010 @ 8:51 pm
  10. Tonight we had an interesting talk with Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis at the Must-See-Mondays. It was so surreal to hear about journalism from two of the most successful anchors in the country. One big thing I found interesting is that they both had the same problem that I am having now. They both fell into the broadcasting industry on accident and I am still trying to figure out the path I want to take because there are a variety of options. One of Mr. Curtis’ final words for us was to put ourselves into a position where we will be employable for competitive industries. This was a good point because what if I wanted to focus all my time talking on the radio when in fact I later found out that I was working camera’s for a television studio. Or it could be as little as me wanting to go into the entertainment field when I focused my four years strictly on sports. But isn’t that the beauty of college? ASU has all these opportunities for us to get involved and get a taste of everything related to the journalism/broadcasting industry. I feel like I am already following their advice but now even more so, I am going to make sure that I get involved with as much as I can to find what I like and don’t like. This interview made it sound so much real when it came from two “real” anchors who have been doing this for years rather than just have our professors talk to us about the subject.

Nicholas MarekSeptember 13, 2010 @ 8:52 pm
  11. The interview with Mark Curtis and Lin Sue Cooney can be defined in one word: interesting. As I was coming into the interview I had a feeling that the anchors would be a one sided person. Slowly, as the interview progressed, I came to find that these anchors are really interesting, funny, quirky, and down to Earth. Their advice seemed to be very insightful and enlightening as well. A particular piece of advice I found very helpful was when they told us that if you love this business then there are a job for you. At first I didn’t know what to think, did I really love this business? Then towards the end they told me that people in the newsroom are interesting and very intelligent. As those words came out of their mouth I couldn’t help but to think that I would love this job! Thank you Mark Curtis and Lin Sue Cooney for influencing my new outlook on journalism.

Andrew JonesSeptember 13, 2010 @ 8:58 pm
  12. I think this Must See Monday really emphasized the human element of broadcast journalism. Mark Curtis and Lin Sue Cooney talked about how their personal lives were affected by their job and this industry. They talked about numerous other things from the changing of the industry, their favorite stories, and to the duties of anchors to be objective. I think that Mark Lodato did a good job of mediating and keeping the meeting up beat. The biggest thing I got out of this Must See Monday was probably that if you love journalism and you want to really want your career to be in journalism then you can do it. The thing you have to watch out for, with any job is not getting too involved in your work and forgetting your family. They said it best at the end of the MSM that journalism is about balance. Balance with your skills, balance with work and family, and balance in your life.

Nick PreteSeptember 13, 2010 @ 9:03 pm
  13. For tonight’s Must See Monday, NBC 12 anchors Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis spoke about the broadcast side of journalism. The two offered different insight about their career as far as how they got to where they are now and other various things.
    An interesting thing to note (for me personally at least) is how Lin Sue Cooney’s initial interest was in print and magazines. I, too, have always been more interested in writing and publishing; broadcast has never really crossed my mind as something to do in the future. For Ms. Cooney, it was her time spent in college where she was required to learn about multiple aspects of journalism (print, broadcast, and so on) that eventually led her to being in broadcast.
    For Mr. Curtis, his path towards journalism consisted of studying medicine, getting a BS in Psychology, bartending, and running a late-night country radio station before entering the field.
    Both Mr. Curtis and Ms. Cooney’s history and past work shows that the possibilities are endless as far as where one may end up. It also says that we as young journalists must expand our horizons and really gain all the experience we can as college can be a very important and opportunistic place (especially at Cronkite) if we take advantage of it.
    “Learn as much as you can,” Ms. Cooney stated. This small piece of advice is key for anyone who wishes to succeed in the field of journalism. The more knowledge one knows in the different aspects of journalism results in he or she being that much more versatile. This versatility is dire in such a competitive field and every chance that one has to learn more can only open more doors.

Ashley HainesSeptember 13, 2010 @ 9:04 pm
  14. I wasn’t too interested in going tonight because broadcast journalism is last on my level of interest, but it was actually pretty interesting tonight.

I fully understand now the use of social media with journalism. Before, when I mentioned that I needed to sign up for Twitter and follow the Cronkite school on Face Book and people would question why, my usual response was “The overlords said so.” However, now I understand that it is used more for our marketplace of ideas. It’s another source to read the news – quick excerpts to tell you what is going on and then to peak your interest so you investigate more. I also learned the downside of the social media. Having to respond to every fan that contacts you would be tedious and the chance of angering a fan by not responding would always be thought on my mind. Also, the site would have to be used professionally only, not for any personal use like I have been the whole time I’ve written this.

It’s obvious news services are moving to the internet – it’s too easy to read headlines, watch clips, get any story you need on your 3G phones, iPod Touch’s in a wifi hotspot and your laptop and the stress is being taken away from tangible newspapers and magazines and 5 o’clock news programs. Lin Sue Cooney said she even reads the news online and Mark Curtis said that 50% of their journalists are digital media journalists. The future of journalism, for better or for worse is going on the Internet. This helps further digital media is the specialization I should go with, or public relations but that’s for another time.

As I’ve never been too interested in broadcast, I didn’t even think about ratings, but I bet in a professional world, ratings, hits, views, copies sold, whatever it’s called where you are working is a big factor in what is published and covered.

Broadcast has to be more flexible than newspapers when it comes to their elements or news. What was breaking news a minute ago can be overshadowed when something bigger happens ten minutes before going on the air and you are doing everything on the spot, at the site to deliver the news to your viewers.

I liked that the Channel Twelve anchors said that while you may have a direction you want to see things going, but your boss makes you change it because they want another angle that you do need to set a line that you won’t cross and do know the difference between right and wrong when getting your story.

Matt LongdonSeptember 13, 2010 @ 9:11 pm
  15. Tonight, Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis explained that journalism, “like any career worth it’s salt”, is going to require us to make sacrifices. The best piece of advise they gave us was to balance to the best of our abilities our professional and personal lives. They also touched on the relevance and importance of social media, and encouraged us as students to use college as an opportunity to explore and familiarize ourselves with the different types of journalism, because the world of journalism is always adapting to better suit both modern technology and people’s busy schedules.

Carole MurphySeptember 13, 2010 @ 9:16 pm
  16. Although I’m not leaning towards the broadcast side of journalism, listening to the interview with Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis was really interesting because of the advice they were giving about balance in any career and the personal side of every business you could end up getting yourself into.
    I was surprised to find out how personal being a news anchor was. I realized how much work was involved and how it takes a certain caliber of person to be cut out for the job, but I never really realized the toll it could take on your life at home and outside of the news room. It would take so much effort and focus to be able to set yourself apart from family and business and deal with the stress of everything in both realms of your life.
    I also found it really heartwarming how the news anchors took their jobs so seriously, not on a career level, but just with the fact that they played the part in keeping America calm and safe with their media presence. I really enjoyed hearing how Mark Curtis explained how he grew up with Walter Cronkite and wanted to mirror his actions by being the person that his audience counted on every night when crisis came.

Ashley LooseSeptember 13, 2010 @ 9:17 pm
  17. Seeing tonight made me think of my favorite anchors growing up back home in Houston, Texas. I remember seeing Marvin Zindler on 13 eye-witness news, ABC. He was a familiar face, someone every one knew and loved. Seeing the students that are from Arizona, they were amazed to be so close to those faces they knew and had watched on television every day. It was interesting to hear from them personally, how their lives were affected within their job selection. It was fun to hear what their favorite stories were personally, as well as hearing what they had to say about balance in life. I find it personally scary to think you could grow further from your family, within your job choice. A balance has to be present within whatever choices you make in life and things that are meant to be valued. I hope to maintain a balance between my love for journalism and family and friends in life. This must see Monday didn’t affect me as much as it probably would if I were to live in Arizona, but it was still interesting to hear what they had to say and share to everyone.

Taylor MoonSeptember 13, 2010 @ 9:36 pm
  18. Tonight’s Must See Monday event hosted by Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis was a great way to hear about the reality of journalism from professionals. The local 12 News anchors spoke about how they both fell into broadcast journalism accidentally. Cooney knew she wanted to do journalism but was more interested in the print side of it. This struck me as a print journalist student when she said that it is easier to go from broadcast to print than it is from print to broadcast. It made m think that I might want to explore my options while at Cronkite School before completely making up my mind. Curtis on the otherhand started off in pre-med finished in psychology and only later went back to school to be a journalist after interning at a broadcast news station and falling in love with it.
    I think the most valuable part about listening to them speak was hearing their honesty. They both shared how time consuming and emotionally tolling a career in journalism can be. Lin Sue Cooney told her difficult experience when reporting on 9/11 and Mark Curtis expressed the hardship of revealing the death of former ASU football player, Pat Tilman. The fact that they were so upfront and realistic with us made me feel like they want us to be completely passionate and sure about the career path we are choosing.
    Both of the news anchors hosted an honest night for aspiring young journalists. I will take three main pieces of advice after hearing them speak:
    1. Find balance between your career and your life.
    2. Learn to be a mulit-media journalist who can shoot your own videos, take your own pictures, and write and edit your own stories.
    3. And last but absolutely not least, I learned that in journalism you will sometimes have to do things you don’t want to do, but if it’s what you love and what you’re passionate about, it will all be worth it.

Monique ZatcoffSeptember 13, 2010 @ 9:50 pm
  19. This was the first “Must See Monday” that I decided to attend and the night did not disappoint. My parents have watched 12 News for as long as I can remember, so the opportunity to actually see these anchors in person was an honor.

Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis made some very valid points throughout the night; however, when Curtis stated that his goal as an anchor was to “be the voice of reason, voice of calm,honesty and integrity” in a time of crisis, he truly opened my eyes to the type of journalist I hope to become one day. I believe people take this role in society for granted in today’s day in age, but Mark Curtis brought back why the news is so incredibly important. A Journalist’s job is to be “the beacon of hope” and be able to be one of the only sources of stability for society when times are trying in the world.

Another answer from Mark Curtis that really hit close to home was his recollection of Pat Tillman’s death. My family and I have been ASU and Cardinal fans since I was a baby and Pat Tillman was always a hero to me even before he enlisted. I still remember the exact moment I found out Pat Tillman died. It was comforting to see the Mark Curtis had the same reaction as my family and I. Curtis’ courage to report the news of his death was amazing and that moment signified why he is such a great journalist.

Overall, I enjoyed our time with Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis. These two people seemed genuinely real and did not try to sugar coat the industry. They gave us their point of view on their careers without trying to hide anything. I felt that I could relate to the both of them because they made me feel comfortable. All in all it was a great night!

Shelby TillSeptember 13, 2010 @ 10:02 pm
  20. I arrived to this week’s Must See Monday forgetting who the speakers were. To my astonishment, it was none other than Mark Curtis and Lin Sue Cooney. They had a lot of information to give for me to soak in, and not in a negative away. They had stories to tell but more or less advice for the next generation of journalist. The majority of the advice was about balance and time management. Like us college kids need to know more about that.
    It’s a hard, cold world out there and it’s hard to obtain a job during this financial itch, per say, that the government can’t seem to scratch. Even so, Mark Curtis and Lin Sue Cooney stressed on to forget about that and focus on your career and to do as much as you can. Basically, try to do everything so you know what you like and dislike. This can help you narrow out the path you want to take for your career.
    Another topic they mentioned was about your personal life and privacy as a journalist. Now and days, journalists have Twitter and Facebook accounts for their audience. People can see their posts and may pass judgments on whether they like it or not. Even so, it is the journalist’s responsibilities to put what’s meaningful and accurate. This can be harder for journalists who are women for the reason that they are more likely to get stalkers. Sad and creepy, if you ask me.
    After listening to these and numerous other topics that were brought up with Mark Curtis and Lin Sue Cooney, I took some of the advice that was mention to heart. Whatever career I decide to do, I know that sacrifices will and need to be made. Being a woman, I know that will be harder because, when I’m a lot older, I’ll eventually want to start a family of my own. Lin Sue Cooney made me realize that there will probably be recitals or games that I won’t be able to make for my child due to conflicts with work. As heart crushing as that was, I know that it is true. The road to have a good paying job, being a good mother, and a good wife is going to be a long bumpy road. However, I know that I will be showing my children that a woman is able to work just as hard as men do.

Rebecca AlvaradoSeptember 13, 2010 @ 10:09 pm
  21. Tonight’s Must See Monday’s guests were Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis, two anchors from Channel 12 News. They shared their experiences on how they got into this business, how they keep boundaries between their personal and professional lives, and the difficulties and responsibilities of their careers. They explained how the broadcasting industry has changed throughout the years and they have had to adjust to it. For example, blogging and using Facebook is now a required part of their job. Their goal is to relate to their audience on a personal level. However, they state the importance of not crossing the line, for their own safety and also so their viewers do not misinterpret their words. Another thing Cooney and Curtis discussed was how some stories are more difficult to report than others. For example, stories about 9/11 and Pat Tillman’s death came up in this discussion about how they were personal and hard to report, but they still had to go on the air and tell the audience what was happening in an impartial way. During tonight’s Must See Monday, Cooney and Curtis proved that their careers have become more difficult over the years, and that they have to be on top of the changing technologies to succeed in their jobs. Also, they sometimes have to overcome things that may be difficult or uncomfortable in order to be good at what they do. This made me realize that there is a lot more to broadcast anchor’s jobs that we as an audience don’t see on the TV.

Charlotte DasSeptember 13, 2010 @ 10:32 pm
  22. Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis shared tons of interesting information with Cronkite Students tonight at Must See Monday. I really enjoyed listening to them talk first hand about their most memorable moments and exciting experiences. Both of them started out in different majors and slowly found themselves in broadcast journalism. Mark first started out in pre-med then switched to psychology. He went on to graduate with a degree in psychology but wound up enrolling at American University to pursue a career as a sports writer. Lin Sue Cooney started out in print journalism and then realized the face of television was where she belonged. Being a news anchor isn’t just reading off a teleprompter, they both stressed the different responsibilities that come along with this job along with the sometime tedious hours. Social media was a big topic that received a lot of attention. They are both required to have facebook and twitter which they most update daily. There were pros and cons to that, both explaining that they did not allow it to invade their personal lives. Balancing was something that they both agreed was key to being a successful journalist. Dealing with a busy schedule, raising a family, attending to your children all has to balance out in a way that benefits everyone. Some days are dedicated to work and others to their families. The role of an anchor today hasn’t really changed. They both agreed that you must be a good communicator and connect with your audience. Give back to your community, volunteer, and do as much as you can to make it a better place. The goal is to be the voice of reason. I really enjoyed listening to Lin Sue Cooney an Mark Curtis and I hope that one day I will be just as successful!

Allison WeissSeptember 13, 2010 @ 10:37 pm
  23. Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis are anchors from 12 News. They spoke to us about how they got into the business and how it influences their life. Lin got into the business by having to taking all the courses at Northwestern and then she decided to switch from print to broadcast. Mark got into broadcast by accident also, he was pre-med at U of G and he didn’t like math so he switched to psychology. After that he was a bartender and he stepped in as a radio DJ. Then he went to American, got an internship and wrote sports for the weekend news. His advice to us was to “Get all the experience you can. Don’t jus go in during the days you have to [during your internship], go in the days you don’t have to also and make friends in the industry.” Lin describes that broadcast today involves “more work and less time.” They hold a lot of different responsibilities. The business has changed because you have to keep track of fans with social media. Lin says, “You should not be able to tell our political affiliation or how we feel when we are reading stories or were not doing our job.”
    They are required to have facebook and twitter throughout the day to keep up with all of the new media. Their advice is to be careful to expose yourself too much. Deciding what to tweet or post each day is important that it cannot be too personal.
    Mark aspires to be like Cronkite and want so to be the voice of reason, calm and honesty and integrity when there is sadness, conflict and terrorism. He wants people to feel like they can turn on 12 news and can be comforted while listening to the stories. Switching from sports to news was hard because he was going from athlete interviews to the death of a tragic American hero or hurricane Katrina. It is important for him to tell the story of a person’s life. It is inspiring to see how much they love what they do and how it influences they’re life.

Erica WiedemeierSeptember 13, 2010 @ 10:38 pm
  24. Tonight we learned a lot about the busy lives of broadcast journalists. Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis talked to us about the exciting world of working in the channel 12 News studios. They both shared their experiences and the hardest parts of having a busy career as an anchor for broadcast news. They said that this career can be very stressful and there is more work to get done in less time. Breaking news can happen right before the news is about to be aired and then everything else that was just prepared goes out the window and its all about live reporting.
    Another important point that they talked about tonight was that this career requires you to be able to balance your personal life with your job. I do believe that they are right when they say that this is an extremely rewarding career to have because everyday, they send news out to thousands of people that are waiting to hear what is really going on.
    As a news reporter, one must always be the voice of reason and keep a factual and unbiased tone. Lin Sue says this is hard at times when reporting on stories of abuse or crime. A reporter must decide how far they are willing to go to get the story across, whether that means putting people on television that don’t want to be on it.
    Mark said that one thing he learned from Walter Cronkite was that when he reported on events that were tragic, but he made it sound like everything would be okay.
    They said to take advantage of all the opportunities we have here. Come out of college employable and well rounded.

Breanna KleinSeptember 13, 2010 @ 10:42 pm
  25. The overriding theme of tonight’s discussion with NBC 12 anchors Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis was balance. The great thing about this topic is that it applies to both my Ethics class and my Online Media class. As far as ethics goes, one of the things that is constantly harped on is to seek the truth and report it, and if one is to do this, a balanced story that covers all sides of the subject is necessary. Curtis frequently said he tries to be the voice of reason that provides the news to his viewers, but he also said in order to so, it is necessary to report the news in an unbiased way. Ethically speaking, this couldn’t be more relevant. This reinforcing discussion with visible media professionals made it clear that to be the best journalist I can be and do my job best, a firm ethical foundation is required. Another aspect of balance discussed this evening — this being more relevant to my Online Media class — was the importance of being balanced in the sense of having a well-rounded set of skills at one’s disposal. In Online Media, I am learning how to use the Internet to enhance my reporting and follow in line with the way people are getting their news today. Curtis and Cooney both use social media not only to promote content broadcast on NBC 12 but also to help foster a more personal relationship with their viewers. In addition, having balance makes one more “hirable,” according to Curtis. As I have learned in all of my classes at the Cronkite School, news consumers are looking more to be involved in a conversation rather than to be told the news and have the conversation stop there. Once again, it was another great lecture, and as always, the speakers had encouraging things to say about the journalism industry, which further solidifies my choice to pursue a journalism degree.

Karsten DeuschleSeptember 13, 2010 @ 10:55 pm
  26. I really liked hearing Mark Curtis and Lin Sue Cooney talk about what it was like to be an anchor. The two had really good chemistry together, which is why I think they should have just done the speech regular style instead of interview style. One thing I was disappointed to hear was sometimes you might be working really hard on a story and just when your almost finished a bigger story comes and you have to go cover that. That would really frustrate me; I don’t like to see my hard work get wasted. The main point Curtis and Cooney were trying to get across was that you need to draw a line in the sand somewhere when it comes to reporting controversial subjects. I was very disappointed to hear that because I don’t want to have a line in the sand anywhere, I want to tell the stories that get everyone talking which are usually the most controversial ones. I hope that Curtis, Cooney, and other anchors won’t look down on me if I choose to report those kinds of stories.

Casey RusnakSeptember 13, 2010 @ 11:03 pm
  27. Tonight’s Must See Monday was the best Cronkite Event so far, in my opinion. It surprised me of the angle that was taken tonight. I like the fact that both anchors talked about their personal life, and the changes they could have made and the favorite experiences both of them have had. The talk made me consider specializing in broadcast journalism more, or at least be more familiar with the procedure and equipment of the field. The focus of being a rounded journalism is something I intend to strive for, and think more students should follow the same lead. Like they said, most of the new hires and the current people in the journalism industry are multimedia; they write, shoot and edit all of their own work. The Must See Monday events are definitely inspiring, I’m already looking forward to the one next week!

Jordee KalkSeptember 13, 2010 @ 11:09 pm
  28. The interview tonight with Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis gave an insight on broadcast journalism and how the job affects the lives of the people who work in the industry. Both Curtis and Cooney described the difficulties of having a job that requires so much time and effort. The balance between family and work is obviously a difficult thing, but for both the anchors it seemed like they knew what they were talking about. Curtis talked about being a better father while Cooney discussed the difficulties of balancing her children and her job. This definitely provided insight to the life of a journalist. More than once I have heard that this is a time consuming job that can jeopardize relationships. This makes me wonder how much I would be willing to give up for my potential line of work.
    Another point that I found interesting was when Curtis discussed how important it is presently to be able to work more than one job. For example, a broadcaster should not only know how to do their job, but also how to write, work cameras, and more. This point is something that I’ve heard about more than once. Now more than ever it is so important to have a job that cannot be replaced and to be able to do more than one job. If we prepare ourselves in this way, we will succeed in the industries we go into in the future.

Diana LustigSeptember 13, 2010 @ 11:11 pm
  29. Tonight, our Monday night speakers were two Broadcast Journalists and also anchors from Channel 12 news. Lin Sue Cooney and Mar Curtis gave wonderful advice for the entire journalist but especially broadcast journalists. They emphasized on not being bias and making sure you produce the best story you can. They stressed that at times it will be hard to play by the rules but do what you think is right and that is best for your job and for the people you are writing or reporting about. Lin and Mar left lasting impressions. It was great to hear from speakers that where from the position I am going for. They expressed how some stories are tough to report but for the audience you have to keep it together and also be careful of what you say and show. Lin was able to cover September 11 and discussed on how you have to keep composure for the audience even if your freaking out inside. Mar had also reported for Hurricane Katrina. Both talked about how you must deliver the work. It was very inspiring and it helped to talk about my major in a more in depth way.

Jenna BordenSeptember 13, 2010 @ 11:45 pm
  30. After meeting with tonight’s guest speakers, Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis from Channel 12, I was more aware of the ugly side of Journalism. This whole time I’d been thinking that it would be great to be a reporter and cover stories about real people. The only thing I really worried about was getting a job, considering the print market and demand has really gone downhill. But after I got imaginary job everything else would be great.

That is a naïve and unrealistic dream.

Both expressed that they enjoyed their jobs; they were satisfied by what they did and how they helped the community. Both believed that Journalism is important and that you have a duty to the public to be objective. But the job does take a toll. Like Mark said, the business can be hard on relationships and your personal life. Sometimes you have to report something you don’t want to or cover a heart breaking story.

As a reporter in this day and age, you have to be familiar with social media sites. You have to use them as a tool to get your audience to tune in. But at the same time, there’s a line between how personal you get when using these sights because you don’t want people to get the wrong impression or stalk you. And then there’s blogs, which many people read but often don’t get objective information from. Blogs do not get checked and often the line between fact and fiction is blurry.

You have to make sacrifices for your career that you may come to regret later in life. You miss concerts, recitals, games, etc. As a woman it’s even harder because on top of your busy job, you’re still expected to take care of the family.

Despite the harsh reality of the business, I still want to be a reporter. I think it’s important for us to realize that this road isn’t going to be easy and learn ahead of time to deal with what is thrown at you.

DiAngelea MillarSeptember 13, 2010 @ 11:48 pm
  31. I really enjoyed listening to Mr. Mark Curtis and Mrs. Lin Sue Cooney talk. They had really great advice and some incredible stories. I had never really thought about the things that we could potentially be sacrificing to become journalists. On the other side of that are all the amazing things that we could end up having if we do become journalists. Lin Sue Cooney also made a great point when she said that any career that you plan on going after is going to have some sacrifices. I really enjoyed the story Mark Curtis told of when he met Muhammad Ali. They told us of all the potential things we would be in for if we did continue in this path. They all so talked about how every single day is different, from going out and interviewing someone to covering the breaking news. They are both really interesting and down to earth people. I am really glad I went to go listen to them.

Cassandra CastanedaSeptember 13, 2010 @ 11:57 pm
  32. For the sake of objectivity, I will first admit to my hesitance in attending tonight’s “Must See Monday,” simply for the reason that both Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis are both broadcast journalists, a field that I have absolutely no intention of going into. In attending, I learned three prime lessons: firstly, my overzealous assumptions will imminently steal from me valuable experiences, the unpredictability of the journalistic field could land me in almost any position, and lastly, journalism is not categorized (nor does it have “branches”) but works together to produce an image of uniformity.

If there is one message that I’ve drawn from my few weeks in college, it’s that assumptions will only lead to trouble. Nothing is ever as it seems; college should be regarded with open and unveiled eyes, otherwise opportunities will unregrettably pass me by. This revelation was most relevant tonight, while drawing insight from the Channel 12 News Team and Lin Sue Cooney especially. It was almost as if all her responses had been tailored to my appeal, from her avid love of writing to her dream of working with TIME Magazine. Not only is this my very aim, but she also tackled tougher subjects that I’ve been internally battling; a proper balance of the professional and personal.

I’ve come to the realization that there is no blatant line drawn in the sand that will allot you time with your family and an opportunity to be successful in your career. To my dismay, the two often melt into one another, and your life becomes an awkward mesh of work and play. It’s a dual role and isn’t interchangeable; on a professional level your audience is attracted to the personality that you offer to your role as their informant, and on a personal level, your family grudgingly accepts that you must relinquish some of yourself to this audience. Knowing this, I haven’t quite comprehended the intensity of its affect of my future, but am willing, as Lin Sue Cooney said, to pursue this career because it is my passion.

To address my last realization of the night, I no longer differentiate between broadcast journalism and print journalism; I did so because I regarded print with a higher admiration than its counterpart. Despite their differences, they both seek to do the same thing in being “the voice of reason, the voice of calm.. a tempest in the storm” (Mark Curtis).

Brittany MorrisSeptember 14, 2010 @ 12:03 am
  33. Out of all journalism careers, I desire least to be an anchor. When I speak, I often stumble upon my words; my sentences tumble out before I can even recognize them. Part of this deficiency attributes to my finicky, anxious personality.

However, despite my troubles with articulating, I love to watch and learn from those who can communicate effectively. Mark Curtis and Lynn Sue Cooney tonight told aspiring journalists the behind-the-scenes of a fast-paced, struggling career. Through their communication, I got an honest idea of journalism not only as a career, but as a lifestyle. As my life slowly develops into a cohesive, professional whole, I hope to raise a family. And Mrs. Cooney and Mr. Curtis explained the tenets of this dream, the struggles of balancing a career with a family. I appreciate this honesty because many of our teachers will not delve into this important aspect of living and surviving. They will remain only at the austerity of a journalism education. With Mrs. Cooney and Mr. Curtis I now know more about a journalism life.

“[College is about] the way you learn to support yourself, how [to learn] to make money,” said Cooney.

For me, these words held the greatest relief. Because of these broadcast journalists, and despite my lack of inspiration in the broadcast field, I no longer worry about the obstacles of my future career. Instead, I accept the suffering, and hope for success.

Harmony HuskinsonSeptember 14, 2010 @ 12:16 am
  34. Tonight at “Must See Mondays,” our guest speakers were Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis, anchors of channel 12 News. Everything both of these professionals said tonight was very helpful and inspiring. Like Lin Sue Cooney I first developed my passion for journalism through writing poetry and keeping a personal journal. I love to write whether it is stories, or personal thoughts, writing is how I became interested in journalism. Cooney and Curtis both made it clear that the job of a journalist requires a lot of time and dedication which will interfere with family and social time, but we just have to know what our priorities are and manage our time well. One thing that I really enjoyed hearing was when Cooney mentioned that one of their biggest responsibilities is to give back to the community. Being an anchor isn’t just about being on television and covering stories, but also by contributing to the community and making a difference by lending a hand. That is what I strive for, I want to make a difference and be that voice of reason and calm that Mark Curtis mentioned.

Liliana BecerraSeptember 14, 2010 @ 12:25 am
  35. As I continue studying journalism at the Cronkite School, I plan to take the advice Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis gave at tonight’s “Must See Monday” and apply it to my experiences. I’m really glad both anchors explained what journalism students must do in order to succeed in today’s industry. Currently, the transforming journalism world requires journalists to be able to perform multiple tasks. Journalists can no longer just know how to write, edit video content, or shoot a story. The more journalists know how to do today the better. Cooney and Curtis’s advice on becoming a well-rounded journalist supported the notion that journalists today work in a multimedia world. By making yourself as diversified as possible, you make yourself more employable. Cooney and Curtis also expressed how college is the time to build a set of life skills and discover your passion. Within the first month I’ve been at the Cronkite School, I have already noticed how many opportunities are available to truly diversify one’s self and expand one’s capabilities as a journalist. I also noticed how I have already started discovering what areas of journalism I enjoy and which ones I don’t like as much. By being able to define which areas I prefer, I feel confident that I can find a niche for myself while still experimenting with various journalistic practices. After Cooney and Curtis’s presentation, I sense that I have found the right major for myself. I truly feel passionate about journalism. At times I know it will be challenging, but I look forward to the experiences each day will hold and the diverse people I will have the chance to meet along the way. By striving to be a “voice of reason,” as Curtis said, I hope to share the fascinating stories that come from various people I meet and objectively report events and happenings that occur.

Erin KennedySeptember 14, 2010 @ 12:25 am
  36. What do news anchors really do? Do they just sit behind a desk, look pretty, and read from a teleprompter all day? Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis from 12 News in Phoenix explained that being an anchor person takes a lot more than the audience at home may think. Now working as top news anchors in the Phoenix market, both agree that story telling and being a good, successful journalist is what keeps them going everyday. To them, it was an “accident” career, it was not what they intended on pursuing. The benefits of being a television news journalist are remarkable. The passion Lin and Mark expressed was highly conceivable. “The goal,” Curtis said, “is to be the voice of reason… knowledge… to be the comforting, assuring voice that makes sense of what’s going on in the world.”

I really enjoyed what both anchors had to say about working in the field. On a personal note, I felt a connection to what Curtis said about having a daughter who pursued the same field that he did. However, my father who works for CBS in Los Angeles, never tried to dissuade me from my career choice. “News is in our blood,” he always says. I understood what both Lin and Mike had to say about sacrificing certain aspects of their lives to be good at what they do, career-wise. I also found their points on connecting with the community through social media outlets and local events very interesting. Their lecture tonight made me realize that even in a smaller news market, an anchor is still more than a person who sits behind a desk and reads the news. Especially in today’s world, being well educated in every aspect of the field is going to be important whether I choose a career in front of or behind the camera.

Hannah ButtonSeptember 14, 2010 @ 1:32 am
  37. Today’s Must See Monday was probably the most exciting experience I will ever have. I love watching 12 News and I could not believe that the two news anchors that I watch almost daily were in the same room as I was. I enjoyed listening to both Lin Sue and Mike as they talked about how they sort of “stumbled” upon the career of broadcast journalism. The fact that their primary focus wasn’t broadcast was interesting to me. Lin Sue was more interested and writing and Mark had been all over the place from pre-med to a DJ.
    Because I am interested in broadcast, I really enjoyed learning about the “behind the scenes” work that is associated with broadcast. The life of a broadcast journalist isn’t always glamorous. You don’t just automatically become an anchor and the road to becoming one isn’t easy. You must start at small and be very versatile. Lin Sue mentioned how most places are looking for multimedia journalists, people who are essentially their own “crew”. You are responsibility for shooting and editing your own piece. There are long work hours involved and tons of hard work and dedication. I like how both Lin Sue and Mark mentioned that you must be able to keep your priorities in check. While work is important, you’re family is equally important and you must somehow find a balance in between the two. I really enjoyed this Must See Monday and cannot wait to see what the other ones have in store for me.

Arselia GalesSeptember 14, 2010 @ 2:05 am
  38. Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis gave the audience real world examples of their experience in broadcast journalism. Cooney stated that she originally intended on pursuing a career in print journalism but by luck ended up in broadcasting. Curtis had a completely different idea in mind when he originally majored in psychology. He ultimately pursued journalism as well. They both agreed that social media is key in the world today. Twitter and other social outlets help create a greater audience. But with so much news online being opinionated, it is key that news reporters are completely unbiased. Cooney stated that it is important for people in journalism to contribute to their community and really care about what is going on where you are instead of only being focused on getting to a higher market. She also made a point that this business can be hard on ones personal life and it is necessary to make time for what is important. Curtis said that he hopes to be a voice of integrity and that Walter Cronkite was a great inspiration for him. Although they said the journalism field is beginning to suffer, they also made clear that if you want it enough you will succeed.

Sadie FieldSeptember 14, 2010 @ 2:10 am
  39. Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis were truly an inspiration. Listening to how real and down to earth each were was a comforting feeling. As a kid, you hold people that you look up to to the highest standard and I’m proud to say that both did not disappoint. In my household we are strictly NBC viewers. That’s just the environment I grew up around and to see some of my favorite anchors literally right before my own eyes was something I’ll never forget. I felt absolutely comfortable sitting in a room with them especially with their constant joking and subliminal puns thrown in every now and then. Going back to the words I heard from Aaron Brown, “a good journalist makes the person [being interviewed] so comfortable that they say things they wouldn’t normally say.” I feel as though Mark and Lin Sue have that unique ability to bring assurance to their audience and have built a strong bond with their listeners just by staying true to themselves.
    Mark said a few words that I quickly jotted down so I would get them correct but as I went over my notes, they spoke to me in a way that brought chills to my arms. He advised the aspiring journalists in the room to “be the voice of reason… calm, honest, [with] integrity.” When the world today has so much negativity being bombarded at you, a great journalist has to be comforting and reassuring to the viewer. Reiterating it once more, Mark stated that you must “be the voice of reason in the storm…the beacon of hope.”
    Finally as a firm believer in women empowerment, Lin Sue brought it to the attention of the audience that this is no longer a male dominated profession. As a fellow woman, I was ecstatic to hear her ask the viewers a simple yet powerful question—Why can’t women have personal satisfaction in their career too? Sure there were times when sacrifices were made, relationships were affected and morals were questioned. What Cooney and Curtis did was made sure we all knew what we were getting ourselves into. In the end, they only further confirmed my choice of profession and gave me more ambition to achieve my dreams!

Lauren GuzmanSeptember 14, 2010 @ 8:48 am
  40. Tonight’s Must See Monday speaker series featured two local news anchors from Channel 12, Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis. Being from out of state I am not very familiar with these two anchors, so it was very interesting to see and compare local news anchors here in Arizona to news anchors back home in Minnesota. Towards the end of Cooney and Curtis’ time with Cronkite students last night I found myself intrigued by their humor and down to earth personalities. Both anchors talked passionately about the sacrifices and hardships they both faced with their time consuming jobs. But their passion and love for what they do as being journalists stood out despite their sacrifices. Both anchors emphasized on the idea that journalists/news anchors do more than just read the prompter and look good in front of the camera. Journalists do A LOT! They go get stories, interview people, put together a package, edit and then get in front of a camera to broadcast the news each night. Outsiders to the journalism world hold a common stereotype that all journalists do is look good in front of a camera, but both Cooney and Curtis crushed that stereotype. I know I take it personally when friends of mine bring up that same stereotype. We as journalists do way more than what the world thinks we do. Curtis also stressed the point that journalist need to be well rounded. The journalism world is slowly diminishing., but that multimedia journalism is on the rise and will be the future of journalism. I enjoyed hearing Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis speak last night. It definitely was a “must see” speaker night!

Christina LundSeptember 14, 2010 @ 11:12 am
  41. While listening to Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis, I thought I was riding the line of an electrocardiography (EKG) graph. There were extreme highs of emotion (see excitement) leading right into the somber moments of lack of jobs and family time. Though I may not be continuing into broadcast, I’m surprisingly glad I went. Like the cycle of an EKG machine, the night ended perfectly–exactly where it started, hopeful.
    Sitting in the second level, I was a bit more removed from the speaking, in fact, people watching became more interesting at times simply because the audience was so enraptured with Lin Sue and Mark. Their ability to hold an audience’s attention was fascinating! Despite the number of laptops open, almost none were on Facebook, Twitter, etc. Actually, only one was open to social networking.
    The emotion highs of the night came from talking about their favorite interviews and best memories. Muhammed Ali, the Pope, former-President Bill Clinton, they’ve had so many fabulous interviews! The lows came from their expression of inability to spend lots of time with their family. Though he regrets some things, I think he made it out okay. Lin Sue described her wants to keep personal and professional separate and her struggles. Honestly, I think they were too harsh of themselves. They seem to be doing a good job. The lows of the night were somber.
    But after all the happiness and the sadness, the night ended where it had started. It ended with hope of tomorrow, our careers field and our ability to continue the world of journalism. Final words of wisdom told us to strike a balance between career, family and yourself. Faces that had hung low after family stories were revived; our EKG-type of a conversation had returned to point zero: hope.

42. This Must See Monday was a very intriguing and spectacular insight into the broadcasting side of Journalism and Mass Communications. With Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis revealing new insight into their careers, the students of Walter Cronkite really got thinking about their futures within our major of choice. When Lin Sue Cooney mentioned that she wanted to be a part of print journalism to begin with, I grew excited that she was a writer at heart just like I am. When she described how her current career has given her more opportunity and she could go a lot farther with it, I began thinking of what I could do myself to better ready myself for other aspects of my major that would make me more “marketable,” as Mark Curtis said. When both were asked about their online affiliations, they said that their Facebook and Twitter accounts are strictly for work and nothing else because they do not want their family to be involved in a way that may jeopardize them. They both agreed that these online sites are usually incorrect and people rely on them too much and there is a fine line between fact and fiction when it comes to online sources. Lin Sue went on to explain that topics such as her political affiliation or religion and beliefs are never expressed because, as a news anchor, she only gives the straight facts and her opinions are hers alone and should be kept that way. I was amazed when Lin Sue Cooney said that her most memorable interview was when the Pope came and when she spoke with President Clinton. I was also very amused when Mark Curtis said his moment was when he interviewed Mohammad Ali; even though Ali didn’t have time, he gave him five minutes anyway. This night was so great and left me hanging. Knowing that they had to go back to work immediately after our conference, I had to thank them for taking the time to come and pass down some of their well-earned knowledge.

Lindsay IvinsSeptember 14, 2010 @ 1:11 pm
  43. Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis gave me a new perspective on being a Journalist. How it will effect my ambitions I don’t know, however prior to last night I had never thought about having to balance my career goals with my personal life. Not only is that thought scary, but it is even scarier that I had never thought of it before.
    One thing that helped strengthen my understanding of the Journalism field is how much they both stressed being “employable.” Journalists have to have a much deeper understanding not only the Journalism field, but also have to know the mechanics and technical specs behind producing a news broadcast or an online publication. The Journalism field is a difficult field to be part of, you work long hours that most of the time you can’t control, while maintaining a personal life. WIthout seeing Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis I would still be oblivious to the latter.

Jonathan ReidSeptember 14, 2010 @ 2:08 pm
  44. This weeks Must See Monday was the Channel 12 anchors Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis. The overwhelming theme of the night was change. Social Media has changed the way the news game is played. Cooney and Curtis must Tweet and Facebook everyday to stay one step ahead of the competition. The name of the game is ratings. Channel 12 strives to be the first to break a story and always wants to be in touch with their viewers in order to bring in ratings. I thought it was interesting that Mark Curtis felt regret and said he felt like a bad father because he let journalism get in the way of his family life sometimes. You must be dedicated and a hard worker to make it in this business.

Robert BakerSeptember 14, 2010 @ 3:23 pm
  45. Every journalist eventually stumbles upon circumstances where he or she has to go against their morals and make multiple sacrifices in order the get the latest story. Local news anchor Mark Curtis knows this concept all to well.
    “I have tremendous guilt over the father I wanted to be, over the father that I was” Curtis said.
    Curtis explained how he missed multiple family events and how he needed to have a balance in life because the journalism field is demanding, which is very difficult for relationships and the lives of the children.
    I began to second-guess myself after Curtis said those words. I thought to myself, “I want to be very involved with my family and be able to spend as much time with them as possible. So do I really want to be a producer or even in the demanding field of journalism?” I quickly responded to myself, “YES”.
    I want to be dedicated the journalism and a family. The successful career and family are both possible, but I just have to have my priorities in line as Curtis explained. Journalist will unfortunately miss events with their families, but what is more rewarding: spending as much time as possible with your family and have no other obligations or to show your children you can have a successful career and be family orientated?

Ashley ReyesSeptember 14, 2010 @ 3:27 pm
  46. Whenever I thought of journalism over the past few weeks, I never really focused on how important it is to balance the highs and lows of the career. Yesterday’s Must See Monday event focused on the one thing every journalist’s job must be composed of: balance. NBC 12 Anchors Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis both stressed the importance of poise and stability when it comes to the crazy bonuses of life: relationships, child-raising, careers, finances, and interesting artifacts in one’s soup. I was very impressed with the way these anchors talked about having successful careers and yet finding the time to spend with family.

Ms. Cooney also emphasized the importance of Internet safety, something that I, for one, have never really taken into account as a journalist. In addition, Mr. Curtis talked about the egotistical and often narcissistic nature of using a business Facebook account to update the world on one’s personal life. I was very glad he mentioned this because it seems to me that there are many people in the business world who cross the line between professional life and personal life, and I was pleased that the future generation (at least a part of it) was reminded of the world’s expectations. These professional but very friendly anchors were also careful to emphasize that we, as journalists, have the right to draw lines when it comes to one’s own morals. I was impressed by Ms. Cooney’s story of refusing to hound a little old lady who did not want to be interviewed. Her determination to do the right thing was truly admirable, and certainly a different side to the journalistic ideal of having to always share a story no matter what the cost.

Both anchors also made some interesting points regarding the future. Mr. Curtis said that the future of broadcasting is undefined because of the ever-changing technology and the media itself and Ms. Cooney even mentioned that she didn’t know if anchors would be around much longer — an opinion that took me by surprise. Even though they agreed that we don’t know what will happen in the future, it is always best to be able to do many different things as opposed to being specialized in just one major. This advice is something I will certainly take to heart.

Mr. Curtis’ words, “Don’t let anyone dissuade you from doing what you want to do,” truly hit home for me, and Ms. Cooney said something as well that I will remember till my dying day: “In any career that is worth its salt, there will be sacrifices.” I strongly agree with this statement, but thanks to both of these anchors, I know now how important it is to balance those sacrifices.

Alexis RoecknerSeptember 14, 2010 @ 4:06 pm
  47. Mark Curtis and Lin Sue Cooney’s appearance in the Cronkite student forum last night was entertaining, informative, motivating, and vexing for me all at once. It was entertaining for me because I’ve grown up watching 12 News with my parents so I was definitely excited to see some of the newscasters I’ve seen regularly on TV for many years, my favorite part was actually when Mark explained how he came to be a news anchor. I was also very informed because it gave me a firsthand insight into the life and responsibilities of a present day newscaster including all that’s expected of them aside from their daily newscast which I wasn’t previously aware of. The lecture also gave me a perspective of how much of your life this career takes up which was especially of interest to me because I’m in the early stages of deciding whether this is the career I want to pursue. Mark and Lin Sue’s description of how their profession has changed and is continuing to change definitely motivated and worried me because I was inspired to explore and learn as many of the skills and fields of journalism as possible because it seems as though that’s necessary for today’s journalist, while on the other hand it also confirmed my worry that it’s tough to find a job in this field in the current market especially one as an on-air personality because there’s only so many spots available. Overall, I thought this lecture was very insightful and entertaining and I enjoyed soaking up some knowledge of my intended profession from a couple of experienced and successful broadcast journalist.

Ryan BawekSeptember 14, 2010 @ 4:17 pm
  48. Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis were not what I expected, since they are both so known here in the Valley and can be considered local celebrities I assumed they would give a long speech and leave. But I was very wrong, in fact I was taken by surprise by how laid back and genuinely nice they were. The atmosphere in the room was always light as they told jokes and spoke about their own experiences. There were certain things they said that stayed in my mind and reassure me that this is the career I want to pursue. When Mark Curtis said “….strive to be that voice of reason in the storm” I quickly wrote it down and I took it to heart. I believe what he said is true and I hope to be that voice of reason for the Hispanic community. I also felt empowered when Lin Sue Cooney talked about how this field that used to be mainly dominated by men is now opening more opportunities for women. However, as women we face more challenges especially when raising a family because we are expected to do it all. Yet she is a perfect example that it can be done because “women can have personal satisfaction in their career”. She also emphasized on how we should strive for careers and not jobs because there is a big difference. Being a journalist has it benefits and challenges but when you can inspire people like Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis well I think that is the biggest reward.

Tanya SoteloSeptember 14, 2010 @ 6:44 pm
  49. Since I grew up in the Phoenix area, I have watched Lin Sue Cooney & Mark Curtis do their newscast each evening. However, it was an entirely different experience to see the broadcasters talk so openly about their profession.
    If I had to take one thing away from their discussion, it would be to strive for balance in work and personal life. I plan on immersing myself completely in my job, and pursuing excellence. Though this is an admirable goal, I have always been wary about the possible effects this would have on my personal life. Lin Sue Cooney & Mark Curtis helped me understand that it is indeed possible to have both a rewarding and successful career, and a family. This is certainly encouraging news.
    Lin Sue Cooney is also a great role model as a woman in broadcast journalism. She brought up the difficulties of being a woman in a male-dominated industry, and in a male-dominated society. I feel so honored that she was able to talk to us about the disparity between the sexes. While that may sound depressing, I feel more encouraged than ever about the possibility of succeeding, even as a woman in journalism.

Anna GundersonSeptember 14, 2010 @ 6:57 pm
  50. I’ve always been interested in broadcast journalism, but never did I think time management would be such a factor in this career path. In the last few weeks I have been attending ASU, time management has become incredibly crucial to my schedule. The time I spend with friends, and the time I spend dedicated to school seem to mesh a little too often. This causes late and preventable homework crunch time, and groggy attitudes in the classroom. Up until last night, I have been telling myself that all this stress over time will eventually fade. That one day I’ll get the hang of handling a personal and professional life individually.
    Listening to Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis speak of their time management, and how they struggle with it on a daily basis scared me. Within an instant, my senses became numb because I knew that I did not want to stress over time for the rest of my life. I questioned my decision of becoming a journalist. Am I doing the right thing? Did I make the right choice? Mark Curtis spoke of leaving the day after his first daughter was born and forever regretting it. Lin Sue Cooney mentioned missing games and dance recitals. It was obvious to the audience that along with becoming a journalist comes many sacrifices.
    For the remainder of the presentation, I was nervous and felt like I had made the wrong decision. That was until Lin Sue Cooney began speaking of her passion for journalism. “If you want a career that is going to be different and exciting everyday, then journalism is the career for you,” she said. Then all my senses came back and I remembered why I wanted to be a journalist. Writing and presenting the news to the public is my passion, and I will forever live by it, despite the sacrifices.

Krystal StorySeptember 14, 2010 @ 7:07 pm
  51. As local journalists, Lin Sue Cooney and Mar Curtis from Channel 12 news know a lot about the nitty-gritty of journalism. They explained to the audience how the vocation was not all glamour and covering upbeat, interesting stories. Sometimes journalists have to be prepared to cover topics that they don’t agree with, or that depress them. These types of stories can have a negative affect on the family life and personal relationships of the journalist. Controversial topics may be troublesome and cause problems, but it is necessary for someone to get the news out to the public. Cooney and Curtis recommended that, as journalists, we have limits on how controversial we want our reporting to be, but I feel as though everything newsworthy should be covered so that the general public is aware.
    As aspiring journalists, we must understand and accept that we might have to make sacrifices for our job. Because this career is so important to the community, it is vital that we do it correctly, whether we want to or not.

Sally CameronSeptember 14, 2010 @ 9:15 pm
  52. Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis from Channel 12 News were exceptionally entertaining during their entire session. It was very interesting to see two actual professionals, and not only gain some advice, but also get a sneak peak into the things that drive them forward. Most of the night, the idea of balance was the theme; a balance between your life and your career, between your family and career, etc. It became clear, that this career is very demanding, but as Lin Sue said, so is any other serious profession. Their usual day begins around 10 am, and can go on much later than expected, making a 40 hour week almost impossible. Usually it just depends on what the events for the day are, and how they play out. I learned how many times, you have to set a line for yourself that you will not cross. Lin Sue’s example was of an elderly woman who had been abused. The woman did not want to get injured again and asked Lin Sue to leave. That was a line she would not cross, and opted not to film or interview the woman. As journalists I believe it is a very important standard to set early on in your career. For Mark Curtis, the difficult times dealt with being away from his family because this career path is so demanding and inevitably busy. News comes all day, everyday, you can not control it. With that in mind, I begin to understand how someone has to work Christmas, someone has to be there to cover the stories, and those are things you have to take into account and understand that it could well be you sacrificing your time and family. Sacrifices are part of this career, but you also have to decide when too much is too much. I had a great time listening to Lin Sue and Mark and get their perspectives on the life of an active journalist.

Clarissa TapiaSeptember 14, 2010 @ 9:19 pm
  53. Must-See Monday this week featured two local anchors, Lynn Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis. Being from far away in New York, I had never heard of either of them prior to attending the speech. The pair addressed a variety of interesting topics, including social media. It was interesting to hear that both anchors are required to have Facebooks and Twitters. Obviously, they use these services in a very different capacity than any of us would. We think of them as ways to communicate with one another, stay in touch, and tell the world what we’re up to. For media professionals, they’re much more of ways to self-promote and maintain a strong online presence.

Together, the two painted a fairly realistic picture of what it’s like to be a journalist. Curtis, particularly, gave a fair deal of thought and attention to making money. Because of the importance of that, he said, he was mostly willing to lower his standards somewhat in order to help appeal to a mass audience. This willingness to cooperate with crudeness earned him the nickname “the Mayor of Pervetown.” In contrast, Cooney seemed a little more insistent on sticking to a higher moral standard. Despite the disagreement, the two effectively demonstrated that somewhat of a sliding scale exists as far as standards go, and that there is leeway in each direction.

Both Curtis and Cooney came off as down to earth, intelligent, and with keen journalistic senses. The two definitely came off as the pillars of honest objectivity that they try to be. Each seems like a good model to emulate as an aspiring journalist. Their commentary on the profession felt much more honest than most of what I have heard from other journalists, and its transparency was both refreshing and appreciated.

Nick GnatSeptember 14, 2010 @ 9:40 pm
  54. Monday night’s conversation with Channel 12’s Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis opened my eyes to the many facets of broadcast journalism and the dedication it takes to be in such a field of work. The two expressed their trials and tribulations of balancing personal and professional life and how easy it is to get caught up in one and neglect the other. Despite this struggle, Cooney and Curtis articulated themselves with poise and noted their misjudgments humbly. For instance, Curtis spoke regretfully about asking his wife to induce labor early so that he could report live from the Olympics, but is now able to make more level-headed decisions concerning his profession versus family matters.
    The conversation also enlightened me on the many roles of a broadcast journalist. Many people have this idea that news anchors simply come to work, read off of a teleprompter, then go on with their lives. Cooney and Curtis assured me that that is most definitely not the case. From emceeing events to volunteer work throughout the community to keeping up with social media, these broadcasters are kept busy to the point where something has got to give.
    As a prospective journalist I’ve always respected the figures I see on the news reporting the facts to me, but being in the presence of and hearing first hand from two real life news anchors gave me a new found appreciation. Cooney and Curtis expressed the importance of being a calm and honest voice of reason even when the most disturbing stories are unfolding, which was reassuring to know that the fundamental journalistic qualities are still being practiced and in my community.

Chelsey ParsonsSeptember 14, 2010 @ 9:50 pm
  55. For this Must See Monday session, local Channel 12 anchors Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis discussed their personal experiences, observations and insights on the journalism industry. It was interesting to hear from two professionals who became broadcast anchors “accidentally”, meaning that neither Cooney nor Curtis was initially interested in broadcast journalism when they began their college studies. This demonstrates that is important for any college student to keep an open mind throughout the early stages of their college education because different job opportunities may arise over time. Both anchors noted how dramatically the news industry has changed as a result of the Internet, Facebook, Twitter and the blogosphere as a whole. More frequently, people are relying solely on the Internet for their daily intake of news instead of turning to a newspaper, a magazine or even a news broadcast. Despite the news medium changing, Cooney and Curtis reminded us that the role of journalists has not changed dramatically. As journalists, we need to be effective communicators and storytellers who report the news objectively and thoroughly on a daily basis.

Leila O'HaraSeptember 14, 2010 @ 11:23 pm
  56. The Must-See Monday event featuring Lynn Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis was focused around presenting the real facts behind broadcast journalism that many of us overlook. An example of this is the effect that being a public figure has on the lives of popular broadcast figures. Lynn Sue Cooney shared the way in which she and her coworkers are required to have twitter and facebook accounts, adding that she discloses little personal information on them. In my mind this demonstrated that being an anchor can potentially bring about the same amount of publicity problems that many celebrities get involved with. The second aspect of broadcast journalism that stood out to me was the importance of delivering a calm message to the public. Lynn Sue’s story of having to present the news on September 11th was a clear example of the impact that anchor’s have on their audience. Another instance that I found to be interesting was the fact that Cooney asked his wife to go into labor early so that he could cover the Olympics. This showed the dedication that is involved in becoming a lead anchor for a main news station. Both Cooney and Curtis brought about the other side of broadcast journalism that I hadn’t been introduced to before, and I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about the profession.

Christie PooleSeptember 14, 2010 @ 11:26 pm
  57. Tonight’s “Must See Monday” featured local Channel 12 anchors, Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis. As a Phoenix native, I have seen both Mrs. Cooney and Mr. Curtis on the evening news more than once, and it was a great pleasure to converse with two local icons of their magnitude. The three main topics that were covered most and stood out to me were social media, money making and employability, and personal balance.

The view of social medias such as Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter were very different between Lin Sue and Mark. The issue of safety came up a lot during the time they discussed their Facebook and Twitter pages. Mark was very laid back about the outlet and what he used it for, although he did mention that it made him feel egotistical when he posts “Today I got gas in my car and am going to Starbucks.” Unlike Mark’s perspective, Lin Sue has a more reserved opinion of these networking outlets, even mentioning, “I have no problem posting things about my job and stories that will be covered, but that is where it ends.” As I was thinking about the unusualness of someone not liking Facebook, she made a valid point. As a woman who is on camera all the time and is a figure in the public eye, there are certain security precautions that she must take. It made me realize that as a future journalist, it becomes more than security, it also is a view of your professionalism and if you have obscene pictures or comments left from either you or a friend, it could hinder your reputation.

One thing that Mark seemed to talk a lot about was money and employability. Although I agreed with Mr. Curtis, that these years spent in school will teach us how to become more employable, I didn’t agree that it is all about the money. Another point that bothered me was when Mr. Curtis said, “You do what it takes to win the ratings war.” To be a good journalist, you have to have a passion and a drive that comes from something more than an amount on a paycheck. You have to want to report the news and become involved in people’s lives not only through their T.V. screen every night but also with the dedication you have towards reporting the truth in accurate time without bias. It isn’t the money (or lack thereof) that drives me to be a journalist; it is a desire to get the people informed accurately and in a timely fashion.

The other topic that caught my attention was when both Lin Sue and Mark were discussing what stories they enjoy reporting on and the ones that they don’t. The jokester that Mark Curtis is, he enjoys reading stories of a weird and sometimes grotesque nature, like a recent story he covered about a man finding a condom in his soup. The article that affected him most was one that he covered during Hurricane Katrina. He said that just looking at all the people who were sleeping on cots in the Coliseum just about killed him with a desire to help. “You can’t show emotion,” Says Lin Sue Conney. “It makes it difficult, because the stories that get me the most are the ones dealing with child abuse, neglect, and deaths, and you just have to read them as if you were reading a report on the effects of walking two minutes every day.

After going to this week’s “Must See Monday” I was very grateful to now know that there is a personal drive to becoming a journalist. No matter what people say about making money and the assignments that you are requested to do, your best bet is to follow your heart and head.

Casey CorriereSeptember 15, 2010 @ 12:03 am
  58. Wow! It was so awesome getting some incite from some people who do this everyday! I loved hearing first hand their experience and what it took for them to get to where they are and that Mark Curtis’ daughter just graduated from the Cronkite school and already working. After they were done talking I walked right up to Lin Sue to ask what it took for her to become an anchor and how many small markets she had to get through before she came to Phoenix. I was pretty surprised to hear that she was in a bigger market in Texas before coming to Arizona and actually downsized because she didn’t want to have a family in Texas.

I love hearing from people that have the career of their dreams especially when it is what I want to do one day!

Esther GraySeptember 15, 2010 @ 10:05 am
  59. This Must See Monday featured two Channel 12 News anchors, Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis. They both spoke about how they came upon broadcast journalism by accident: Lin Sue Cooney wanted to become a print journalist but at Northwestern the program made all journalism majors study radio, print, magazine, and broadcast. She had a passion for writing, and she soon realized that broadcast journalism was her true calling. Mark Curtis, however, had attended college and had graduated with a degree in Psychology, and after graduation he became a bartender; one night he became a substitute DJ, and a corporate man allowed for him to DJ at his radio station from midnight until six am. He then interned for companies and went back to college.
    Both professionals advised us that a career in journalism, especially as a broadcast journalist, would take a lot of dedication; this profession will demand all of one’s attention, and will get in the way with one’s personal life- but both anchors advised us that we will have to learn how to balance our profession with our private life.
    Lin Sue Cooney stressed that females will encounter stalkers, and she believes that her private life shouldn’t be public. She isn’t a fan of the “blogosphere” while Mark Curtis doesn’t seem too opposed. The only reason why Mrs. Cooney sends out Tweets or Facebook statuses is because it has now become a job requirement.
    This conversation was intriguing because both anchors were students, just like many of us sitting in the audience, and they were able to become local anchors. Meeting local professionals is motivating because it makes our dreams seem achievable.

Vivian PadillaSeptember 15, 2010 @ 10:28 am
  60. Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis—two names I grew up knowing. As an Arizona native, I was thrilled to hear from these two anchors Monday night, to see them in person and to get to know them as people, not just professionals. Throughout the night, Cooney and Curtis offered sage advice from “be employable” to “don’t post too much information on Facebook” and “find your passion.” But what struck me the most was the idea that news anchors are leaders in the community. As a public figure, news anchors have the ability and the responsibility to inform the viewers of not only the news, but also of quality companies and everyday heroes. Lin Sue Cooney was passionate about her role as a storyteller, insisting that good journalism arises from good writing and good story telling. I never realized the importance of the anchor’s enthusiasm for the news piece and how crucial it is for an anchor to invest himself in the story.

Kristin FankhauserSeptember 15, 2010 @ 11:05 am
  61. Before last night’s presentation by Mark Curtis and Lin Sue Cooney from Channel 12, I had not seriously considered pursuing a career in broadcast journalism. I have always found the broadcast side of journalism a bit glamorous, and had decided that print journalism was my niche. Mark Curtis’ and Lin Sue Cooney’s eye-opening portrayal of their job as a local news anchor was very interesting to me though. I realized that working as a news anchor provides the same anxiety, dilemmas, and ultimately joys that print journalism does. Furthermore, both Mark Curtis and Lin Sue Cooney brought up some interesting considerations for aspiring journalists in both the print and broadcast fields. For example, Mark Curtis and Lin Sue Cooney are required to post regular updates on Twitter and Facebook. They, like most journalists, feel that their job is to find and report the news – not “brag” about themselves on social media. Aspiring journalists need to contemplate if that is something they are willing to do. Another point Mark Curtis brought up is the importance of getting good ratings everyday. This sparked a concern in my mind – As a journalist, I want to find the news and support the exchange of knowledge, regardless of agencies. However, that is not the way journalism has ever worked. Competition is always a factor for a journalist. You can not simply go out, find the news, and report it – you also have to worry about your competition. That is not something I support, but unfortunately, I will have to come to terms with that standard before pursuing my career.

Emilie EatonSeptember 15, 2010 @ 11:19 am
  62. Being honored with two people as prestigious as Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis is something that I will remember for the rest of my life. To be able to hear about their real world experiences as news anchors was an opportunity unmatched by any previous events. The advice that was given throughout the event seemed to be focused around balance: balancing your job with your personal life. However, I found more meaning in the early story of Mrs. Cooney. She spoke of how she loved to write, but she ended up falling into the broadcast branch of journalism. Much like her, I have a passion for the writing aspect of journalism; however, she gave the advice of going into a broadcast field for the purpose of gaining more applicable skills. Because of this advice, I will most likely pursue my career in broadcast and proceed to transition into print. After the event, I asked Mrs. Cooney why she went the path opposite to her passion. She responded by telling me that her passion is still very much a part of her job, it has just taken in a different form. Through writing, a person uses words to create a picture for the reader to see, but in broadcast a reporter is no longer creating the picture, rather they are describing an already existing one. I cannot put into words how privileged I feel to have heard this advice directly from Lin Sue Cooney. Her advice will undoubtedly help to shape my coming career.

Kyle RenickSeptember 15, 2010 @ 12:09 pm
  63. This week’s Must See Monday featured Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis of 12 News. The two covered a wide range of topics from how they got into broadcast journalism to where they draw the line with stories. They part that stuck with me the most, however, was how they described the effect the media business has on their personal lives. They explained how sometimes you may feel like you have to choose between your job and your family. Having to work on Christmas, birthdays, baseball games and other important events can be hard on a family, but Lin Sue and Mark told us that as hard as it may be, it can be done. I still am not completely convinced though that trying to maintain a family and a blooming career in the news industry is possible to do without neglecting either one or the other in some way. Mark talked about how he looks back at the pressure the put on his family at times (like having his wife induce labor a day early so he could be there for his child’s birth and still make it to the Olympics) and says he regrets having to do it. As much as they emphasized that it can be done, somehow I’m still not completely convinced.

Genevieve RoublickSeptember 15, 2010 @ 1:10 pm
  64. The guest speakers tonight, Mark Curtis and Lin Sue Cooney of Channel 12 News gave insight on the journalism world. They were realistic about the profession. Curtis explained how he was not the father he wanted to be because of his work. Cooney warned about stalkers through Twitter and Facebook. They spoke of how they broke into the journalism world, which was interesting because neither of them majored in journalism. Broadcasting just fell into their laps and they took off with it. Coming off of the first Must See Monday, with Aaron Brown, it was quite a change. Professor Brown was extremely gung ho about journalism and inspiration, while Cooney and Curtis were realistic. Aaron Brown glorified the job and made me want to go out and get a story, while Curtis made me think about my family.
    As a speaker at a journalism school, I think Brown did a much better job of enthusing the crowd in what we are doing. I didn’t care or think about negatives while Professor Brown was inspiring me to become a reporter. Cooney and Curtis spoke of how it’s a business and they need to get ratings. This causes a bend in good journalism sometimes. I left the Forum with a weird feeling, not nearly as good a feeling as after Aaron Brown. Maybe knowing the realistic side is important, but I feel like the speakers should be getting the crowd excited about journalism, not telling the crowd about how he advised his daughter to not go into the journalism field.

Daniel KempSeptember 15, 2010 @ 2:20 pm
  65. First of all, I was so excited to get to see Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis in person. I watch them all the time on channel 12 so it was surreal to see them sitting in the first amendment forum. I really enjoyed hearing about how they got started in the industry by chance. Lin Sue had to take broadcast classes in college and fell in love with it whereas Mark didn’t discover his journalism bug until he covered for the DJ at work. I think it is interesting that their careers came to them by chance. Since I want to work in broadcast it was really helpful to hear their stories about life in the newsroom and the fact that finding balancing is not an impossible feat.

The changes in journalism that have happened the past 5 to 10 years have really altered the way anchors work. From being involved with facebook and twitter, there is a lot more work to do in less time. Using social media allows the anchors to connect with their changing audience, but competing with independent and sometimes false blogs causes issues with reporting news that people are interested in.

Overall, I learned to learn as much as I can and to become well-rounded in order to become employable in this age of technology.

Tessa FergusonSeptember 15, 2010 @ 3:13 pm
  66. On Monday, September 13th, Channel 12 anchor Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis came to speak to students at Must See Monday. While they offered great advice to assist us in our future careers, like getting internships early, learning as many areas of journalism as possible, and networking, they shared something much deeper – they gave insight into the sacrifices that they, as well as other broadcast journalists, have to make.

Lin Sue Cooney shared how she has missed sports games, dance recitals, and holiday dinners because of her obligation to the news. Lin Sue doesn’t hold the viewers accountable for that sacrifice though; she loves her job. Mark Curtis expressed deep regret for things he missed as a parent. He told a story of how he asked his wife to induce her labor early, so that he would be able to make a trip to cover a story.

They both warned, however, that the industry is quickly changing and as future journalists, we must stay on the cutting edge.

Marissa MarchandSeptember 15, 2010 @ 3:45 pm
  67. Learning to be the best journalist is what Mark said near the beginning of the talk, and that hit me right there. Because of the dying popularity of the anchorman, doing more than just being a good journalist is what needs to happen. You need to become a great editor of video, great videographer, and great personality. Because of the growing desire to have news whenever I you want, internet has become a bigger market over recent years. I liked when she mentioned the brad pitt story where you can pick your own avatar and your own stories whenever you want. I truly believe that’s that where news are going. Job saturation, doing all you can possible can without going crazy. Mark talked about his family and the time he wished he spent with his family. I hope my career doesn’t go like that. Business can be hard on a personal life. I guess phoenix mirrors LA and southern California in media. The goal of college, learn to become employable. In the workplace, everyday is different.

John MoranSeptember 15, 2010 @ 4:10 pm
  68. On television, 12 News anchors Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis seem sincere, knowledgeable and trustworthy. After coming to speak to Cronkite students at Must See Mondays, they proved that they are all of that and much more. Cooney and Curtis spoke to us as down to earth, everyday people. Hearing their genuine words were refreshing and assuring in the sense that it is possible to be a television news sensation while remaining true to oneself. A reoccurring theme for the night was balance. It is essential for every person, no matter the career path, to draw the line between personal life and their profession, along with sticking to their priorities. As a young woman, it was encouraging to hear Ms. Cooney speak from experience that although it can be challenging at times, women can absolutely be a professional journalist and maintain a household. The two speakers also stressed the importance of honesty, integrity and accuracy amidst conflict occurring in the news. They said that they both personally strive to be a voice of reason for their audience in the storm. Equally as critical is to be a good communicator, a good storyteller, and diversified. Possessing these qualities will make a journalist more employable. After all, the more you can do, the more employable you can be, especially in this time of ever changing journalism. I really connected with the last piece of advice Ms. Cooney shared. She reminded us to live our jobs with passion, which is something that will make every day exciting, a challenge, and something new.

Gabriela RodilesSeptember 15, 2010 @ 4:19 pm
  69. I was excited for Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis. I’m from the valley, I grew up watching 12 news, I even remember when Mark Curtis did sports and Kent Dana was the lead anchor. One could say I even looked to them as role models. To put it nicely, I was disappointed. Cooney and Curtis told of the harsh realities of a carrer in journalism, it seemed the entire night was focused on it. Mark Curtis talked about how sometimes it is about the ratings and the “pervy” stories. Lin Sue talked about being stalked. One of the few positive comments I heard was that you meet very interesting people and work with smart, witty people; also, that you never know what the day holds. They spoke about how journalism is a dying field. One good piece of advice they gave us was that you need to be well-rounded. You need to know how to write, edit, shoot, the works. In order to get the job, you need to know how to perform three jobs. For me though, Mark Curtis humming taps was the cherry on top of an interesting Must See Monday.

Torunn SinclairSeptember 15, 2010 @ 4:42 pm
  70. Last Monday, September 13, we were visited by local news anchors Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis. They were really great to watch and talked with us mainly about how to be a good journalist. Most of the stuff they talked about applied more to the broadcast majors but it was still really interesting. Since there is a growing desire to have news whenever we want it the internet is quickly becoming our favorite source which will soon demolish the job market for anchors entirely. Jokingly, they spoke of little avatar Brad Pitts and Angelina’s being our anchors and a spot to type in what kind of news we are looking for that day. With that we as a society would be able to control the flow of the news we receive and might not be as informed. Mark spoke a lot about balance. Balance of work and home, balance of being a father with a full time journalistic job and the weight this kind of job will carry in our lives as we progress forward.

Ariel LanktonSeptember 15, 2010 @ 4:46 pm
  71. This Monday was the conversation with Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis from Channel 12. As a local Arizona resident I have watched these two for several years; even when Curtis was the sports anchor. I liked the discussion very much and I thought Assistant Dean, Mark Lodato asked some very interesting questions. I thought it was neat to hear what Lin Sue and Mark had to say about today’s social media; Twitter and Facebook. They kind of have a negative feeling toward both, I thought. Lin Sue talked about how she has been stalked and that she is very cautious about photos and information about her family and kids. Mark was very straight forward, in a way that he says he only talks about news and show topics. I personally don’t think having a Twitter account is necessary, and didn’t really want one. However, I do understand the networks point and interest in the social media sites. Overall I thought the discussion was very informative and inspiring; another “Must See Mondays” well done!

Emily HopwoodSeptember 15, 2010 @ 4:51 pm
  72. The event tonight with Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis gave a realistic view into the lives of TV anchors. The advice about balance I thought could even be applicable right now for all of us students before we achieve careers. What they had to say about the fine line between what the business side wanted reported and the ethics of a journalist was refreshing in the sense that they acknowledged that news stations are not always perfect journalism. That also presented the idea that as journalists we are going to come across some struggles trying to fit into a business run world. The insight they gave us into their own lives about how their career affects their families was interesting. They were really honest, much more than I would have thought. I think their honesty and candidness was what made me enjoy the event the most. They didn’t sugar coat anything for the students which was nice because it put them in a position that they weren’t talking down to us or keeping something from us.

Kathryn MyklesethSeptember 15, 2010 @ 4:59 pm
  73. Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis were very interesting speakers. I learned a lot from them. Each of the two primetime reporters began their college careers in other majors. Cooney began as an English and PolySci major at Northwestern and Curtis initially was a Psychology major at University of Georgia. They spoke of how the job has changed, how almost everything revolves around the “blogosphere” today. Journalists need to be prepared to do more with media journalism, as opposed to simply writing and reading it back. To these reporters, it is important for an anchor to be the voice of reason, integrity, clam, and honesty in times of panic and anger. Anchors need to be impartial. They also need to be a good storyteller as well as a good communicator. I was somewhat turned off by the profession when Mark told of what a strain it put on him and his family and the father he wanted to be. My family is going to be very important to me, and if this job sends me all over the country, then maybe it’s not for me. This interview was very enlightening for me.

Kelly FulcherSeptember 15, 2010 @ 5:15 pm
  74. Listening to Lynn Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis speak about their careers and what it means to be a broadcaster was probably my favorite Must See Monday so far. I grew up in Phoenix and can clearly remember watching them on Channel 12 each and every time my parents turned on the news. When I moved away from Arizona my just before I began high school, I learned how important having trust in your broadcaster truly is. The news anchors in the many cities I have lived in since living in Phoenix never seemed to quite meet the standards I had set in my head for a broadcaster. As silly as it seems, I had grown up with and developed a one sided relationship with the Channel 12 team. That being said, I now understand that the job of a broadcaster is truly to deliver the news in an unbiased and accurate way and above all else, to serve the viewers, I mean, the viewers invite the broadcaster into their home every time they turn on the television.
    As if the joy of being back in Phoenix wasn’t already enough, the opportunity to meet the anchors who captured my attention so many years ago made me thrilled that I am back home.

Samantha CarySeptember 15, 2010 @ 5:22 pm
  75. Coming into the Cronkite School my initial passion for journalism was in the field of broadcasting. It was a fairly young passion of mine seeing as though I had only been involved with the newspaper class my senior year and going into that class I did not even consider “broadcast” to be an aspect to our school’s newspaper class. Luckily for me, while I was in that class I was offered the opportunity to co-anchor our schools morning announcements. It was at that point that I feel quickly passionate for the idea of becoming, in some aspect, a broadcast journalist. I have grown up watching Mark Curtis and Lin Sue Cooney dreaming about the glamour and opportunities that must come with their professions. Sadly, my parade got slightly rained on when I went to “On the Air With Local News Anchors”. Yes, I knew that like Lin Sue Cooney stated, “any profession worth its salt comes with sacrifices”. But, what I did not know is just how much many of these professionals sacrifice. Listening to Mark Curtis explain how he was nowhere near the father he wanted to be for his kids but instead was the type of father who missed holidays, vacations, games, recitals, and wasn’t able to even tuck his children in at night was honestly quite depressing. Even more so was when Curtis shared that he will never forgive himself for being so selfish as to have his wife induced so that he would not only not miss the birth of his daughter but be able to fly on assignment the next day was something I hadn’t even considered needing to be done. Another major point that struck a chord with me was the fact that Curtis told his own daughter to seriously consider not going into this profession because of the sacrifices and outlook that have now been associated with it. To know that my life could be affected on that grand of a scale by perusing this career, and that Curtis told his own daughter not to pursue a career in the field truly was a reality check for me. As they both explained the demands of the work and the constant competition and sacrifices it is true that for a few brief moments I grew irresolute. But, in the same respect by listening to the type of stories that they covered, such as Curt having a sit down with Muhammad Ali , and Cooney sitting down with the president I realized just how rewarding and truly exhilarating being a broadcaster could be and now only hope that my passion can outweigh the sacrifices that were so prevent in these broadcasters presentations

Kayla PologaSeptember 15, 2010 @ 5:31 pm
  76. Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis both brought up a variety of fascinating topics during their discussion Monday evening, but the one that resonated with me was their struggle to balance work and family.

I am currently trying to balance my life as a student with my life as a mother, and it is certainly challenging. I was thrilled to hear from successful journalists who are also successful parents. Cooney very passionately stated that her privacy is important to her, and that her family comes first. She clearly finds significance in the work she does, but she takes parenting seriously, as well. Curtis echoed this sentiment, although he mentioned losing track of his priorities at different times throughout his career. He referred to the time he asked his wife to be induced so he could witness the birth of his daughter before leaving to cover the 1988 Olympics. I can only imagine what a difficult situation that must have been, and I will strive to ensure that I don’t miss out on milestones that I might later regret.

Curtis also said, “This business can be very hard on relationships,” which he made clear through the above example, and it led me to think about how my desire to be a journalist will later affect my role as a wife and mother. I want to excel in both family and career-related roles, and it looks as though I, like our speakers, will just have to work hard to maintain a balance between the two.

Joanne IngramSeptember 15, 2010 @ 6:01 pm
  77. It wasn’t very long into the discussion with Channel 12 anchors Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis that I realized they had a lot of good advice for budding journalism students, and because of that, I decided to liveTweet the entire event (check hashtag #CronkMSM for details).

The main “take-away” I got? Be balanced in everything you do.

That means you need to have balance in your reporting, balance in your skills between New Media and regular reporting, and also balance in your life.

Both reporters talked about the challenge of balancing work and family, and Curtis flat-out said he had some regrets about what kind of father he was. I enjoyed both anchors’ candor about the profession.

Both of them talked about maintaining some professional distance when using social media tools. Cooney told a story about a time when she had a “fan” who was just a little too fanatic, and kept harassing her when Cooney wouldn’t write back to the fan.

At the end, both broadcasters gave me and every other journalist hope when they said this: As long as you have a passion for the profession, YOU WILL be employed, and being from the Cronkite School will help you in that endeavor.

Nicholas NewmanSeptember 15, 2010 @ 6:28 pm
  78. Being an Arizona resident for almost 7 years now, I was estatic to see my local anchor celebrities, Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis from Channel 12 News. They may not be the Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt of Arizona but they do have a presence that cannot be denied, especially around us Journalism hopefuls.
    The evening began promptly at seven p.m, headed by Mark Lodato, the NewsWatch director. The moment they walked onto the stage, I felt a sense of reality hit me. What hit me was that I was here at a school with so many opportunities. I mean I was sitting right in front of two anchors that I have watched for years in the comfort of my home but now they are here to give me advice on how to really capture this dream I have of becoming a professional journalist.
    What I liked most about this Must See Monday was the honesty I saw in the answers of Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis. Particuarly I felt a real connection with Lin Sue Cooney. She kept talking about how she knew where to draw the line on covering some stories. She also advocated the notion to learn everything possible while being here at this school, but also focus on your passion. I very much enjoyed this Must See Monday.

Shannon NapodanoSeptember 15, 2010 @ 7:00 pm
  79. I was pleasantly surprised with Green Zone. I was expecting “just another war movie,” but soon realized that this movie is pleasantly different from other war movies I have seen. This film focuses on the war in Iraq, but focuses on the war between the Pentagon and the CIA than the US and Iraq, which gives us a different perspective and allows us to see Iraq’s view. I was also surprised that the movie actually had a journalistic lesson to be learned. The movie emphasized the importance of checking sources and how even a little mistake can cause something as major as a war and that “Truth is often the first casualty of war.” The commentary the preceded the movie was also very helpful in that it gave an insiders point of view and added to the experience. Overall, I would recommend the movie to someone, but I myself probably wouldn’t watch the movie again.

Madison NewmanSeptember 15, 2010 @ 7:16 pm
  80. The “Must See Monday,” on September 13, 2010, featured Channel 12 News Anchors Lin Sue Cooney and Mar Curtis. The anchors told us a little about their experiences and their struggles with objectivity. The most important thing that both anchors stressed was to stay objective. Lin Sue Cooney found it difficult not to show emotions into her work when she had to cover 9-11 or when she has to cover things like child abuse cases. When Mark Curtis had to cover the death of Pat Tillman, with whom he was close with, and when he did his reporting on Hurricane Katrina, it was difficult for him to stay objective. They warned us to make sure we put our personal lives first. They also stressed how important it is to stay connected to your audience because they are the ones that can make or break your career. Overall, I found the presentors to be extremely interesting and it was great to get the inside scoop and talk to experts.

Madison NewmanSeptember 15, 2010 @ 7:17 pm
  81. This Cronkite Conversation blog has been the hardest for me to write. Everything else, I have been able to relate to my dreams of being a producer. This time, it is harder to relate. Not to say that Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis did not have great things to say. I thought both were amazing. I was surprised how courteous, passionate, and real. Their passion for their work really shone through when they spoke and answered questions. For me, it was pretty surreal. My family would usually watch Channel 12 for news, so it was strange seeing the people on TV in person. I believe Lin Sue and Mark really showed us what it means to love your career. I hope that I will one day have that same passion for my career, no matter where I end up working. That’s what everyone should want, in the end. To be happy at work.

Christian MadridSeptember 15, 2010 @ 7:42 pm
  82. This weeks Must-See-Mondays featured local NBC 12 Anchors Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis. I took their advice on the broadcasting business and finding the right balance in one’s life to heart. As a student here at the Cronkite School, I struggle with finding the right balance between school, work, and my personal life, but the experiences and stories Cooney and Curtis shared with me made me realize that everyone in every field goes through it and that I wasn’t alone. The one thing they stressed though, is not letting one aspect of your life (be it your studies, your profession, or your social life) take total control. Find the right balance.

What I also liked about this weeks presentation was how real the anchors themselves were. I agree with the fact that if a journalist feels there needs to be a line drawn in the sand, they should draw that line. Every journalist should decide for themselves what stories are right, and which stories are just not up to par.

Overall, this was a very insightful and entertaining presentation with Mrs. Cooney and Mr. Curtis.

Jose Rafael ErmacSeptember 15, 2010 @ 9:00 pm
  83. So, I have looked forward to ‘Must see Mondays’ since I first visited the Cronkite School. I was so excited that this school has what would be compared to my school’s “Media Day” every Monday. Our Media Day consisted of professionals, who have jobs in the news, television or movie industry, who go to my local high school and relay to us their experiences. So Monday night’s guests gave me a night full of déjà vu. Their insight, however, was much more valuable. Mrs. Cooney and Mr. Curtis were very helpful in truthfully divulging both the real hardships anchors and reporters can face in the job as well as their benefits. I was previously aware that this career will take up most of your time and you will be moving around a lot, but Mr. Curtis’s story regarding his wife being induced a day early so he could see his newborn daughter before he was forced to go report the Winter Olympics is heart wrenching. Journalism is a tough career and is therefore is for the tough woman or man
    ~Cassie Klapp

Cassandra KlappSeptember 15, 2010 @ 9:01 pm
  84. I went to watch the anchors from channel 12, Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis, with high expectations. The reason for this was because i was told that they were one of the most watched anchors in the city of Phoenix and both of them had impressive tract records in the world of journalism. After looking them both up, and getting a feel for their upbringing and how their past got them to where they were now, it was finally time to go listen them speak. I was really impressed with Mark when he told us that he had majored in Psychology and then it wasn’t until after graduating and working as a bartender for a while that he really realized his passion for journalism. Lin Sue Cooney also had an interesting past, because she chose Print Journalism at first and it wasn’t until later in her career that she decided she wanted to switch over to the Broadcast portion. Another thing that caught my attention was when Lin Cooney told us about how balance was the key to being successful in this field of work. She said that you cannot give up time with the family to work, because both are necessary and vital and Mark Curtis said he regretted not being at his own child’s birth. All in all I felt that both of them are very talented and personable individuals and both are great role models for me as a journalist in and in my future in this field, no matter what i end up choosing to do.

Esteban Da SilvaSeptember 15, 2010 @ 10:21 pm
  85. I am not a local by any means. I am from Brooklyn, NY and even though I felt like the presentation was not relative to me at first, I then realized that it was fully applicable. I learned that the big media markets are not the only ones that have the ability to influence people. The small media markets play a huge role in daily life and I am slowly coming to terms with that. Back where I am from we basically believe that if you can’t make it in New York then you have basically failed. I now realize that this is not true and that i have been holding myself to a much higher standard than I should have been. Two professionals working in Arizona making a living and enjoying what they do proved that to me. It isn’t all about what your salary is, or how many people see your face on TV each night. The main goal for everyone is to find their place in the world, whether it be small or large market and to be consistantly happy with their lifestyle and job description.

jeffrey plattSeptember 16, 2010 @ 12:18 am
  86. This past “Must See Monday” featured Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis, two anchors for Channel 12 news. While I have very little interest in broadcast as a career path, I found the presentation to be very interesting. The two anchors are obviously very good friends and it showed during their talk. They have covered so many incredibly deep, interesting, and sometimes painful stories. It was inspiring to hear them talk about how they both fell into broadcast journalism by accident and how it ended up being the best decision of their lives. I also truly appreciated the advice that they gave to all of us aspiring journalists. They told us to never give up and to jsut keep working hard and we will go far in our efforts to be the best and be the future of journalism.
    I also really liked the focus on social media and the roles that the internet is playing in the distribution of news. Because this is such a hot topic right now, it was very relevant and important, so I am very glad that they addressed the fact that the business of journalism is truly changing. Overall, I really enjoyed the presentation and I am glad that Cooney and Curtis took the time to come and speak to us.

Olivia KhielSeptember 23, 2010 @ 9:34 pm
  87. Good info. Thnx.

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.

css.php