Aug. 29: Meet the Women of Arizona TV News

Catherine Anaya
CBS 5

Lin Sue Cooney
12 News

Carey Peña
KTVK 3

Katie Raml
ABC 15

Linda Williams
Fox 10

Moderated by Sue Green
Broadcast director, Cronkite News Service

Categories: Uncategorized.

Comment Feed

114 Responses

1. Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Peña, Katie Raml, and Linda Williams were the Must See Monday speakers tonight. They all agreed that being a women in the newsroom isn’t something that hurts their careers. Linda Williams made an interesting point when she said that usually it is thought that when women get old they are pushed out of the newsroom but that isn’t the case anymore. Williams believes that with age comes experience. As far as social media is concerned, they all agree on it’s importance. Carey Peña shared a story about how one time she was at home and covered a story via twitter, retweeting and sharing information she learned, and how she became a trending topic on twitter. She was on her couch with her kids and was a major contributor to her news station still. Catherine Anaya explained how she has encountered many “creepers” via social media who ask for her number and for dates. She went on to warn us that what we post will stay with us. Carey Peña explained that twitter can be a great resource in that you can find sources and contacts very fast and efficiently. Ms. Peña also said that using twitter can build momentum for us as we leave this school. Catherine Anaya explained to us that diversity is very important in the newsroom because what one person thinks is news may be different from what another person defines as news. Carey Peña explained that after she covered 9/11, she felt a stronger passion for journalism because of the sense of community it lent. I learned how important social media can be for a journalist as well as the value of diversity in the newsroom from this Must See Monday.

Robert BakerAugust 29, 2011 @ 7:54 pm
  2. For this MSM blog I decided to write during the actual lecture. Sitting in front of the nearly full to capacity room are five well known women of Arizona news: Catherine Anaya from CBS 5, Lin Sue Cooney from 12 News, Carey Pena from KTVK 3, Katie Raml from ABC 15 and last but by no means least, Linda Williams from FOX 10 News. This scholarly panel of women, three of which are ASU alum, sit before us answering questions given by a funny and lively host. First question of the night: Do you think it’s hard making it as a news anchor being a woman? All of them replied “no, not at all”. They all agreed that it’s difficult to balance life, family and work all simultaneously, but they concluded it is definitely possible and even more so worth all of the effort they put into it. Among other interesting topics, the women were asked how they separate their personal lives from what we see on screen and how they deal with new and evolving types of media. A tip from the ladies: BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU POST! It might just come back and bite you in the butt later…. Surprisingly these news anchors, that we as aspiring students seem to put on a pedestal because of their many accomplishments, are incredibly personable, and even seem normal. Tonight they’ve shared some personal stories that made them relatable to us, as well as providing some sound and inspiring advice that will hopefully lead me to a bright future in broadcast journalism. Get ready Phoenix, because in the near future I’m going to be one of them!

3. This “Must See Monday” exhibited the talent and success of female television anchors working for popular news stations in Arizona. Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Pena, Katie Raml and Linda Williams discussed the implications of the “balancing act” that is creating a life that includes both family and career. All of the news anchors agreed with great conviction that being a woman has never discouraged them in their careers or put up boundaries that made their success difficult. “It’s no more harder for a woman these days than a man,” said Anaya. “Though it is difficult balancing motherhood and career.” I found it especially encouraging, being a woman that’s interested in eventually having a family outside of work, that such powerful and incredible women have not let their career overwhelm them, but have capitalized upon it in such a way that a balance is achieved between work and family.
    The women proceeded to talk about the involvement of Twitter and Facebook in their careers and social lives–in this, they discussed how, even when not at work, they were involved in the news. Whether it was a breaking news event over the weekend, or a story they were following, the anchors discussed how they used social media to provide news to the community regardless of if they were working or at home. Social media has given society greater access to current events and sources that bring about a wave of information, which is definitely useful to those who invest their careers in the media. Anaya mentioned the importance of taking precautions when it comes to using social networking; she also mentioned how one must be careful of what one posts and how much private life one shares with others.
    Of equal importance, the women brought up the magnitude of what a news anchor must cover, whether it was September 11th or a minor news report; irregardless of the emotional aspects of the news they report, they still must go on to report it. I found it even more interesting when the anchors went on to discuss their first stories as well as how they felt that they can touch lives through their jobs. “You have a lot of power on television to do a lot of good,” said Cooney.
    The women of Arizona TV News left me with a lot of hope for my career in journalism; Williams especially left behind a hope for the future that journalism will continue to adapt and create new areas for journalists to thrive and bring the news to the world. Though many may say that journalism is a dying art, or that the newspaper is becoming obsolete, these women show me that because of developing technology the world of journalism is hardly closing, but opening for more opportunities. “I’ve seen more opportunities for women,” said Pena. “It’s a career that you have to embrace wholeheartedly.”

Danielle GrobmeierAugust 29, 2011 @ 8:16 pm
  4. When asked how her career in journalism has shaped her perspective in life Katie Raml replied, “It gave me a greater sense of hope.”

In a time frame where daily news can leave us beaten down with tragedy and crime, these five women show poise and optimism in their work experience. When speaking of how to deal with constant criticism, Linda Williams said the best advice she had been given was “don’t take it personally.” Facebook creeps, crude emails, and twitter h8rs may be an abundance in this line of work, but it is no matter for these five. And, they say these are only a few of the bumps you will hit along the road. It seemed as if not one of these women was without a story related to spur of the moment panic. In news it does not matter if it is Patrick Swayze’s walkabout, a tragic helicopter crash, or even something as huge as 9/11. Number one on the list of things to expect in this field is: the unexpected. Having the ability to gracefully cover unexplainable and incomprehensible stories–on a deadline–is a trait all of these women share and agree is vital in great journalism. These women show compassion and understanding of how to appropriately approach their roles as newswomen. It is a lesson that males and females or print and broadcast alike can absorb and apply to their ambitions in the journalism industry.

Ashley SwazeyAugust 29, 2011 @ 9:21 pm
  5. I loved the Must See Monday: Meet the Women of Arizona TV News today. Five anchors came to talk to my fellow journalism students. The five anchors were: Catherine Anaya (CBS 12), Lin Sue Cooney (12 News), Carey Pena (KTVK 3), Katie Rami (ABC15), and Linda Williams (FOX 10). All five women agree that being a woman in this industry is a lot easier than it used to be. They also all agreed on the importance of having a good balance between work and a social life. As for social networking, they all were unanimous in saying that all journalists should have a twitter and a face book account. I loved how Carey Pena talked about how she was able to right a story from Twitter at home on her couch “with my kids sitting next to me”. She noted how becoming a trending topic on Twitter has helped her to be in the know about stories right when the happen. In the two previous classes in JMC 110 there were several conversations about how being a good journalist requires timeliness. The story needs to be “breaking news”. One of the funniest parts of the whole night was when Catherine Anaya talked about how, and I quote, “A ton of guys have asked me out via face book and I am like, ‘but I don’t even now you’”. I think many of us in this day and age can relate to “creepers” online. Catherine Anaya also mentioned how everyone should be careful what they post “because it can come back to haunt you”. One of my favorite parts was hearing about each of their first “real news cast”. It eased my anxiety about this field knowing that these amazing women all made mistakes and faced several challenges. Lin Sue Cooney said that her first story was about taxes and she knew how boring that topic was. “An important lesson I learned was that a lot of the news is boring.” She also mentioned how a lot of people are mean to journalist “but after a while that fades away, and you realize the importance of what you are doing”.

Marissa RandelAugust 29, 2011 @ 9:25 pm
  6. Tonight’s Must See Monday: Meet the Women of Arizona, left me with an excellent lasting impression. These five women: Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Pena, Katie Raml, and Linday Williams are incredible role models and encouraged me want to strive to reach my dreams. In the beginning of the discussion, Linda Williams tells us that she used to work at five in the morning on Saturdays pushing buttons so Sesame Street could air. This proves that everyone starts somewhere and to make it to the top- you have to start small. The women were asked if it’s difficult to survive as a broadcast journalist as a woman. I was relieved to hear that more opportunities are becoming available. I learned that journalism is a career you have to embrace with your whole heart. It can be difficult and hectic at times, but it is important to make it seem effortless. When the women were asked about social networks, it was interesting to hear their viewpoints. They explained that it is important to be careful what you post, it is difficult when people start asking personal questions, and a lot more access is available. Twitter, Facebook, etc. are taking over our lives, but it was beneficial to hear how these sites influence those in the journalism field. These women were inspirational because they reminded us that they started out just like us. They’ve had to overcome hardships, tripods have fallen apart on the job, and they lived in fear of failing. These women, however, have come such a long way and it was refreshing to hear that it is possible to succeed and achieve your dreams.

Jillian LopezAugust 29, 2011 @ 9:27 pm
  7. When asked, “What is news?” the anchorwomen responded with what we had discussed in class. Linda Williams gave the textbook definition- “something that is new.” The other ladies said that news is relevant to the audience, up to date and what you want and need to know. Catherine Anaya talked about the need for diversity in the newsroom in order to get the full picture and full range of emotions felt by different groups of people. Diversity is essential in this field. Social media is one of the things adding diversity to the newsroom because of its accessibility.

Social media is becoming increasingly important in the journalism industry. It is increasing competition for timeliness and making the news more readily available for the general public. News is even more accessible as social media is changing. It was discussed that Facebook gives the public a chance to make personal connections, it makes a difference with how people view you if you interact one on one. However, there is a fine line that has been crossed and will probably be crossed in the future.

I think one of the most important points that was discussed was whether or not it was more difficult to survive in the journalism industry because you’re a woman. The answer was a resounding “no.” Lin Sue Cooney stated, “What’s hard for women is balancing a career in television and still having a personal life as a wife and mother.” The days have passed where it is more difficult to make it in this industry based on gender. There are more opportunities for women. I agree with Carey Peña in that this is a career path that must be fully “embraced as a person.”

There will undoubtedly be emotional moments, unexpected moments, dull stories and unforeseen twists in the industry, but that is what makes news.

Kyra WennerstenAugust 29, 2011 @ 9:27 pm
  8. The speakers at this week’s Must Say Mondays were the top women anchors in Arizona. Catherine Anaya from CBS 5, Lin Sue Cooney from 12 News, Carey Pena from KTVK 3, Kate Raml from ABC15, and Linda Williams from Fox 10 all spoke about their experiences in the broadcast journalism industry. They all agreed that it is no harder for a woman in the industry than it is for a man in the industry at the moment. The biggest worry for most journalist at the moment is to learn to change with the industry. They all said that the hardest thing for them is learning how to balance things, such as family and their careers. Learning where to draw the line is very important. For Katie Raml, she does not use social media or think about her work when she is away from the studio. On the other hand, Carey Pena is constantly on social media sites such as twitter and Facebook. Social media is very important to all these women, however they all warn that you have to be cautious of what you post for the world to see. This Must See Monday really inspired me to jump right into journalism and not look back. It was also very exciting to meet my mentor for the year, Carey Pena. I am really looking forward to learning so much valuable information from her!

Tahlia GrassieAugust 29, 2011 @ 9:31 pm
  9. Over the past two weeks at the Cronkite School, my mind has been open to many new and exciting opportunities. Tonight, my growing love for broadcast journalism hit new heights. Listening to the educated and highly sophisticated women of Arizona news taught me many things. The first thing I learned is that I need to take small steps to get to place I would like to be in the future. When Linda Williams stated, “We all have to start somewhere. I pushed buttons at five o’clock in the morning to put Sesame Street on”, I realized that in order to achieve what I want I need to work hard and start from the bottom. Catherine Anaya claimed, “start small so you can get all your mistakes out”, I think that is a wonderful way to look at the beginning of your career because once you go big, they expect perfection. The second most important information that I gained was that “I shouldn’t take anything personal.” I am someone who takes everyone’s opinions to heart, so it is going to take some time to learn how to not take “it” personal. Overall, it was a very enjoyable experience to listen to these intriguing women. I gained some knowledge and I have a newfound spark for broadcast journalism.

Megan LopezAugust 29, 2011 @ 9:34 pm
  10. The “Must See Monday” that featured the women of Arizona TV news was definitely a MUST SEE! These five top women not only portrayed great talent that they have, but as well as ambition, motivation, enthusiasm, and a hard work ethic. They not only showed what it means to be a true reporter, but they meant it when you have to keep going higher until you succeed. Together these women not only shared some of their personal life stories, but they also shared their first moments behind the camera and what it truly felt like. They gave us as students the ability to never give up. It’s exactly like the film business that portrays actors/actresses; there will always be people that will not like you, and there will always be people that love you. It’s half/half and exactly for a reporter, or even an anchor. The goal: To not let people or anyone bring you down, because it’s your life and your career. They portrayed important roles of what it takes to be a newswoman, and that in journalism, you always get to meet so many new and wonderful people that you have never met before and get to experience their stories they want to share with you. They referred to the work being hard down the road. You start at little, and work your way up higher as long as you keep going. Their strong work experience is what makes them who they are today: Proud women of Arizona TV news, the media, and most importantly, strong Journalists with a passion to always seek more opportunities and challenges that come their way.

Agnes KozinaAugust 29, 2011 @ 9:40 pm
  11. This Must See Monday was amazing. I have grown up listening to these women and they have been my inspiration. They answered so many questions I had about the field of journalism and clarified the doubts I was beginning to have. I loved that they talk about the balancing act of being a successful journalist and raising children. I have often wondered how so many women journalists have managed to also have a family. I also was happy to hear that this industry is not nearly as cut-throat as people make it out to be. It was very heart-warming to see all five women from different stations getting along so well. I feel so lucky that I was able to be one of the few people who got to ask the panel a question. I asked about the emotional aspect of journalism. This is something I’ve always wondered about. It just seems so unreal that journalists are able to keep their cool in times of national distress. All of the ladies had wonderful answers to my question and made me feel like it is okay to show emotion and that people do not expect you to act like a robot. Katie Raml’s response was particularly impactful. She talked about the helicopter crash where her co-workers passed away. She still got choked up about the situation which made me realize that not only is it okay to show emotion, but the audience wants you to. It is hard to relate to someone who shows no emotion and these ladies were so experienced at showing the appropriate level of emotion. All in all, I was very impressed with the poise of these women.

Jessica BoehmAugust 29, 2011 @ 9:41 pm
  12. The first thing that comes to mind when thinking of the August 29th “Must See Monday” is the quote we were told, “take your work seriously, but don’t take yourself seriously”. This quote was very inspirational because it reminded me that it is okay to make mistakes and be a human when on camera. Tonight I learned a great amount of information regarding how to interact with your community, and how to communicate on Facebook and Twitter to the public. All of the women were very inspirational when they made it clear that it is not difficult to survive in the journalism business as women. They shared with us that you have to embrace your job wholeheartedly because sometimes it can be a difficult balancing act. When speaking of balancing work and personal life, we were given several different examples of how to do so. Some of the women did not work when they were at home, and some did when a story was breaking. All of the women had very interesting information and I was very entertained throughout the night. I now know to build media around myself before entering the work world and to be knowledgeable, but not afraid when I do not know something.

Lexi JohnsonAugust 29, 2011 @ 9:41 pm
  13. This Must See Monday featured top Anchor Women from various channels. These women were Catherine Anaya from CBS 5, Lin Sue Cooney from 12 News, Carey Pena from KTVK 3, Kate Raml from ABC15, and Linda Williams from Fox 10. They spoke about their lives in the journalism industry, from the day they decided to be a journalist to the present. Some reflected on highly embarrassing moments throughout the paths of their careers. Each one marveled at the huge advances in technology that they have seen over the years, such as how News has become 24/7 thanks to social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter. They spoke of their emotional involvement with news they have reported and how it has shaped their views, such as 9/11. They also claimed that women have become more prominent in the journalism industry, and it is no harder for a woman to get in than it is for a man. They have all had very colorful and lustrous careers even after starting at the very bottom. It was a very inspiring and encouraging experience. 30 years from now, I hope I can look back fondly on my life as a new student and feel proud of what I have accomplished, just like they have.

Jeffrey BuelAugust 29, 2011 @ 9:45 pm
  14. Being able to listen to the women of Arizona broadcast news was an amazing experience because eventually my goal is to become a news anchor or reporter for a large market like Phoenix. All of the women have been working in television for over a decade, some multiple decades, and I have a lot of respect for their ability to grow and change while technology has made the news an entirely different profession.
    I found their views on social media very interesting because each journalist had her own way of using sites like Twitter and Facebook to connect to the viewers. Carey Peña’s opinion that Twitter is extremely valuable not only for journalists but for business and public relations was interesting to me because I have made a lot of connections through Twitter in the short time I’ve been using it. The other women gave a lot of valuable advice about using social media in an appropriate way to benefit the news station and themselves professionally.
    Overall, this was my favorite Must See Monday event I’ve attended at ASU and I hope they continue to bring in more journalists from television and radio.

Tessa FergusonAugust 29, 2011 @ 10:00 pm
  15. Being a resident of Nevada, I was not familiar with the women of Arizona TV news, and I’m pleased to say that I am familiar with them now. I might not have seen them in my living room for many years like most, but after this evening’s Must-See Monday, I genuinely met the five strong, dedicated women who deliver the news to this valley so well.

Having three ASU alumni was an extra plus which told me that I was in the right place to get a career in journalism. All five women had nothing but good things to say about being a female in the industry, as well as its expectations. Even when faced with a humiliating experience that could otherwise end a career, they took the mistakes in stride and improved. The woman to whom I connected and related the most was Carey Peña; her advice was the one that resonated with me the most. When asked what her biggest worry was when starting out as a reporter, she said that she feared not knowing enough. She reassured the audience by saying that one must be knowledgeable to make it through, but one must not know everything; the career, after all, is about learning.

As a complete ignoramus to journalism in any form, after hearing the five women of Arizona television news give solid advice and wisdom, I feel prepared to take on this new challenge with the same confidence and honesty they exhibited onstage tonight.

Kelsey TardioAugust 29, 2011 @ 10:04 pm
  16. .This week’s “Must-See Monday” has included the women of Phoenix; Catherine Anaya, Carey Pena, Linda Williams, Lin Sue Cooney, and Katie Raml. Coming into the presentation from the “fab five” entourage, I was excited more than anything else. At the same time, I didn’t know what to expect. Not only were my rold models as anchors, but as dominate women standing before me, they were, too, standing before the next generation of journalists. One of the many crucial factors that were mentioned in tonight’s speech was the usage of social media to further the awareness of the valley news. Katie Raml shared that she does not include the media, such as Twitter and Facebook, in her personal life and leisure. During work hours is her time to endulge in the world-wide phenomenon of communication; however, Carey Pena disagreed and stated that she is captivated by the media and re-tweets various things to advance her network too. The women have influenced me and many other aspiring reporters to focus on the road ahead and that it doesn’t need to be cutthroat when the industry is currently overwhelming with competiveness. It opened my eyes to see how much they each have gone through within various markets and how every one of their obstacles have been overcome. They gave me the real perspective on how to pursue my dreams and how to further myself not only as a journalist, but as a person.

Alli DoddeAugust 29, 2011 @ 10:04 pm
  17. This MSM really inspired me. Hearing all these different stories from the woman of AZ TV News made my point of view in Journalism open up more. I truly enjoyed the fact they all said it was quite difficult at times to manage their personal and work lives at the same time but they all got through it. I liked how they also love to stay very connected with their audience and inform them in what is going on in the world today. A key factor they mentioned was to watch what you do as of right now in what you write on social networks because you never know what will happen in the future. Something inappropriate can come up in what you tweeted or posted on a social network years ago and can hurt your chances in a job. It’s always good to watch what you say.
    A story Catherine Anya was telling us about was how in her first job she had to produce, write, and report the news all by herself. She mentioned how one time she messed up while giving the news. Though she said even though she thought it was the end of the world, she did not give up and told herself that would never happen again. The fact that something like that happened to her and after she pretended like nothing happened is very inspiring to me. It makes me want to not give up as well even if sometimes something isn’t as planned. All of the women of AZ TV News were wonderful and I enjoyed it.

Vianka VillaAugust 29, 2011 @ 10:08 pm
  18. Women. Journalism. Power. Tonight’s “Must See Mondays” forum spoke volumes by having the ladies of Phoenix broadcast-anchors presenting. The experiences of all five women present were inspiration for both female and male audience members. From the whole night’s conversation, the phrase that stood out was that this career (journalism) is about learning. This is by far the truest statement. out. Although journalism/broadcast journalism is one of the professions that is known to be filled with highly experience people. Knowing that the news anchors present have shared their moments of weakness gives people the courage to experiment, push forward, fall and ultimately, LEARN. Moreover, I found having a balancing act was very intriguing. Many professional woman battle with balancing their career and their personal lives. All guests are fine examples that anything you put your mind to is attainable; which is very much reassuring, especially since I too am a woman wanting to enter the field of journalism with aspirations of one day having a family of my own. Lastly, tonight, I took away a peace of wisdome that settled very well withing my thoughts, which is that this career may be hard at first but tv is powerful and you can touch people’s lives. You can inspire people and truly make a difference.

Alexis Ariana HermosilloAugust 29, 2011 @ 10:12 pm
  19. This week’s “Must See Monday” featured “The Women of Arizona TV News,” with speakers Catherine Anaya CBS 5, Lin Sue Cooney 12 News, Carey Pena KTVK 3, Katie Raml ABC 15 and Linda Williams FOX 10. These dynamic women are all different, yet share the common thread of having a passion for journalism. With each of their stories about first jobs, blunders and successes what continued to resonate was the word, wisdom. In the category of first time job blunders, Catherine Anaya’s story about her “on-air expletive recovery” was a memorable lesson about the unpredictability of life and the newsroom. Mistakes will happen but as Anaya suggests, “it is better to get the mistakes out in a smaller market”. People are human and will never do everything perfectly; however, it is about how one responds to making mistakes and Katie Raml’s advice was invaluable, “Don’t make excuses”. People do not want a sob story, they want the facts and the bottom line is the journalism world is a professional business market. There will always be bumps in the road and tough critics, but with staying true to oneself and to the foundations of journalism personal success can be achieved. In closing, one of the last golden nuggets of wisdom was from Linda Williams with her years of knowledge and experience said,“Don’t take it personally” and to finish the popular phrase, “it is not always about you”.

Elizabeth BlackburnAugust 29, 2011 @ 10:12 pm
  20. Today’s Must See Monday titled “ Meet The Women of Arizona News” featured anchors Catherine Anaya with CBS 5, Lin Sue Cooney with 12 News, Carey Peña with KTVK 3, Katie Raml with ABC15, and Linda Williams with FOX10. The single point that struck me was that all of these successful women agreed that it is not hard to thrive in the journalism industry as a female. According to these women, this has changed over the years, and, to them, it is not considered a significant obstacle in today’s workplace. More difficult, is finding that balance between work and home. While Catherine Anaya is able to be completely focused on her responsibilities as a reporter at work and able to be completely focused on being a mother at home, Lin Sue Cooney struggles with separating the two environments and is constantly focused on both roles. The insight from both of these female journalists that overcoming sexism in today’s workplace is not a common challenge shows that the journalism industry is evolving and becoming a more equal profession.

Arianna TaubodoAugust 29, 2011 @ 10:12 pm
  21. Tonight’s Must See Monday gave me a renewed sense of optimism about working in broadcast journalism.
    After hearing from countless friends, relatives, and even a few professors that journalism is a tough industry to be successful in, I was feeling a little doubtful that I was choosing a wise career path.
    Catherine Anaya of CBS 5, Lin Sue Cooney of 12 News, Carey Peña of KTVK 3, Katie Raml of ABC 15 and Linda Williams of Fox 10 restored some of my confidence in the industry tonight.
    The question that resonated with me was whether or not the women felt they were at a disadvantage being female in a profession that was once dominated by men. Every member of the panel agreed that being a woman did not make their jobs any more difficult. The biggest challenge, and again they all seemed to agree, was finding a balance between their professional and personal lives.
    Forget social media for a second (I know it’s hard). The nature of journalism as a profession is very demanding and often times incredibly stressful. Add being a wife and mother on top of that and it makes for one hectic lifestyle. Some of us are struggling right now just to balance school and homework with having time to go out and enjoy ourselves. I can only imagine how much the pace is going to increase once we graduate from ASU, especially since everyone these days is plugged into the news 24/7.
    The changing face of the media was another topic that the panel addressed. Linda Williams mentioned that she’s witnessed multiple technological advances during her career that completely changed the way she conducted business. When she started as a journalist, she was writing her stories on a type writer. All of the women use at least one form of social media, be it twitter or facebook. Social media and the impact it is having on journalism has never been more relevant, and I am so glad the panel talked about how valuable it was to them in their professions. It allows them to share news faster and with a much larger audience, and it allows them to connect on a more personal level with their followers, which, as Lin Sue said, really means a lot to them.
    Tonight’s event was one of the best and most useful Must See Monday’s I have attended since I’ve been at ASU. Hopefully there are many more like this to come.

Carole MurphyAugust 29, 2011 @ 10:13 pm
  22. Of course, there have only been two Must See Mondays, but I believe this was the opus. These five women were an inspiration. From the moment they entered, their power and influence was present in the atmosphere of the room. I thought the interviewer also as very classy and hilarious. She added a great mood to the meeting as well. What I believe impressed me most was how they answered each question. For whatever reason, it finally struck me that these women are just everyday people, yet they are distinguished by their success and education, as was present in their articulation and class. I also was able to see from this meeting that what they do for a job does have a ladder to climb, but it is not unattainable, as what I sometimes previously believed. Although it is not my dream to be an anchorwoman, these five exceptional women both inspired and motivated me to work hard so that I can do what I love as a job.

Bailey WrightAugust 29, 2011 @ 10:15 pm
  23. I also came to the conclusion that my ultimate goal of being a broadcast journalist is reachable as long as I’m dedicated, consistent, and passionate about journalism. Despite the fact that the presentation was very inspiring I would of liked to hear more in depth stories about how each of them got their start as well as how to make connections, find opportunity and become an established journalist. Other than that i really enjoyed the “Must See Monday” and felt it motivated me to continue to work towards my ultimate goal of becoming a strong female journalist.

Marina FarroAugust 29, 2011 @ 10:27 pm
  24. Being an aspiring male journalist, I found this week’s Must See Monday very intriguing. It featured Catherine Anaya from CBS 5, Lin Sue Cooney from 12 News, Carey Pena from KTVK 3, Katie Raml from ABC 15 and Linda Williams from FOX 10 News. The discussion was led and moderated by Sue Green, the Broadcast Director for Cronkite News Service. I think that the most important message they relayed to the audience was that being a female in the newsroom is not something that detracts from their careers. Considering the modern times we live in (where Ron Burgundy and his sexist posse are nowhere to be found), I wasn’t surprised to hear them say this. They all also talked about the power of social media in today’s newsrooms, particularly Twitter. However, just like Spiderman was told, with great power comes great responsibility, and they stressed that we must be responsible with what we post on social networking sites because those things will be available to the world to see for forever. Another resounding topic they touched on was the issue of diversity. Each and every one of them was in agreement on this topic as well, for the general consensus was that diversity is VERY important in the newsroom so that all different parts of the community feel represented. As a guy, it was very interesting to hear these women’s approach to the field of journalism, because I know that one day soon enough I will be working alongside women just like them. To top it all off, three of them are Cronkite graduates, which is a testament to the high reputation and performance of this school. Overall, it was a great panel and I enjoyed hearing new perspectives on the field of journalism.

Kyle NewmanAugust 29, 2011 @ 10:38 pm
  25. Tonight’s Must See Monday was very inspirational for women in college who are pursuing broadcast journalism. I thought it was very interesting to see the women, first hand, talk about their career. They have so much passion for what they do and were so open to give us advice and more information about their career choice. They explained how to handle the career and family life and how to balance the two, which I thought was very useful because I often wonder how I will do that in the future with whatever career path I choose. I believe that if they can balance the two, anybody can. I also thought that when they stated that we “shouldn’t take anything personally,” was very inspirational because often times I do take things personally when I am criticized on something I have written. They have learned that they just need to move on when they are criticized and that there are always people who want to see you fail and will criticize you to bring you down. I also enjoyed the insight they shared on what they were most concerned about when entering the profession of broadcast journalism. They said that failing and feeling like you need to know everything about the things you report on are two major things. When I think about my future career in journalism, I often think about failing and not succeeding in the business and about how I’m not educated about many subjects that I may encounter in the journalism profession. “The Women of Arizona News” Must See Monday was both inspirational and very entertaining to attend. I enjoyed listening to what they had to say about their profession as well as listening to their advice in entering the profession of any type of journalism.

Ana ReynoldsAugust 29, 2011 @ 10:42 pm
  26. “Weaving a Story With Your Words”
    So I am going to be honest, when I previewed the Must See Mondays I knew tonight’s appearance of the local Arizona Anchorwomen was going to be my absolute favorite one… and it did not fall short of my expectations. First off, I have to say that Lin Sue Cooney has been an idol of mine as I have grown up seeing her on my television almost every night. As corny as it sounds, I truly feel like I have made a personal connection after all these years of her filling my living room with her passion for reporting newsworthy stories, as well as becoming a relatable figure on television. So enough of my dream coming true sequence, I’ll get on to the impact of tonight’s Must See Monday.
    As a female I can obviously say that it was empowering to witness firsthand the remarkable experience each of these exceptional women has had as a broadcaster. But I believe for all of us there, male or female, we learned a lot about the field we are looking to pursue, and became if anything just a little bit more motivating to work hard to make each of our dreams come true. For me I saw five women who have found the same success I would strive for as a broadcaster in a field dominated by men. Hearing about each of their first stories they had to cover was not only humbling, but an eye opener. Comparing the differences of each ladies background and where they started as broadcasters proves that each and every one of us has a chance to find what fits us in the journalism field. As Linda Williams stated, “There are so many niches in this field.”, and goes on to say how that’s the beauty of journalism. This one statement made me feel way more optimistic as I realize I am going into a very competitive field where individual talents will vary among each journalist. I look at journalism as a glimpse for people around the world to see and become familiar with news that has impacted someone or them personally. My goal would be to touch someone’s life positively as a reporter, and as Lin Sue Cooney put it, “Television has a lot of power to do a lot of good.” I can say these women each had something to say that I will take with me on my journey in journalism, and they have inspired me even more to follow my own dream in the field of journalism. A good note to end on and something to remember would be all the final advice given from each of the women, do not take things personally, take the high road and treat people the way you want to be treated, take credit for your high and low points, do not worry about failing, and be knowledgeable, but do not be afraid when you’re not completely informed about an issue. (Linda Williams, Lin Sue Cooney, Katie Raml, Catherine Anaya, and Carey Peña)
    Thank you again to all of these influential women!

Kari OsepAugust 29, 2011 @ 10:52 pm
  27. It is safe to say that the “Must See Mondays” only get better and better. After last weeks discussion about the ethics involved in journalism I was intrigued about what it meant to be a true journalist. Who is more qualified to answer this uncertainty than the lead anchorwomen of Arizona? When I learned that these prestigious women would be speaking at our school I was thrilled. Before any one gets all riled up it is not because I think “girls rule”, although we do. For the past 6 years of my life I have been waiting for the time when I could finally take my first step toward becoming a broadcaster. Now that it is here, however, I am unnerved as ever. I do not want to screw something up that I have wanted for almost my whole life. With that said, a sense of reassurance filled me when I knew that I would be hearing and learning from women that were in the same position that I am in right now too. I could not believe how personable and down-to-earth the women were. Lin Sue Cooney even referred to the assembly as “Ladies Night”. Throughout the night many various topics were brought up, one being the question of what is news. I was especially interested in the responses for this inquiry because it is something that we have discussed in JMC 110 with Dean Callahan. Most of the ladies responded with saying it is what your audience wants to hear or it is something that is new, much like the points made by Dean Callahan. At the end of the talk the women were asked what was the best advice that they had received from someone in regards to being a broadcaster. Linda Williams and Lin Sue Cooney were given the same guidance when they were told to “take the high road” and “don’t take it personal”. It is inevitable to always please your whole audience and their advice is something I will carry with me to obtain the best experience I can as a broadcaster. It is safe to say that the anchorwomen of Arizona touch the lives of people everyday, and they have undoubtedly touched mine tonight.

28. The Women of Arizona Television event this evening was refreshing and not how I thought it was going to run. I thought that the women would each speak on their experience in broadcasting and the news world in general, but in fact the discussion was much more of a free flowing unscripted talk about news, women in news, and the evolution of social media. This is one of the Must See Mondays that deals more specifically with broadcasting, and I was interesting to hear from people in the business as it stands today. I was also very pleased to hear that all the women believe the day of women oppression in journalism and news is over. This has been a huge topic in Journalism and I am glad to hear from the women perspective that we have grown out of that stigma and society. It inspired me to still pursue broadcasting and being on camera. The women had a very high sense of duty and responsibility about their work. They didn’t just read a prompter on television. They still work hard and work on their credibility as journalists. This week’s Must See Monday was very interesting and inspiring. Thank you ASU.

Chris ClabaughAugust 29, 2011 @ 10:56 pm
  29. I was so thrilled to attend this week’s Must See Monday featuring Catherine Ayana, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Peña, Katie Raml, and Linda Williams! I am an Arizona native, born and raised to begin my day with Good Morning Arizona and finish it off with the 10:00 slot right after all of my favorite shows. So, naturally, this monday was truly a Must-See. Right from the start, each of the five women were introduced; and then the lighthearted, interview-like discussion shortly after a “This Is Ladies Night”! One at a time, each journalist answered with casual and and brutally honest responses. It brought me great joy to get to know their ebullient personalities and as they revealed stories, obstacles, and valuable learning experiences throughout their lives. All the while, might I add, looking just as fabulous in person!
    First question: How difficult is it really to be a female journalist in today’s society? Their reassuring responses were encouraging towards an emerging journalist such as myself, especially Catherine’s, who assessed that competition was equal for both men and women, although the only setback for females is being a mother. This led into a conversation about the women’s personal lives and the constant struggle of playing both the journalist as well as the mom role. I loved hearing about their lives outside of work, and learning the human sides of each journalist; although this was a topic of debate for the rest of the evening.
    One question addressed the emerging new technologies and whether or not it is a pro or con for modern journalists. “Computer relationships are one-on-one, which make them better in terms of connecting to the public than addressing the masses solely by television” Cooney responded. However, Ayana seems to have a different take on the subject! “People may look too far into these conversations and actually think they are your friend. There is a fine line that needs to be distinguished, I could write a book on how many people have hit on me!” she chuckled in addition to the scattered laughter from an audience of primarily girls. Another aspect along the lines of letting too much of the human side of your career be available to the public is how much emotion you allow to seep into your broadcast. The women shared their secrets for preventing emotional weakness of a tragic story from overpowering their time on-screen, and how they are able to overcome these roadblocks. Peña reflected on one of her first broadcasts, which was on the subject of 9/11. She explained that it was one of the hardest things she had to endure, however, it helped her grow into a mature journalist.
    The night continued with great conversation about the women’s first stories, the best advice they had ever received, and why they decided to become broadcast journalists in the first place. Some answers were hilarious, some were more on the serious side, but every question was answered with a smile. Bottom line: each had something good to say about the field of journalism and that they now see the world in a more hopeful and appreciative way because of their experience working with the best of the best. I am so inspired by the words of all five women and I feel as if I know a little more about their lives, both in terms of their careers and the work they had to do to get there. I leave this Must See Monday excited to further my journey in the field of journalism and optimistic for what the future holds. I leave you with the words of Linda Williams. “Focus on the positive. There may be the five people who do wrong but we are the ones on the television everyday doing right and supplying the people with their information. We rule the world!”

Nicole BarrettAugust 29, 2011 @ 10:59 pm
  30. Tonight’s “Must See Monday” was one that appealed to the younger generation of aspiring journalists- especially women. In today’s JMC class we discussed some advantages that people in power have over those still in school. One of the factors was a tendency for males to have dominance in most careers. After tonight’s presentation, however, I realized that women are just as empowering as men. Times are changing and women are constantly moving up the ranks in every field. Anaya, Cooney, Pena, Raml and Williams demonstrated how the qualities of determination, passion and assertiveness in any person generate success over gender stereotypes. I was also inspired at how most of the anchors were graduates of ASU! They indirectly encouraged the journalist at ASU that they have just as much ability and opportunity to flourish in their desired fields. Each speaker tonight had her own distinctive qualities and relatable stories which made them all very appealing to the Cronkite students. I loved how they described their first experiences as reporters/anchors and their mistakes did not let them fail. My favorite piece of advice was Linda Williams from FOX 10, “Don’t take it personally”. In the journalism field, we are extremely vulnerable to criticism- especially in broadcast. Having enough self-assurance that he/she is doing their job accurately and fair should be enough to not let criticism affect his/her job as a journalist. Catherine Anaya perfectly summarized the life a journalist when she said they have the privilege to, “see ordinary people do extraordinary things”. That is not just a job, it’s a blessing.

Maria ThompsonAugust 29, 2011 @ 11:09 pm
  31. Tonight we had the pleasure of having the women of Arizona TV News join the ASU students to discuss their careers as anchors and their challenges in the industry.
    The first main topic discussed was the difference of difficulty in the TV industry for women versus men. Most of the ladies on the panel claimed that it is equally as difficult in the market for the men and that they have not felt significantly strained because of their gender. Opportunities are increasing for women in the news world, yet most of the women claim that the most difficult part of the job is separating their personal lives from their working lives.
    Social media has certainly left its impact on the news women of The Valley. All of the ladies claim that social media is a great source of quick information, and that they would still be involved heavily (if not more so) in social media sites even if their career paths didn’t involve journalism. They also say that online media and updates allow them to form better relationships with the viewers on an almost personal level, but there is a fine line between informative info and overstepping the boundaries of personal info.
    A few of the women defined “news” for the students. Linda Williams drew the ties between “news” and the term “new”, signifying the fact that news is always new and up to date. Other definitions involved relevance to the audience.
    After sharing their first story experiences, the women of Arizona News left the audience with hope of a bright future for the industry and the growth of our careers as journalists.

Steve ZinsmeisterAugust 29, 2011 @ 11:10 pm
  32. I can honestly say that I got so much more out of this Must See Monday than I originally expected. I have such a high level of respect for the women that spoke tonight, especially Lin Sue Cooney, and it was a privilege getting to listen to their outlook on the world of journalism. It was a breath of fresh air to see that all of the women were not only civil with each other, but friendly. Catherine Anaya and Carey Pena even go to the same hair salon! All the women agreed that although it was no disadvantage being a woman in the newsroom, it was still a challenge balancing everyday life with their jobs. From year-old twins to a broken air conditioning, they each explained their own personal views on ways to cope with the workforce and the job that is being a housewife and mother. However, although they all have hectic lives, they each remain extremely successful in the field of broadcast journalism, and it was an hour and a half full of priceless, valuable information.

Hayli MetterAugust 29, 2011 @ 11:25 pm
  33. Having the privilege of having at least one of Arizona’s renowned anchor women in Cronkite would have been an opportune Monday Must See, but once again Cronkite Staff over did themselves. On August 29, 2011, at ASU’s Downtown Phoenix campus the First Amendment Forum invited five top name women wonders of journalism for one personable and stirring Must See Monday.
    If you were unfortunate enough to forget about tonight’s eye opening event or just decided to miss out on tonight’s festivities, the women on board included Catherina Anaya (CBS 5), Lin Sue Cooney (12 News), Carey Peña (KTVK 3), Katie Raml (ABC 15), and Linda Williams (FOX 10). All big names in Arizona’s journalist pool undoubtedly, but nevertheless their fame & obvious reputation, all the women portrayed an approachable, humble and gracious persona.
    Throughout the next portion of the Must See Monday event, the ladies were asked resourceful questions about everything from, were you always set on becoming a broadcast journalist to what was your first broadcast like? Each anchor provided the audience with an insightful answer that was not only formal but casual. Similar to talking to an old friend the women of Arizona’s journalism community showed that nevertheless how on top of the game they were now, they all started from bottom of the pyramid as an intern or even a free lance reporter just trying to get their story on a side bar.
    Overall the night itself broadened my knowledge of the growth that you can achieve as a journalist with a bit of motivation, a pinch of determination and unflawed passion for what you do. Each of the women showed a love for their job and a deep appreciation for what they give to the community through journalism.
    In conclusion I sincerely appreciated tonight’s Must See Monday and can’t wait for more Monday’s with these valuable opportunities.

Cissy WorstellAugust 29, 2011 @ 11:28 pm
  34. Tonight’s Must-See Monday was incredibly inspiring, especially for us female journalism students. Being from California, I had never previously seen any of the women anchors from the Arizona news world. However, I still found Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Pena, Katie Raml and Linda Williams very intriguing and exciting to listen to. Hearing that there are no boundaries for women in the modern field of journalism was so encouraging for me, as that had been one of my previous concerns. I also found the discussion about the role that social media now plays in journalism to be especially interesting. Indeed, sites such as Facebook and Twitter enable us easier access to be “in the news” and involved with the latest that people are talking about. The stories that the women shared about their first jobs were invigorating! Pena’s story about Patrick Swayze was fascinating and I cannot wait to be involved in the workforce as a successful journalist. Though all of tonight’s Must-See Monday was amazing, I found the best part to be when the women answered the question, “What was the best advice you ever received?” I found their advice, such as, “Be knowledgable but don’t be afraid when you’re unsure,” to be incredibly helpful as a young student of journalism.

Jessica AtwoodAugust 29, 2011 @ 11:37 pm
  35. I am so glad I went to Must See Monday today! It was so cool! I loved hearing the five women on the panel speak about their careers and also their lives. I couldn’t help myself from thinking “I want to be just like them someday!” My favorite part was hearing how the women made it possible to manage their career and having a family. Even though it may be a “balance act,” it seemed like they all agreed that it’s totally worth it! It was also really interesting that the women practically quoted Dean Callahan’s lecture this morning in JMC 110. Both Dean Callahan and the panel made it a point that diversity in the newsroom is important and also that to good journalists, no story only has two sides. There are tons of dimensions, and it’s the job of a reporter to stay as objective as possible. Since it’s commonly believed that a reporter’s job turns him or her cynical and shaded, I was glad to hear from Catherine Anaya that she believed this statement to be false. In fact, she believes that her job has made her more compassionate, more grateful, and more active. She mentioned that her job has really allowed her to meet ordinary people who are doing extraordinary things all the time and it makes her really appreciate what she does. I think I got a lot out of hearing these women. They gave great advice and reassurance that my dream is possible. Like they all said, hearing so many stories and so much news really makes you realize how big the world is!

Hannah LawrenceAugust 30, 2011 @ 12:08 am
  36. Watching anchors from different stations come sit down in one room is almost an unheard of event. They may be competitors on air, but when the red light goes off, they are just friends with a similar job. I am not from the Phoenix area, so it was nice getting a chance to see and meet “The Women of Arizona TV News” and get a feel for who they all are.
    The first question posed to the “Amazing Panel of Women,” as Sue Green put it, was asking if it is difficult to enter and survive being in the news industry as a woman. The responses were basically unanimous with the five women all saying it is no more difficult for a woman than a man to become a journalist. Carey Peña mentioned that you must always be on your feet and working to be able to make it in the business. One thing Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Peña, and Katie Raml all said this evening was that you need to have your work life and your personal life balanced, especially with a family.
    One of the themes throughout the night was social media. Since it’s launch in the summer of 2006, Twitter has gradually become more and more a part of everyone’s life. For the world of news, it has been particularly useful as a way of getting information out quickly to consumers. Along with the news side of the women, Twitter also gives them a chance to really connect with the viewers. Lin Sue commented that when people come up to them and say they feel like they know them, “they really do know us,” she said, being able to connect on a whole new level.
    If I take anything away from this Monday’s event, it’s that journalism is one of the most fascinating industries. Anchors present some of the most dreadful, distressing stories of the day, but you make the best of friends and have lifelong relationships while you do it. Yes, it’s a demanding profession, but the rewards are worth it. You change lives, and have your life changed along the way.

Michael SmithAugust 30, 2011 @ 2:22 am
  37. Meet the Women of Arizona TV News

This week was a totally different style for Must See Monday. I really enjoyed the layout of the evening with the moderator Susan Green and the casual conversation panel of Lin Sue Cooney, Catherine Anaya, Carey Peña, Linda Williams and Katie Raml. Since I am not from Arizona I have only seen a few of their new casts but can tell from tonight that they are all great journalist and highly respected throughout the Valley. I was amazed that these anchorwomen, all from different channels got along so well, and fed of each other’s comments. Green Started off the evening by asking the ladies if it was difficult to be a woman anchor on the news? The response that stayed with me was Cooney’s, it’s hard to balance being an anchor and the other roles of being a woman, like being a mom and wife. I think that is probably an average struggle for most working women but the odd hours of being on TV must make it even harder. All of the ladies seem to love the ever-evolving world of journalism to include new mediums like Facebook and Twitter. They talked about how it brought them closer to the viewer and created a better connection. Twitter allows you to have more resources, and more contacts, which gives better access to a story according to Peña. They encouraged us to hit the ground running with social media but be careful with what we post. I thought it was neat when they discussed there first story, or experience behind the desk. Williams gave us all a good reminder to “not take things personally” we need to “move on” in order to be successful. Peña also told us that this is a learning industry, you are always learning new things. Anaya’s advice of “not letting them see you sweat” is something everyone needs to remember no matter what you are doing. Journalism has changed of the anchorwomen from being more analytical when looking at a story, to seeing how good the world and the people are that live here. I hope to one-day make an impact on the community I serve, like of these women have here in the Valley.

Justin McDuffieAugust 30, 2011 @ 3:18 am
  38. As a recent switch to the journalism major, I have sometimes felt like I was behind the crowd or outside of the loop of high school newspaper editors and yearbook reporters who seem to have wanted to be in this field since they could speak. But tonight, I realized that the important loop was the one that the five anchorwomen featured have kept me in for far longer than I can remember. Even at my busiest, watching the news has always been important; I cannot think of a day where either Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Katie Raml, Linda Williams, or Carey Peña has been the second to last person I see before going to bed, with the last being my own mother. It didn’t matter what my current career aspirations were or what my major was, these women have been keeping me in the loop of current events, breaking news, and human interests pieces that highlight the “ordinary people who do extraordinary things” who Catherine Anaya believes would fall under the radar without the news industry. I have been kept informed, inspired, and even entertained by these women-these incredible examples-for all of my life. Not only that, but apparently most of my early childhood education can be attributed to Linda Williams, who was once responsible for pressing the buttons to make sure Sesame Street came on every Saturday morning.
    Thank you to Cronkite for an incredible “Must See Monday” and thank you to Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Katie Raml, Linda Williams, and Carey Peña for bringing me into this industry long before I knew that I wanted to be. And on behalf of all college students-from math to journalism majors- I would like to thank Linda Williams, whose button pressing at five in the morning every Saturday probably seemed so benign at the time, but was really helping to teach a generation their letters and numbers. So, thanks for the information, for the inspiration, for the entertainment, and thank you, so very much, for the Sesame Street.

Julia KingAugust 30, 2011 @ 5:48 am
  39. I thought it was really great to here women’s perspective on what it was like to work in the journalism field, I thought for sure that they would have told us that it was hard to succeed as a woman, but I was pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong. My favorite part of the whole Must See was when they shared funny stories about the beginning of their careers. The best story in my opinion was the one about Patrick Swayze, that story showed me that in Journalism it is all about luck; you have to be at the right place at the right time. I’m not going to lie, but I was very dissapointed when they shared that a journalist starting out would around $10,000 a year.
    The one thing that I took out of this the most was when the women talked about how it was a struggle to balance their career and being a mother and a wife. I took this to heart becaus one day I want to be a wife and a mother, but I also want to be a well known and successful journalist. They shed some light on it for me, by explaining that you may have to deal with a family issue right before you go on air, but when that camera goes on and you are on live television you have to pull yourself together and block out all of your personal issues. I know right now I couldn’t do that, but hopefully when I am older and have more experience I hope to be able to hold in my emotions and when I give the news.
    It was interesting to hear how hard it was for one of the women to give the news about 911.
    I loved hearing from all the women that being a journalist hasn’t jaded them or made them cynical about the world and people. It was so refreshing that all of them agreed on how working in the news business have made them more compassionate, appreciative and caring and has also allowed them to see the good in people and in the society.

Emilee LeeAugust 30, 2011 @ 9:22 am
  40. As the five top anchors for Arizona news stations walked into the First Amendment Forum of our Cronkite School laughing, the anxious feeling in the pit of my stomach went away and I was at ease. Making jokes and listening to them reply to the questions our speaker provided, they were real, and I could actually relate to them. Tonight’s forum was definitely an eye opening experience. These five Arizona anchorwomen explained what it took for them to have the upper hand in this cut-throat business. Although Carey Pena stated that, “This industry is not necessarily cut-throat, but it is competitive. All of the good jobs are!” I now understand what it takes to be noticed in this industry. Lin Sue Cooney, 12 news, leaves us with the advice, “Take the high road!” Having integrity is a huge part of being a successful anchorwoman. When people start to trust you, it’s a lot easier to obtain the news that you need. People are going to make mistakes, but like Catherine Anaya’s boss said, “It could have happened to any of us, just don’t let it happen again.” There’s always room for improvement, and these five ladies were able to tell us about the mistakes they made first hand, and the ways they made up for it. Katie Raml, ABC 15, told us about her first news coverage. She was attempting to interview a few children, and tried to get on their level. Resulting in a black circle around her eye from the lens and not using a tripod. When her boss told her that her story wasn’t going to be featured on breaking news, she apologized and replied that it wouldn’t happen again. There is room for mistakes, and there is room to grow. It was so nice hearing about these 5 ladies experiences and knowing that, they too, had to start from scratch. Their words inspire me to be the most fair, ethical and authentic journalist I can be.

Sierra OshrinAugust 30, 2011 @ 10:23 am
  41. I was looking forward to this Must See Monday in particular because it would demonstrate to everyone how the diversity in newsrooms has changed over the years to include more women than ever. It also showed everyone how different all the women on stage were and the newsroom’s ability to adapt to new cultures and expand their horizons with their stories to include different lifestyles and customs.

The women featured in our Must See Monday last night were Katie Raml from ABC 15, Catherine Anaya from CBS 5, Lin Sue Cooney from 12 News, Carey Peña from KTVK 3 and Linda Williams from Fox 10. All of these women told us of the diverse situations they had been in and how they handled their predicaments out in the field. Along with that, they also were gracious enough to lend us some of their expertise and advise to take along with us when we pursue our future careers.

All five agreed that it was no different working with a woman co-anchor than it was with a man. And they all agreed that their work and home lives were completely separated so they could handle their work without worry of their families. Catherine Anaya even told us a story in which she was covering a political debate when her air conditioning went out at home, so when her daughter called to tell her it was about 90 degrees inside, Anaya had to continue with her work and worry about home after the debate.

Lin Sue Cooney stated, “I need another wife” when talking about the difficulties of balancing her work and family. Carey Peña noted that even though they all have those difficulties, she has seen more and more opportunities arise for women in the newsroom and they should embrace it whole-heartedly.

When the discussion of social media arose, all five of the women concluded that it has helped them professionally keep up with their viewers and with the news. Cooney and Peña said that it helped them keep updated with the incoming flurry of news about the Tucson shooting and Gabrielle Giffords’ condition. Raml believes that her access to Twitter and Facebook relieve some of the worry as to where her news comes from and knows that it is reliable information.

Williams and Anaya were the essence of diversity within their newsrooms with their racial differences which have helped their audiences relate to the newscasts and feel equality within the stations. All of these women showed their true colors last night, especially when Cooney stated that, “we started to have our menstrual cycles together” when speaking about working with her former co-anchor Janine Ford. It was definitely a night to remember.

Lindsay IvinsAugust 30, 2011 @ 10:41 am
  42. This weeks Must See Monday was incredible. The woman of AZ TV news were very insightful and poised. Over the hour and a half that they talked, they not only shared their stories of how they came to be, but also gave a lot of advice for not just broadcast majors but all journalism majors. Each woman had her own story and brought something new to the table. Despite their celebrity in this town, they were very down to earth people and gave off a very friendly vibe. Each one said at least one thing that really resonated with me.
    The first thing that I felt assured hearing was the fact that all four of them really believed that there is a place for woman in this industry but it isn’t easy. Katie Raml said that the hardest thing for women in the industry is the balance to do your job and be a good wife and mother. I believe that this is true of their job as well as a handful of others. I respect those women for reaching such a great status in their career and to continue to raise their families.
    I think that sometimes people in this career seem to look at social media as a bad thing because it does make getting their news out first a hard thing to do, but not only do the woman of AZ TV news like it, they do their best to connect with their audience, answering their questions and providing a service they couldn’t have years ago before the age of social media. Carey Pena stated that with Facebook and Twitter you are emerged in news 24/7 as well as leads to contacts and connections which is extremely important in this business. Raml added that she thinks it a good thing but has boundaries to keep her private life private. Catherine Anaya agreed with Raml stating that it is important to have a relationship with your audience but there is a fine line there because they start to feel like they actually know you which can lead to some problems. Lin Sue Cooney stated that it’s a way to personally connect with the audience.
    I found that for these women, not only are they doing what they love as a career but it has had a very great impact on their lives. Cooney said that through this job, “You will meet amazing people, tell inspiring stories that will help change people’s lives.” She also believes that new rooms have the power to create something amazing for people. Each also gave some advice that they were given when they started out in their career. Linda Williams heavily expressed that you cannot listen to the “nay Sayers.” She said you must go out and do what you want to do and that there is a niche for everyone. This statement really helped me with my fear that once I get out in the field of print journalism that there will be a place for me, where I can make a living and do something that I truly love. Anaya also helped some of my fear by stating that if you have an opportunity to work for a small market to do so because they expect you to make mistakes and are understanding. Williams expressed to not take it personally because you can’t afford. I agreed with her, I know that people always have something to say but you can’t let little nagging comments get you down. Cooney said to “Take the high road,” and treat everyone the way you want to be treated. Raml told us not to take credit for the high points and you don’t have to take credit for the low points. Her advice was to ride in the middle and say it’s the whole crew that has made the show a success.
    My favorite part of the night was when each anchor told the audience about their first story and we got a glimpse that even they made mistakes when they were starting out. I was very relieved that they also had fears when they started out and I found that I also share some of the fears that they experienced. Anaya said her biggest fear was failure and she learned that you can’t let them see you sweat. Pena said her biggest fear was that she wouldn’t know enough. She told us to be knowledgeable and put it to good use but the industry is about learning.
    All in all, I am very happy that I went to this weeks Must See Monday because even though I am not a broadcast major, I felt hope that I can make it in this industry and that as long as I work hard I can be a great journalist. I was so glad to see that these woman choose a job that they love but that also made a difference in their life. They expressed how the job has changed their prospective, made them better people and taught them how big the world is. I think it’s important for a job to not only be something you love but something that teaches you new things daily as well as keep you humble. Sayersrsrs said “It’s a career you have to fully embrace in order to be a great journalist,” and after this Must See Monday I am inspired to do just that.

Shelby MadsonAugust 30, 2011 @ 11:05 am
  43. This week’s “Must-See Monday” included the women of Arizona’s TV News: Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Peña, Katie Raml, and Linda Williams. Sitting there was an empowering hour for women who wished to make their career in the art of journalism. I found it interesting to listen to their observations of the changing world of journalism through the key years of evolving technology. Starting with typewriters, technology has not only made it easier to communicate and progress in the world of news, but it has also blurred the line between work life and personal life. They explained how important it is now to separate one’s work and one’s personal life. News never used to be 24/7, it never used to be as easy to grab as it is today. But twitter and the internet has created just that; something that you have to be on top of, and something you have to learn to balance. One of my favorite moments of the night was when they spoke of their first experiences on the job. I loved hearing how some started off with such unique experiences. They made it feel more human and real talking about the mistakes they made and the initiation into their field of journalism. Mistakes were good to experience in order to become a better journalist. In addition, masking emotions over an important story for those watching to understand was also inspiring as an aspiring journalist, but I loved the point that some of the ladies made that it was also important to show “compassion” and let the audience know that “they weren’t robots.”
    Overall, it was enlightening to learn some of the ropes of journalism, the growing fields offered, and the stories of the women who have witnessed the years when women were replaced because they aged, yet now live in a time where their job isn’t at stake because of their gender.

Jessica ObertAugust 30, 2011 @ 11:39 am
  44. Sitting in the First Amendment Forum every seat is taken, everyone eagerly awaiting the arrival of the women of Arizona TV news; three of whom are ASU alumni. When everyone is seated and has their microphones, the discussion begins. The women touch on all sorts of subjects, beginning with where they started their careers. From Lin Sue who got hers in little Beaumont, Texas to Carey Peña who went straight to where she is now. All five women agree that though men are dominate in the business, it is not hard at all to thrive in it as a woman. Balancing work and their personal lives? That’s the tough part. Carey Peña says she has learned to focus solely on work during business hours and solely focused on her family when she’s home. But Lin Sue says for her it’s much harder to separate the two; whether she is at home or at work she is constantly thinking of each one. Another thing the women agree on is that the growing technologies are very helpful, and it’s been quite easy to adjust to them. Some enjoy using those technologies all the time to stay informed and keep people informed while others only enjoy using those technologies during business hours in order to have some sort of a private life. “There is definitely a fine line,” says Catherine Anaya. Overall the discussion was very insightful to those of us interested in the business and was definitely the topic of discussion the rest of the evening amongst the students.

Jasmin GarciaAugust 30, 2011 @ 12:05 pm
  45. Tonight’s “Must See Monday” featured some of the greats of Arizona broadcast news. We had the chance to hear from Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Peña, Katie Raml, and Linda Williams. I was quickly intrigued when I heard these were the speakers because my dad is friends with Lin Sue Cooney so I hear about her all the time and I interned at ABC15 this summer so I had the opportunity to see Katie Raml in action on the regular. Hearing about their journeys to where they are today and what being a news anchor means in their eyes was truly inspiring. I think the part that was most interesting to me was hearing there take on the ever changing world of journalism. They gave me hope for the future knowing that still work everyday to purify journalism and they may come from different places and have different stories to tell us but one thing was the same with all: they strive to inform and spread truth to the people. I also left the presentation thinking about the importance of keeping your two lives separate for not only the safety of your career but yourself as well. I went to Channel 12 last year to meet Mark Curtis and Lin Sue Coonie, they gave me a tour of the studio and let me sit in and watch their 10 o’clock news broadcast. I remember afterwards Lin Sue telling me all about those fans who think they really know you because they see you on every night. It is important to watch your relationships with the viewers and remember why you are here every day. I know it will be a challenge but these women show me it is possible to accomplish your dreams and succeed as a broadcast journalist. Overall, when reflecting on the night it was not only informative, but it was nice to see these women were still just mothers and friends and people who have a life that goes far beyond the news. They were once in my spot and listening ended up being very encouraging and gives me more drive to succeed.

Haley MaddenAugust 30, 2011 @ 12:21 pm
  46. I have to say that after the first Must See Monday of the year, I was disappointed with the quality of the discussion last night. While I do not necessarily consider myself a feminist, I have to ask whether or not this discussion had anything to do with journalism, other than to further illustrate the difficulties that will arise in the business due to being a female.
    After learning about the Rupert Murdoch scandal last week, it was disappointing to see such women that young viewers look up to gossiping over trivial matters. If they had covered emerging news stories or injustices in the Arizona market, it would have at least been worth the time. Rather than ask hardball questions over their experiences in the field, the moderator proceeded to ask the women anchors of Arizona news whether or not they found it difficult to balance their lives as mothers with their lives as journalists. No father in the business would have ever been subjected to a question of that vein. Other questions included concerns over clothing and if they found it hard to work with other female anchors. Someone even mentioned periods. It was utterly unprofessional and noneducational.
    I ducked out just before the program ended, and tried to avoid the eyes of Dean Callahan. Perhaps it was rude of me to leave the lecture early, but the disillusionment after the talk felt worse than his disapproval at my actions. These were powerful women in the media, and they sat around acting like The View, if not worse. If this is what I will have to face in the work place, I don’t know if I will be able to handle that.

Elizabeth RieckenAugust 30, 2011 @ 12:24 pm
  47. The women of the Phoenix broadcasting market left an impression last night on not only all the young women, but also the young men. It was odd to see so many reporters and anchors sitting still for so long. The evening began with an introduction by moderator and teacher Sue Green. She described the backgrounds of each women and their profession before they came to be prominent. She talked to each one like she knew them and it made the atmosphere very pleasant. Each journalist had been in broadcasting more than a decade and each came with their own stories to tell. Carey Pena talked about juggling her new twin boys and managing the news that came into twitter. Catherine Anaya also had children, but warned about the dangers of being in the eye of social media. She recalled that she was asked to drinks by strangers. “I’ve been hit on before,” she said with distaste. Linda Williams talked about the ease of aging in the broadcasting industry, when before it had been her biggest worry. Williams talked about the lack of opinion towards her makeup in the news room. Lin Sue Cooley talked about the people she had met and what a great opportunity it was to work in news and meet the people she had. Being a T.V. personality I see why she wouldn’t too personal with her comments. Katie Raml talked about her first day in the reporter and getting her project rejected by the news director. “I went home and cried in the shower,” she said. She said that she didn’t let it show through though. “My mom and I went to Chilies and I was ok.” Anaya ended the talk with a quote that I felt strongly about. She said, “Television is very transparent. The real person will come out sooner or later. I think you have to be a real person to make it in this business.”

Brian WiseAugust 30, 2011 @ 12:25 pm
  48. After experiencing my first Must See Monday last week, I was very excited to go to another one, now knowing what to expect from the presentations. The speakers this week were some of the main anchor women in Arizona. Even though I do not plan on a broadcast emphasis during my time at Cronkite, I was still excited to hear them speak and listen to their experiences. I came away from hearing them speak with a newfound appreciation of the profession as well as some valuable wisdom they were kind enough to pass off to those in attendance. One thing they discussed was the recent impact social media has had on the industry and how it can easily be used to pass a story on to readers, but also presents new challenges and adds extra pressure in reporting the news in a timely manner. One of the most interesting things the women shared with the audience was stories of their first experiences in the professional world. I especially enjoyed Carey’s experience in reporting on the 9/11 attacks when she was still relatively new as well as Katie’s story about a defunct tripod and realizing people don’t want excuses, but results. Attending this week’s Must See Monday was a very good experience and hopefully the events will continue to get better every week.

Josh HamelAugust 30, 2011 @ 12:26 pm
  49. As a woman pursuing an education and career in journalism, there is nothing more inspiring than to listen to the stories of five female anchors of Arizona news. It was refreshing to hear them say that the challenges journalists face seem to be equal for both men and women. Although, they admit to the news industry being extremely competitive it is not as cutthroat as many people think. Having this panel of women speak to the Cronkite School brought a realistic connection between students and future career possibilities. When you see someone on TV it is a nice feeling to have those people come down to earth in a sense and be so real. They truly brought a greater sense of hope to the campus and like Catherine Anaya said, they are a reflection of the people watching the news. If she can do it, so can I. What a great way to pick up the momentum and be motivated to refocus one’s energy into one’s dream. -Words From the Mind of Shirin J. Ahmadpour

Shirin J. AhmadpourAugust 30, 2011 @ 12:28 pm
  50. As an aspiring journalist in the 21st century, I have never really been concerned about my place in the workforce as a female. Last night’s Must See Monday event with the women of Arizona TV news confirmed this belief. All five women agreed that it is not more difficult for a woman to survive in the industry simply because she is a woman. Lin Sue Cooney of 12 News said it is not so difficult being a woman journalist so much as it is being a committed wife and mother. Carey Peña of KTVK 3 mirrored these sentiments saying it is sometimes hard to balance her life as a mother of twin 1-year-olds and as an anchorwoman. Peña said the advancement of social media has changed journalism for the better. She said news is constant and that even when you leave the news room, news is still there. She added that she was able to follow the Gabby Giffords shooting in Tucson from her living room simply by tweeting and retweeting. Each woman finished by giving advice to the journalism students. Linda Williams who has been with FOX for 30 years said “don’t take [criticisms] personally” because you can’t afford to. I am excited to be apart of the journalism world even more so now with the knowledge and inspiration these women have given me.

Chelsey ParsonsAugust 30, 2011 @ 2:27 pm
  51. I absolutely loved last night’s Must See Monday. All of the women were real, down-to-earth people that I aspire to be like. I enjoyed the fact that they did not harp on being women and how hard it is to be in this industry. If anything, they gave me hope that anybody (man, woman, black, white, Hispanic, etc.) could be successful if we work hard and get to know people who can help us. The anchor women do a marvelous job at not only being telling the news, but also living it. What I mean is, they are regular, ordinary people who have husbands and children and broken air conditioners and have to deal with the economy and life just like the rest of us. They just get to do it on TV. Part of me wonders who their inspirations were/are. We turn on the TV today and have multiple stations and personalities to choose from and we have our particular favorites, so I wonder who they look up to? Who did they admire when they were younger and just starting out in the business? It would be an interesting story.
    I also enjoyed the part where the spoke about their first news assignment. From cursing on TV to finding Patrick Swayze, these women showed that they do have human flaws and stumbled at the beginning just like all of us inevitably will. This is encouraging. It was a pleasure meeting them and speaking with them and hopefully one day I’ll get to do it again.

Ciara ArcherAugust 30, 2011 @ 2:50 pm
  52. I thoroughly enjoyed this week’s Must See Monday event with the Women of Arizona TV News. All five women brought a unique perspective to what it takes to be a successful journalist in the high-paced technologically advanced field journalism has become. Carey Peña seemed especially excited about the Twitter revolution and its impact on the availability and immediacy of news. In fact, multiple times during the event she would purposely look down at her smart phone and comment on the tweets that the students were making on her feed as the event was in progress. Thanks to that, I’m sure many students will walk away from this event with a renewed sense of the importance of social media.
    Linda Williams’ longevity and continued success in the industry was another strong message offered at the event. Many students are looking to journalism as a long term career and Linda is a great representation of that.
    One of the most practical pieces of advice offered multiple times during the night is the importance of being a good writer. I fear many young men and women who want to become a reporter or anchor assume they can rely on their looks and oratory skills while letting others write their stories. While I’m sure this happens occasionally, the women on the panel made it clear that it is a substantial competitive advantage to also be an exceptional writer.
    This is just a small sample of the great advice and insights given by the charitable panelists. I would like to say thanks again to the Women of Arizona TV News for spending your Monday evening with us!

Jeff MarshallAugust 30, 2011 @ 2:59 pm
  53. On tonight’s must see Monday, the women of the Arizona TV news held an informative yet slightly casual panel, the anchors reminisced, shared funny anecdotes, and imparted important advise. In the 75-minute span, each anchor shared their first story, their best story, and even a few of the anchors (Catherine Anaya) shared embarrassing stories about bloopers etc. What one of the poignant moments in this must see Monday was, though, was when the panel talked about emotional stories breaking, and how they dealt with those stories. When each of the Anchors spoke, they all shared a point at which they had to let their emotions show through their professionalism on the air. Catherine Anaya shared a touching story about how she let some of her emotion shine through her report when she was anchoring on a story of a child who was beaten to death by the people he was with. At this point, many of the Anchor women agreed that to show some emotion on the air adds not only credibility, but also it can add another dimension to yourself that the viewers can access and be exposed to.
    Another important lesson that the Anchorwomen imparted onto the audience was the importance of social media. Being an advocate for using social media, Linda Williams said that “I find social media incredibly valuable, not only with business, but with life in general.”
    On top of social media in general use, the Anchorwomen warned against posting the wrong things, for example obscene or improper things. “When it comes to social media, be careful about what you post,” said Catherine Anaya. This reflected upon the level professionalism that all journalists should have in dealing with public and social media. “Some of the things you post now can have an effect on you later in life,” said Linda Williams.

Dominic ValenteAugust 30, 2011 @ 3:18 pm
  54. News is a combination of what viewers want to know and what they need to know. This was one of the definitions given by the five women on the Meet the Women of Arizona TV News panel on Monday night. This was Lin Sue Cooney’s definition, backed up by Katie Raml, who also added that news is what people are talking about. These women, along with Catherine Anaya, Carey Peña and Linda Williams, have all been in Arizona broadcast news for over a decade. In fact, three of them – Raml, Peña and Williams – graduated from ASU. All five agreed that social media is increasingly important. Raml even said it has helped her newscast tweak coverage to what people are wondering about. They were all very optimistic and excited for the students’ futures; Williams said we need to find our niche or we could even create it because of all the platforms out there for us. I took comfort in the fact that they all admitted to being nervous at first. It let me know that these emotions are normal.

55. With times changing, and social media outlets such as Twitter and Facebook on the rise, it is now easier than ever to keep up-to-date with just about everyone and anyone. It’s no secret that along with my personal friends, I am an avid follower of the many local news channels here in Arizona. So when I heard of the opportunity to hear from five successful news women in AZ, I was ecstatic. With wise words, these five women truly defined what it takes to make it in this business.
    “Don’t take it personal,” Linda Williams, anchor for FOX 10, said. And this by far is the best advice I heard during the night. In a field as rigorous, competitive, and fast-paced as journalism, there is no need to slow down when someone puts you down. Strong words of advice, considering the news business is all about moving forward.
    “If you have the opportunity to go anywhere in a small market, do it first to get your mistakes out of the way,” Catherine Anaya, anchor of CBS 5, said. It’s all about experience, and the more experience you gain, the better you become.
    All of the women gave powerful words of news wisdom, including Lin Sue Cooney, Katie Raml, and Carey Pena. Their experiences empowered me to form the conclusion that you can really get something out of doing what you love.
    Catherine Anaya said that her biggest fear when starting out was failing. But she knew that if she never gave it a chance, she would hate herself. To me, that is what a career in journalism is all about. Though there are challenges, and starting off isn’t always easy, there is something about capturing a story that can impact you for days to come, and maybe even your life.

Jamie WarrenAugust 30, 2011 @ 3:32 pm
  56. This “Must See Mondays” was ladies night and the feeling was so right. The women of Arizona’s broadcast news stations, Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Peña, Katie Raml and Linda Williams, were all present to discuss common questions about women in the journalism business. From what they discussed, I came to understand that in the journalism business, you have to take the good with the bad.
    Anaya revealed her own horror story: she said, “oh shit” on the air. While she got a break for her mistake, some markets are not so forgiving. Her warning to start in a small market is one that I plan to remember. I’d like to have a few practice runs before I truly dive into the journalism world.
    Cooney shared that while you, as a journalist, can be successful in the business, what isn’t so certain is whether you have the ability to balance both a career and a family. The problem with news is that it never stops. This of course worries me because in life I hope to be lucky to have both a family and a career. I know now that I’ll have to prepare for the imbalance.
    Peña warned that you might say stupid things if you overthink it. I can understand that. Thinking too much keeps you out of the moment. Why be enwrapped in your own mind when you can just let things be naturally?
    Raml talked about how you may finally get your break, but unexpectedly mess up horrifically. From this she learned that mistakes happen and you have to come out of them stronger. This made me feel better knowing even a top broadcaster has had her share of bad days and that the bad days didn’t make her drown in sorrow.
    Williams discussed that although it’s hard to start out in a perfect place in this business, you’ll get to where you want to be somehow since journalism is so diverse. You’ll be able to find your niche, no matter what. I’m excited for this. I do not exactly know what I want to do, but knowing that there has got to be something out there fit for me is comforting to say the least.
    Nothing is perfect in life and that became ever so transparent during this “Must See Mondays.” So, if I continue this road to becoming a journalist, I have to remember to not be afraid and to allow myself to be imperfect. Just as imperfection didn’t keep the leading ladies of Arizona’s news teams from their dreams, it won’t keep me from my own.

Gretchen BurntonAugust 30, 2011 @ 3:52 pm
  57. On August 29, I had the pleasure to learn from Arizona’s top female journalists: Katie Raml, Lin Sue Cooney, Linda Williams, Carey Peña, and Catherine Anaya. The valuable journalistic advice and stories offered by these successful women really solidified my want to one day become a news anchor. Three out of five of these women of Arizona television news are proud Arizona State University Alumnae. This validating fact proved to each Walter Cronkite School student that Arizona State University’s program truly produces exceptional journalists. One subject covered thoroughly during this evening was concerning being a female in the broadcast world. Each of the five women agreed that being a woman does not hinder a journalist’s ability to thrive in the business. Another aspect of their careers that I found quite intriguing was the power to touch someone’s life and make a difference in the community. Lin Sue Cooney first brought up this idea when she was commenting on her first story and broadcast memory. Each of these women, along with a world of other journalists, are knowledgeable individuals that truly impact the lives of their audience. I am so thrilled that I, too, can be a part of that impact. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed listening to Katie Raml, Lin Sue Cooney, Linda Williams, Carey Peña, and Catherine Anaya share their insights in the field of broadcast journalism.

Shannon ScharrerAugust 30, 2011 @ 4:36 pm
  58. Catherine Anya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Pena, Katie Ramel, and Linda Williams are truly insperational and influential icons to the female broadcast media industry. It was surreal to be able to sit and listen to their outlooks and experiences on the job. When the question arose of females having trouble holding anchoring positions I found myself very intrigued.As a female I had been having concerns about not finding my own personal spot in the field. Linda Williams said that there are so many nitches in the industry you have to find one that fits you personally. If you like grizzly bears there could be a grizzly bear channel. Carey Pena went from reporting small stories, to breaking news, to anchoring all in the course of her young career. It was inspiring that those five females were all in my position at one point in their lives and became successful, powerhouse women. I left must see monday even more motivated and ready to take broadcast media by the horns.

Megan BreinigAugust 30, 2011 @ 5:09 pm
  59. This week’s Must See Monday: Meet The Women of Arizona TV News offered a more relaxed glimpse into the lives of a broadcaster. This panel consisting of: Katie Raml, Lin Sue Cooney, LInda Williams, Carey Pena, and Catherine Anaya chatted about almost every aspect of being a successful news anchor. They discussed personal stories, gave advice, and showed us what it takes to make it. This Must See Monday featuring the women of Arizona television interested me a lot. All of these women had respectable careers that I admire. Their advice was greatly appreciated by me, because that is exactly where I hope to be in the future. Listening to them talk about their trials and mistakes helped put many of my worries at bay. They answered a lot of the questions I had on how to make it in this business. Also, it was good to know what to expect if I were to pursue this career. This event was great for those of us looking to go into broadcast journalism, especially us females.

Regina FantyAugust 30, 2011 @ 5:16 pm
  60.   I really enjoyed this week’s Must See Monday with the Women of Arizona TV News. It was an honor to be able to hear from Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Pena, Katie Raml, and Linda Williams about the evolving broadcast journalism industry. It was interesting to hear how working as woman in this industry is not difficult at all, however, balancing one’s work life and personal life is a very tricky matter. “It’s always there,” said Cooney, in regards to constantly thinking about her family while on the job. These women also talked about how the media is always evolving and it is difficult to keep up. Now, the internet is a very valuable resource because it helps news stations figure out what people are interested in and what issues they want to be covered more. Carey Pena, a huge Twitter fan, believes that interacting with the public one on one is really important in order to be a successful journalist. I agree that in order to keep up with this fast-paced industry, journalists must conform to the modern ways of technology. Overall, being a successful television anchor takes a lot of work because of the constant balancing act between one’s private and public life. As Carey Pena said, “Working in news, we have such a sense of community”, and that is what makes it all worth it.

Bianca RepasiAugust 30, 2011 @ 5:45 pm
  61. Last night’s Must See Monday was probably the one I had been most excited for out of the list for the semester’s events, obviously because I had grown up watching this women and they share responsibility for making me choose this as a career. Watching them walk up to the First Amendment Forum felt as if celebrities were entering the room; I was starstruck. What was most funny to me was that, as the women came up to the front, they were taking pictures of us. The starstruck feeling then slowly began to subside, as I could see these women as real people. When the discussion began, I was engulfed in anything and everything these ladies were saying. Their stories of working their way to the top were both hilarious and enlightening. They seemed honest and trustworthy, just like on their broadcast television stations. This Must See Monday inspired me, not only as a prospective Broadcast Journalism, but as a woman as well. I want to personally thank all these beautiful ladies for spending their time talking with us and it was a pleasure listening to them discuss their careers.

Megan ThompsonAugust 30, 2011 @ 5:51 pm
  62. The times have changed. Women thrive in society equally and stronger than men.
    Arizona’s women of television news, Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Cary Peña, Katie Raml and Linda Williams, showed that the world has evolved from its once male domination.
    Each of these women is now anchors for their respective stations.
    I felt privileged to be able to hear all of the stories associated with how they achieved their success from having started so small.
    It was very personal how each of the women told some of their difficulties that they face now. Cooney’s was particularly interesting in a very personal way, as she talked about never being able completely separate work from home or home from work.
    “I’m not good at separating the two,” Cooney said. “My kids are always there, but when I’m at home, I’m also thinking of work.”
    The panel of five covered an assortment of topics, even touching on social media’s pros and cons.
    Each agreed that Twitter and facebook contribute in immeasurable amounts to spreading news and learning of it, but they also touched on the invasiveness of it and how it affects their lives directly.
    “One minute you’re thanking someone for their contribution, and the next he’s trying to proposition you,” Cooney said.
    Listening to all of the advice that these women had to give was sobering. It really made these women, most of whom I’ve grown up watching, humanized. This experience took a face from television and made them into just five regular people looking to help out a student.

Kyle RenickAugust 30, 2011 @ 6:09 pm
  63. At the Must See Monday event on August 29th, five incredible newswomen from stations in town spoke to those who attended. Catherine Anaya from CBS 5, Lin Sue Cooney from 12 News, Carey Pena from KTVK 3, Katie Raml from ABC 15, and Linda Williams from FOX 10. They were absolutely wonderful. I enjoyed hearing the five of them, who all have different backgrounds, speak about their experiences and how they feel about news. As a girl who wants to follow in their footsteps, and be anchors, it was especially interesting to me, and after leaving the lecture I was reminded of why I wanted to become a journalist to begin with.

It was reassuring to me when the women all agreed that it was not more difficult as a woman in the news business to survive than a man. They talked about the evolving news world, and I completely agree with them. The way news is viewed is changing, and it’s more fair for women and men in this business.

I liked what they said about personal lives. It’s always interesting to hear how journalists are able to have a personal life and a career. It’s difficult enough to be a journalist, and to know that the five women are able to balance personal and professional lives is reassuring that it’s possible even if it is stressful and difficult.

When they talked about the effect of social networks like Facebook and Twitter I completely agreed with them. Those kinds of networks have changed the world so much in the few short years that they’ve been around. Everyone around the world tweets and posts their status updates so often that you can not only know what is going on in their personal lives every minute of the day, but also global occurrences. I agreed with the point about having the social networks being a way to connect with their viewers and it’s a good way to know what viewers want to know more or less about.

Jessica PopowcerAugust 30, 2011 @ 6:40 pm
  64. Meet the Women of Arizona TV News was a wonderful Must See Monday. The set up of having a question and answer panel was very engaging. It was great to listen to a group of female broadcasters that are diverse in ethnicity and age. What was so interesting about listening to these five women was that they all were able to easily connect with one another through all their individually unique experiences. For them to share their experiences with us was very enlightening. All five women have been in the business over ten years and had many similar ideas to share. One of their first topics was the concept of being a woman in this field. They all agreed that it really is not difficult to “survive” as a woman, but rather the greater struggle is handling home life alongside such a demanding career. Carey Pena made a great point when she commented that broadcast journalism is a “career you have to embrace fully” because the “news never stops.” Along with her statement, the women discussed the changes in the field with social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter. These sites have allowed for more personal relationships to form between the broadcasters and the public, yet they create a greater demand on the broadcasters. But still, they are important for creating more chances of success. Overall, the women of Arizona TV news had many great things to say about their profession. They all love their careers and the fact that it allows them the power to do a lot of good. I have an interest in print journalism, but I still found what these women had to say to be incredibly insightful and encouraging. And one point was made that made me reflect on my choice of print over journalism; the idea that television presents the story as it really appears through video and photos. Print journalism on the other hand allows for imagination. This definitely brought the journalism field into a new perspective for me.

Madeline PadoAugust 30, 2011 @ 7:07 pm
  65. As journalism continues its course in change, many wonder what lies ahead in the future. Last night’s Must See Monday, Meet the Women of Arizona TV News, answered many wary questions for us future journalists. One topic that struck my interest was discussed at the very beginning; is it hard to survive in the industry as a woman? This was a significant issue because if time were to rewind, the answer may have been yes. I was pleased to be informed that journalism is an industry today where women have an equal opportunity as men.
    Learning about the personal life of these five amazing women was very interesting. Not only do they work countless hours in the industry, but once the cameras shut off, they all attend their second job, motherhood and family. For some it is easier than others. For example: Carey Peña seems to balance her personal and professional life very well. After recently having twins, she juggles the tasks of being a good mother, an active tweeter (even at home), and finds the time to be immersed in news all the time. Whereas Linda Williams stated she has a harder time switching back and forth between the two roles. She said “When I am at the office I often think about what my kids are doing—are they at soccer practice? And when I am at home I’m thinking about what big story needs to be completed.”
    Just because this industry offers equal opportunities for both genders, does not mean it is easy sailing. The business is hard, and the business is a never-ending challenge. The best pieces of advice: go into the industry with a background of knowledge—start somewhere small where you can make all of the mistakes needed to learn. Two, don’t take criticism personally—there will always be people to try and make you fail, but learn to overcome them. Three, don’t overthink your questions—journalists report the news to inform the public. Make sure a story is comprehendible.
    Although journalism is in the height of change, it is important to remember the basics of why we want to become journalists. The Women of Arizona News expressed their true passion for journalism, and confirmed that the change in the industry is not a bad thing, but is actually a very positive run in the making.

Marina BeachAugust 30, 2011 @ 7:13 pm
  66. I definitely enjoyed this must see Monday! Being that I am from California I really had no idea as to who the women of Arizona TV news were so it was an excellent choice of panelist and it allowed me to get to know them. With topics covered such as surviving in the news business, finding a balance between work and family, and adjusting to technological changes the women all found ways to give great insight.

As Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Pena, Katie Raml and Linda Williams all spoke they gave words of advice that I will never forget. Katie Raml warned us that, chances are, the camera gear at school will be nicer than at our first workplace. Lin Sue Cooney told us that we will be covering boring news but that will fade away when you get to see how it makes a difference. Linda Williams wants us all to explore and reach for our dreams and not listen to naysayers. Carey Pena urged us not to over think questions that we want to ask or plan on asking our sources. Lastly, Catherine Anaya informed us that starting out in a small market is a revolving door where it is okay to make mistakes because they expect it. All in all I learned a whole lot and loved every minute of it.

Erica N. WhiteAugust 30, 2011 @ 7:39 pm
  67. To be honest this Must See Monday event reminded me of an “Empowering Women!” rally, or something along those lines. I thought that some of the discussion topics and the directions they took were pretty cheesy, but overall it was enjoyable. All five women were very personable, funny, and seemed genuinely passionate. My personal favorite was Katie Raml, mostly because she seemed the most down to earth and honest while sharing her experiences. It was interesting to hear about how each anchor moved up in the journalism world, and how they have managed to balance a profession that is becoming more and more a lifestyle – rather than a job that is separate from personal life. I guess what I took the most from this Must See Monday event was that everyone has to start somewhere, and you are going to make mistakes. The people that make it in this industry are those that are truly passionate and in it for the right reasons. It is vital to make connections and just keep going at it, especially on the difficult days.

Kylie GumpertAugust 30, 2011 @ 10:00 pm
  68. It is always exciting to be in the presence of someone who has what you want. This was definitely the case during this week’s Must See Monday, which had five women from Arizona TV News. Three of these women being ASU alum, and two who were from other great journalism schools. I enjoyed the style of this Must See Monday, which was more of a question and answer session, with great questions that I definitely would have asked myself. I loved hearing that all five of the women don’t think that it is more difficult for women to be in this industry, and they had some great stories to prove why that is so. As a person who is very involved with social media, it was nice to hear their advice about how to use it when in this industry. Overall, I think the best thing was hearing their stories of when they first started and how they made mistakes. I think going into this industry a lot of us believe we have to be perfect all of the time, and we have to realize that isn’t always going to happen because we are human. My favorite quote of the night came from Linda Williams when she said, “encourage, explore, don’t listen to the nay-sayers, and there is a niche for you.” It was definitely great to hear stories from people who were once in the same place that I am now, and I was really happy I attended this Must See Monday.

Stacy HaynesAugust 30, 2011 @ 10:41 pm
  69. Being a woman that plans on having a career in Broadcast Journalism, it was extremely insightful for me to listen to Katie Raml, Linda Williams, Carey Pena, Lin Sue Cooney, and Catherine Anaya speak about their careers. They all had different stories and came from different backgrounds which made the information they provided that much more interesting. These five incredible women discussed everything from their first stories to their present day challenges. Some of these challenges are going to be the same when I am a woman with a career in broadcast journalism. I know I will have to learn how to differentiate my home and work life but still realize that the news never stops. I cannot wait to use the advice that these women have passed onto me and use it in my future career.

Roisin DoyAugust 30, 2011 @ 11:10 pm
  70. This week’s Must See Monday included five ladies of Arizona TV news, including Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Linda Williams, Katie Raml, and Carey Peña. The women spoke about their personal experiences in the journalism industry and gave advice on how to survive the different aspects that come with the job, like a difficult first day on the air and overly enthusiastic followers on Twitter. Sue Green, the moderator of the event, referred to the evening as “Ladies Night” and looking into the audience to see the First Amendment Forum filled with mostly female journalism students, I would have to agree with that statement. I admired each woman’s grounded personality and willingness to speak uninhibitedly about issues such as women’s role in the journalism world, and sharing the best advice they had ever received. The most popular response regarding challenges women face in the industry was balancing all the roles of being a woman. Lin Sue Cooney joked saying, “I wish I had a wife!” to help her juggle being a wife and a mother after a long day of work. The most unexpected yet useful advice that I took with me that night was from Catherine Anaya, who suggested starting off in a small industry where, “your mistakes are more forgivable”. Everyone’s dream is to make it big but starting small is a great suggestion for accident-prone beginners.

Lily ReynoldsAugust 31, 2011 @ 12:01 am
  71. The second Must See Monday was a great delight. Being a female who would like to pursue a career in broadcast journalism was extremely beneficial to listen to Catherine Anaya of CBS 5, Lin Sue Cooney of 12 News, Carey Pena of KTVK 3, Katie Raml of ABC 15, and Linda Williams of FOX 10. I was extremely excited to attend the Must See Monday since I met Katie Raml last year at the Summer Broadcast Institute. She inspired me last summer to continue to commit to my journalism goals. I enjoyed hearing what each anchor had to say. I know they worked very hard to get where they are today. I intend to work just as hard and achieve the academic goals I have set for myself to get to the career I would love to pursue. These women are the prime example and role models to all female aspiring journalists that women can be successful in today’s society.

Katrina ArroyosAugust 31, 2011 @ 12:36 am
  72. After Professor McGuire’s incredible kick-off to the Must See Monday series last week, I was very excited for this week’s Must See Monday. As I predicted, I failed to be disappointed. Katie Raml, Lin Sue Cooney, Linda Williams, Carey Pena, and Catherine Anaya were all phenomenal! Not only did they prove to be excellent role models to all who are ambitious to join the broadcasting world, but they also provided a new insight as to what it actually is like to be an anchor. Each woman was composed and relatable, charming and funny, sincere and intriguing–each an attribute that is important in being a great anchor. Everything that you are able to see about these women on TV came to life throughout the night! They were as real as can be. The stories that they shared were wonderful. What I will take away from this speaker series the most is the motivation and inspiration that they provided me. It truly was eye-opening, and it lit the fire inside of me to join the broadcast world even more.

Virginia PoulsonAugust 31, 2011 @ 8:43 am
  73. Yesterday, the five anchorwomen of Arizona news were introduced to the journalism students of the Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication. Initially, I kind of wasn’t looking forward to it. My preconception about the Must See Monday was that it was going to turn out to be boring. To my surprise, the meeting was anything but. As I sat in my chair and looked at these five anchorwomen, they all appeared confident. It must be a confidence that took years to build, seeing as every single anchor had worked in the journalism business for over a decade. Linda Williams, the most experienced of the five anchorwomen, has been a journalist for nearly 30 years. Interestingly enough, her advice to the students was this: “Never listen to the haters.” For someone who has worked in the journalism business for many years, Linda Williams sure does give good advice. I completely support a statement like that. Williams must’ve had a lot of hate thrown at her throughout her career. The same goes for all the anchorwomen. The one thing that all the anchors agreed on was the challenge of having to balance career and family. They tied in that challenge to the challenge of trying to set boundaries on a new generation of social media that makes these women more accessible to the public. Being a teenager in the current generation, I completely understand where they’re coming from. Social media is a useful medium that helps anyone stay connected, but it can be overwhelming if certain boundaries aren’t set. As to the pros of social media, the anchors said to we, the students that social media can really boost your career ahead if you use it wisely.

Hunter MarrowAugust 31, 2011 @ 10:47 am
  74. Comparative to the seriousness of the News of the World scandal MSM, the panel of women of Arizona TV news was reminiscent of a roundtable gossip session like The View, in the best way possible. The women offered a humorous, entertaining inside look to the world of broadcast journalism. In a society where feminism has almost become a joke, the term evoking derogatory connotations, the female panel indirectly addressed the issue. When asked if working with men in the business was difficult, the collective reply was an easy no, showing that indeed, a business that is competitive is equally competitive for all. As cliché as the term ‘inspiration’ is, the women of Arizona television news are really just that. A hopeful, yet humorous display of how each woman arrived at where she is today was only a reminder to both male and female, that with hard work, anything is truly possible. Like Linda Williams’ tale of $5.00 per hour editor, to longstanding news anchor, and Carey Peña’s rise to fame by means of a grammatically incorrect inquiry, all the women shared valuable tips and tricks to make it in the business—vital to any student looking to pursue a career, even if not in journalism.

Thuy Lan NguyenAugust 31, 2011 @ 12:47 pm
  75. At this weeks Must See Monday event, the women of Arizona TV news shared their experiences in being in the industry, how they first started out, and the industry today and how it is changing. This had to be one of the most interesting and inspiring lectures that I’ve attended so far during Monday nights. The women, who a few are ASU Alumni shared their stories, including most embarrassing moments that got them to where they are now. The conversations were moderated by Broadcast Director Sue Green, in which one of the first question asked where how is it being in the industry as a women today. Although all the women agreed to say that the hardest thing that they had to ever deal with was just learning how to balance both their professional lives and personal. I found it inspiring to hear that most of them started out at the bottom and worked their way up through more experiences and learning as they go. Catherine Anaya insisted that we should take any opportunity given to us. This will not only advance our skills but also help us get all our mistakes out of the way toward something greater. It was also nice to hear that there are so many more opening opportunities for us aspiring journalist out there, opportunities that didn’t exist in their time. Seeing them excited about the future of journalism and their love for it made me feel even more eager for when I reach the peak of my career.

Monica VainauskasAugust 31, 2011 @ 1:28 pm
  76. This week’s MSM brought five of the most inspiring ladies of Arizona News to the Cronkite School. It was an honor, to say the least, and unforgettable, at best. While I listened to Catheine’s compelling tale of her first on-air experience, I imagined myself telling a room full of aspiring journalists my story someday too. That moment when I knew I wanted to be a broadcast journalist still pulls at my emotions and resides as if it were yesterday rather than eight years ago.

Since I was 10, however, I’ve feared the effects of a journalism career. Catherine Anaya said “there’s a fine line between your personal life and you on-air life,” while Lin Sue Cooney said she struggles balancing her family and job. I’m full-heartedly devoted to becoming a broadcast journalist; but there’s more to life than just having a successful career, and I’m afraid to struggle with this balancing act someday. I have a difficult time keeping my balance now.

These ladies give hope though. They prove it is possible to be a wonderful mother and a successful journalist which is truly inspiring.

The question was asked of them “what is the average income of a journalist right of the gate.” Linda Williams and Carey Pena slyly dodged answering, but I find the question bewildering to begin with. Who cares, I wanted to say! Money doesn’t buy happiness, and we aren’t in the field for the money but for the passion and the overwhelming desire to write and broadcast stories to the public because everyone has a story worthy to be heard. Cooney answered “the later the show you have, the higher your income,” but I find time irrelevant also. Terra, from 3TV’s morning show, has the highest morning show ratings, and I guarantee she earns more annually than some 6 o’clock anchors. Obviously, you earn what you put out, and as journalists, that’s our job title. Put out the news so that people watch and listen, everything beyond that like the money and the fame are replaceable.

When the floor was opened to us, the aspiring journalists, I had the honor to ask the first question of the famous ladies sitting before me, as I considered every question I could ask and every answer I was dying to hear, I chose to ask them of the one thought that hasn’t left my head since I entered Cronkite, “what were they most concerned about after graduation.” Since school has started I haven’t been able to shake the idea that I’m entering one of the most competitive fields and that there’s so much to worry about, so much that I find myself worrying about tomorrow rather than enjoying today, for those Pretty Little Liar fans out there, that should ring a bell.

As I wrote down every word they told me, when Anaya said “I was worrying about failing and entering something I’d never done” I found her words entirely relatable to my own concerns, but then she reminded me at how unimportant a fear like failing is. “If I don’t go out there and do this then I’ll die not knowing if I could, but if I go out there and fail then at least I’ll die knowing I tried, and I could go out there and succeed,” she said. With that, I knew I had asked the perfect question, at least for myself.

In anything we do, there’s the chance that we will fall down and scrape our knees; this is most notably called failing. As journalists, we probably increase this chance, not to mention publically. However, that single moment when we share a story and tell it well, capturing our audience with our words, that’s worth every drop of blood and scrape.

This week’s MSM reminded me of this, and those five wonderful women inspired me with their words just as they have since I was a little girl. Every day I invite them into my living room for storytelling and someday I want a little girl like me to the same for me.

Sierra LoerchAugust 31, 2011 @ 1:35 pm
  77. The second Must See Monday event of the fall semester invited five well-known women to the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University’s downtown Phoenix campus. “Meet the Women of Arizona TV News” seemed a bit formal considering the public trusts and follows them on television, the Internet and other sites like Twitter and Facebook on a daily basis. These are the go-to girls for current updates and breaking news in our communities.

The audience of journalism students, local professionals and professors gathered in the First Amendment Forum to listen to a group interview with news anchors Katie Raml of ABC 15, Lin Sue Cooney from Channel 12 News, Linda Williams of Fox 10, Carey Pena of KTVK 3, and Catherine Anaya from CBS 5. Each anchor told of their path to success and how they dealt with struggles along the way. One common factor was that all of these women were determined to secure a role in the news world. Linda Williams, along with Katie Raml and Carey Pena, graduated from Arizona State University. Linda Williams said, “There was one thing I was going to be when I graduated from ASU and that was a TV reporter.” Catherine Anaya began her career in a small town in Texas, where she worked through her first mistakes as news anchor. From there she earned bigger and better job opportunities and made her way to Phoenix. A question that was on everyone’s mind was the idea of being a woman in such a competitive field. Women had difficulty in news stations in the past, but in today’s world all the guest speakers agreed that being a woman is not the hardest part of the job. Catherine Anaya said, “It’s hard for all of us to make it because everything is constantly changing in this field. It’s challenging for both men and women.” Carey Pena said she believes that being a woman has given her more opportunities. Another struggle was balancing life as professional and having a personal life. Lin Sue Cooney said, “I’m not as good at separating it. I’m always looking at the clock thinking okay now she should be getting to soccer. When I’m at home, I think about what’s going on with people on the east coast and the hurricane.”

All five news anchors have worked in the news industry for at least 10 years. They provided the crowd with advice for perspective journalists. The use of social media by news sources is very important to success in the role of an anchor. Now, news breaks on Twitter and these women have adapted and made it work for them. With Twitter and Facebook, sources are immersed in the news. Carey Pena said, “The day Gabrielle Giffords was shot, I was at home doing the mom thing, but I was also retweeting about the shooting. I became a trending topic from my living room just because I was sending that information out there.” Social media also allows for different news stations to work together instead of competing. Katie Raml said she likes being able to connect with her readers with social media. One viewer said he loves not having to fight to get information from different stations. The guest speakers ended the evening by taking questions from the crowd.
    The event was very beneficial to students at the Cronkite School and the anchors seemed to enjoy reliving their journeys from college to the newsroom.

Lauren FachAugust 31, 2011 @ 1:43 pm
  78. Despite the fact that my passion lies with writing and print journalism, I found the women of Arizona TV news to be very influential and inspiring. I didn’t expect to get much out of this Must See Monday, but what I did receive was great advice, motivation, and an even stronger desire to work hard and pursue journalism. Journalism may be a competitive field that is hard to break in to, but these women proved that it’s well worth the trials you will go through to achieve your dream.

As I was leaving the First Amendment Forum, I realized that I had learned something from every woman on that stage. From Katie Raml, I learned that if you are truly passionate about your work, journalism will give you a greater sense of hope. I also learned that, in journalism, when you are working with other people, you should never take credit for the low points or the high points. You just need to work as hard as you possibly can and people will acknowledge your work. In the journalism field, she said, it’s best to stay humble.

Lin Sue Cooney was a great speaker and is a great journalist. She relayed that, in the world of journalism, there will be a lot of people that want to see you fail, but you just have to push through that, and in the end, it’s all worth it because “You’ll meet incredible people, [and] you’ll tell inspiring stories that will change lives.” That, right there, is my reason for going in to journalism. My goal in life is to inspire, and one day I want to be a person that does change lives and that others look up to. I believe that is what great journalism is – being able to inspire others by your words. Cooney also mentioned that you need to have an open mind in journalism, you have to be able to be objective and see all the sides of the story, not just your own.

Besides Lin Sue Cooney, I identified the most with Linda Williams. I think she was unlike anyone else on that stage, and she said something that resonated with me more than anything has in a while. She said that she was originally a print journalist, and that she had always loved to write, but if you find something that sings to you, don’t be afraid to follow it. Your career won’t always turn out how you think it might, so you have to just follow your heart and go where it takes you. I think that’s brilliant, and true. She also spoke of how journalism is a very cutthroat world. People will try to knock you down, and sometimes they’ll succeed, but you can’t take anything personally. You just have to pick yourself up and move on, stronger than ever. Williams was extremely inspiring, and definitely a role model for me now.

Carey Peña and Catherine Anaya taught me that it’s okay to make mistakes in the professional field, and that when you are just starting out no one expects you to be perfect. “People are more forgiving than we expect them to be,” Peña stated. Anaya added that you just have to learn from those mistakes and be careful never to make the same ones. She also said “You will hear people tell you that this business will make you jaded and cynical, but it’s made me the exact opposite. It’s made me a better person.” I believe that good journalists are better people because of their writing and experiences, and I hope to be the same way someday soon. All of these women were beyond brilliant, and it was an honor to hear them speak. I will take their words with me throughout my career.

Jasmine BartaAugust 31, 2011 @ 2:00 pm
  79. After seeing the women of Arizona news on TV for years, I was extremely excited to get the opportunity to hear all of them speak at Must See Monday. Having women from five different stations on the panel was interesting because they all got along so well, and each had their own, unique stories and experiences to share. They discussed how it can sometimes be difficult to balance being a successful journalist and being supportive to their family. I was relieved to hear that although the industry can be very competitive, it doesn’t have to be cutthroat. Each of the women shared their experiences with their first stories, which I really enjoyed. Their stories made me realize that even the best in the industry started off making mistakes, but with time and practice, all of them have become successful. In addition, they each shared the best advice they have received, which was inspiring to hear. All of the women were so honest and shared many great stories and pieces of advice, and this Must See Monday was a wonderful experience!

Meiti PrangAugust 31, 2011 @ 2:19 pm
  80. This weeks Must See Monday was, and probably will remain, one of my favorite. I really find it inspiring to listen to the five most respected Arizona News Women, who at one point were in my shoes, talk about their accomplishments in an industry I deeply aspire to be apart of.
    Topics covered in this event ranged from the burdens of being a woman in the industry to viewpoints on the advancements of media. When asked; Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Peña, Katie Raml, and Linda Williams unanimously agreed that being a woman in this industry is equally competitive as being a male. Carey Peña even believes that there are more opportunities for women today to become apart of television broadcast than ever. And although Lin Sue Cooney agrees that it’s fairly equal for men and woman, she says balancing a career in TV and a personal life “is another story,” a statement which every one of the women admitted was difficult. Many of them feel that you must always be 100% focused while at work and worry about family when home. Though adversely Ms. Cooney says she is constantly worrying about both at the same time.
    One of the main ideas addressed Monday evening was how the women felt regarding the colossal network in social media, and if they had chosen an alternate career would they be as engaged in it. KTVK 3’s Carey Peña considers networking a chance for more people to have access to you and a great way to become noticed. Catherine Anaya suspects, having not gone into broadcast, she would be more actively involved in the social media due to the fact she has to be “so censored” since being so recognizable. However, she enjoys the vast diversity that networks such as Facebook and Twitter bring, for everyones perspective is different.
    Lastly, the five were inquired their thoughts on what they considered “news.” Channel 12 news’ Lin Cooney defines it as an assortment of what you want to know and what you need to know along with ASU alumni Linda Williams who literally translated it as “what is new.”
    Furthermore, to close the night one final request amongst the woman was to give their own advise to striving journalists. Catherine Anaya, CBS 5, stressed for us to start out in a small news market where we could get all of our mistakes out of the way before moving to a larger network. And to conclude Carey Peña strongly urged to “Never over think a question you ask someone,” considering any piece of information gathered can be potentially useful.

Jordyn ByersAugust 31, 2011 @ 2:34 pm
  81. The second Must See Monday on August 29 consisted of the Women of Arizona TV News. Catherine Anaya of CBS Channel 5, Lin Sue Cooney of Channel 12 news, Carey Pena of KTVK, Katie Rami of Channel 15, and Linda Williams of Fox Channel 10 were all in attendance. The first question asked was if they think it is difficult at all to be a female in the journalism world. They all agreed that it does not affect them in the business aspect, however it is very difficult to balance being a wife, mother, and journalist. It is very hard to not mix your personal life and your job as a woman. However, in the newsroom, there are no boundaries being a female. They also said the older and more mature they get, the better they get and can make the balancing look almost effortless. They also all discussed how social media can majorly improve a career.
    When asked what noes is, the main answer was “a mix of what you want to know what you need to know”. They also discussed how diversity is so important in the newsroom because what is important to some people might not be important to someone else.
    Something they talked about that I found very interesting was that journalism is a big family because everyone cares. They said it is easy to think that it is a cutthroat business, but although it is hard, they have all worked with wonderful people who want to help.
    Another lesson I felt very useful was the fact your boss never wants an excuse in journalism. No matter what the circumstance, they do not care. They just want to know you will do it right the next time.
    They ended with the fact that although the boring stories are not the funnest, they lead you to extremely exciting, powerful stories. Journalism has the ability to touch lives.

Rachel LeasureAugust 31, 2011 @ 2:38 pm
  82. Monday night’s event turned out to be much more engaging than I had originally expected. The five women, Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Pena, Katie Raml, and Linda Williams all spent the hour sharing opinions and relatable stories of their experience in the industry.

I noticed a few things from hearing the women interact, and from what they had to say. The first was that, just from the demographics among the women present, Arizona news stations seem to pull a lot of work from California and Texas. This fact interests me because I am in touch with several people in the news industry in Texas, my home state, and am happy to find that the two regions are somewhat intertwined. I also noticed that they hardly disagreed on anything. They were very humble when asked if the news industry is difficult to be a part of as a woman. When asked this Cooney mentioned, “I think what’s hard for women is balancing a career in television and a personal life”.

Every single one of the women also strongly stressed the importance that social media has, and will play in the future of news. News is always going on now with the creation of social networking platforms such as Twitter and Facebook, and because of this the women are expected to cover current topics 24/7. Throughout the discussion several of the women were even either holding smart phones or had them on the seat next to them, taking pictures and keeping posted on their social networking sites as we watched.

The most impactful thing I took away from the talk was the emphasis placed upon the social media. In itself social media is a generally informal medium of communication. For some one like news anchor to use it takes them a step further from being on the television in the living room with your family. Now they are on your computer, and your phone directly interacting with you and giving feedback, almost instantaneously.

Dominick DiFurioAugust 31, 2011 @ 2:53 pm
  83. This Monday’s Must See Monday was riveting, to say the least. Meeting all of the women of Phoenix’s news channels was not only enlightening, but also inspirational. All of their stories and experiences in the real world of broadcast journalism reminded me what all of my hard work is going toward.
    One aspect of the discussion I found to be extremely intriguing was when the women were asked, “what is news?” Linda Williams responded simply with, “anything new” while Lin Sue Cooney explained it’s a mixture of what you want to know and what you need to know. What I found most interesting about these answers where how much they differed from the dictionary definition that Dean Callahan gave us in lecture previously.
    Overall, this Must See Monday was inspiring. Having three of the five women be ASU alum reiterates that I am at the right school.

Kelsey LinnAugust 31, 2011 @ 3:29 pm
  84. The moment I heard that I would be meeting the women of Arizona news sent shivers of excitement through my whole body. These are the women I have grown up watching. These are the women I trust to inform me on what is going on outside the walls of my home. When I saw Lin Sue Cooney sitting only feet away from me, I knew I wanted to go into journalism. The night started off with a meet and great of all the ladies; just a mini introduction of who they are and what they do. Who knew that Lin Sue and Linda were such comedians!? One of my favorite quotes of the night was straight from Lin Sue as she spoke about working with other women. She laughed with Linda Williams and said “…we all started having our menstrual cycles together!”

It was so refreshing to see these women, as businesslike as they were, to be able to sit amongst us students and just be real individuals. Sure they may have tried speaking a little more professional than they do at home, but they were not afraid to share their stories. The whole night really enforced the idea in my head that I’m not crazy for wanting to go into this business. I may be a girl who has hopes and dreams but those ideals are not impossible to achieve. The golden advice I received from these empowering women, I will keep throughout my college career and even further. This was absolutely one of the best nights here at Walter Cronkite.

Amelia GoeAugust 31, 2011 @ 3:35 pm
  85. This week’s Must See Monday was definitely worth it. The women on the panel were so genuine and had some of the best advice to give that I have heard in a long time. I was glad to hear the women start with the fact that they felt it was no harder for a woman than a man in this industry. It was also nice to know that 3 of the 5 women were ASU alumni which really showed what this school can do for your career. I also loved how much all of the women embraced the aspect of social media websites becoming a part of their job and how they put the news out there. They were able to show what a positive thing social media can be and how it can really make you a better news reporter. I very much enjoyed the time the women spent talking about balancing work with their personal lives as well as the fine line of fans and fans who think they are close friends with you. It was very entertaining and relatable since I am a woman as well. When the women told their first story of reporting, my favorite was Lin Sue Cooney’s when she talked about the fact that sometimes you are going to cover the boring news and you just have to do it but it will pay off when you get to do the amazing stories. When it comes to the advice that each of them gave they all had great things to say that I will keep in mind, but I really did like Katie Raml’s when she said, “Don’t take credit for the high points so that you don’t have to take credit for the low points.” Finally, to close off the night, the host shared a quote which read, “Take your work seriously, but don’t take yourself seriously,” which I felt was a great way to end the night. I am from California so I have never watched any of these ladies’ news reports, but after last night, I will definitely be tuning in soon.

Casey FerreiraeAugust 31, 2011 @ 3:42 pm
  86. I found out a very unfortunate thing for men the other night: It’s no harder being a woman than a man in the media industry. What was good about the night was that not all of the advice was for women. They spoke of balancing different aspects of life which is something that everybody has to do on a regular basis. They told us how to focus on keeping work away from family and friends as well as not allowing social media to take too big of a part in your life. They spoke about how tough it is now with media access 24/7 because their job now entails them to keep up with news while at home via twitter and facebook, which may take time away from loved ones. Another key point was that you can learn from anything. These women learned from their first day on the sob; so from now on I will keep my eyes and ears open to anything and everything that can help me. “Girls night” was very beneficial!

Joshua FronsAugust 31, 2011 @ 3:43 pm
  87. The women of Arizona news visited ASU today to talk about their start and different experiences they’ve had in broadcasting and journalism. The focus was revolving around the change in journalism and how it is moving into a digital era. Anchorwomen Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Peña, Katie Raml, and Linda Williams talked answered different questions and discussed different hard ships, life changing experiences, and just good memories they had in journalism. One of the questions they were asked was if it was hard for women to thrive in journalism. Peña said, “if anything, there are more opportunities” for women. I think this is true because even though there is still discrimination, it has demented buy a great amount because of the mix of cultures over the past decade. The also discussed how technology is changing especial for journalism. These days, you can get the news instantly from your smart phone or laptop. People use Twitter and Facebook and other web sources to update news right when it happens and for many, it is much more convenient. The anchorwomen agreed that the sources of headlines don’t matter. News is new and alive and whether it’s from TV, the newspaper, or the internet, you get not what you want to know, but what you need to know.

James SandovalAugust 31, 2011 @ 4:01 pm
  88. In the midst of some of Arizona’s most inspiring anchor women sat hundreds of eager aspiring journalists-to-be. The first moment of excitement was seeing the names of the speakers on the screen: Catherina Anya from CBS 5, Lin Sue Cooney from 12 News, Carey Pena from KTVK 3, Katie Raml from ABC 15, and Linda Williams from Fox 10. Moments after that were filled with the anticipation. The aura that emanated from the stage was powerful. I found it interesting that all speakers unanimously agreed that it is no harder from a woman than a man to make it in the broadcasting business. Societal and business trends have always left me under the impression that the pressure would be greater for women in any leadership position. It was relieving to hear that I have just as much of a chance as the man sitting next to me to succeed in this industry. In today’s progressing society, there are more opportunities for woman in most career fields. The biggest hardship for these women was balance, but I feel as though this is a problem that applies to everyone. Even as college students, balancing school, work, family and friends becomes difficult. At least by the team us aspiring journalists get to the point of anchoring or reporting, we will have some of the experience in balance. These women never failed to captivate the audience with hilarious stories of their journey. Their advice was much appreciated. They also empowered me in my own dreams and aspirations to be an anchorwoman. The overall experience was enthralling and beneficial.

Lynnie NguyenAugust 31, 2011 @ 4:01 pm
  89. This past Must See Monday’s included a panel of intelligent and experienced women including Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Pena, Katie Raml and Linda Williams, who anchor the news from several different stations around Arizona. Although it turned into what seemed a casual conversation among the women, they gave great insight to a day in the life of a woman working in todays media world. It was a relief to hear that there does not seem to be any prejudice against women, although it proves to be difficult to balance work and home life. I thought it was interesting when one of them commented on how our generation needed to learn how to manage with growing up as social media continues to expand, which I completely agree with. In a generation where Facebook seems to dominate our lives, it does become difficult to take away our personal associations with the social media and replace it with news or a more professional tone. Overall I thought the women of Arizona had great advice that I am sure to use in my future career.

Stephanie AvalosAugust 31, 2011 @ 4:03 pm
  90. Attending the Must See Monday with the newswomen of Arizona was a very encouraging and inspiring experience for me. Catherine Anaya of CBS 5, Lin Sue Cooney of NBC 12, Carey Pena of KTVK 3, Katie Raml of ABC 15 and Linda Williams of Fox 10, were featured as a panel there to answer questions and as a future female journalist, it was very exciting. The ladies addressed everything from succeeding as a woman in journalism to balancing family and career to all of the new innovations in social media and how that is changing the news world as we know it.
    One of the first things that really stuck with me was when Carey Pena said that now, “News never stops.” Pena of all the women, especially focused on social media such as Twitter and how useful it is to reporters. She stressed how because of Facebook, Twitter and other social media sites, you are always involved in the news and always connected to everything. Pena said how she is always on Twitter and constantly corresponding with people. Some of the other women, like Raml on the other hand, said that she is only involved in social media during business hours.
    The ladies then stressed how social media changes people’s access to you as a reporter. They all addressed how they will get randomly “propositioned” on the streets by people- men in particular- who feel like they know the women simply because they have followed them on Twitter. It also opens you up to much more criticism and as Linda Williams pointed out, you “can’t take it personally.” Most importantly of all they stressed to “be careful what you post” because it can, and will come back to you.
    The ladies then told stories of each of the first stories that they reported on. The majority of them had stories about how everything had gone horribly wrong right away which was encouraging more than anything. Anaya told a story of saying the “S-word” on live television while Pena told students how she found a ‘missing’ Patrick Swayze and asked him “Hey Patrick, where ya been?” and wound up getting a national exclusive.
    Finally ladies began discussing how they got into the journalism field and advice for journalism students. I believe Williams said it best when she told students to find what you love and follow it. Pena also told everyone, relating back to her story, to never “over-think a question you’re going to ask someone” because you never know what kind of answer you’ll get. Overall, I believe this experience was very valuable and gave the students an excellent glimpse into the real-world of reporting.

Kristin CouturierAugust 31, 2011 @ 4:34 pm
  91. I very much enjoyed the Must-See Monday event, “The Women of Arizona News.” I have grown up watching many of these ladies, so to hear them in person was a real treat. I thought it was interesting to hear each of their philosophies of twitter and facebook. Some, like Carey Pena, constantly use both of them to always be on the alert for a new story, and some, like Katie Raml, “try to keep private and business life separate.” However, they all agreed that social networking devices were very important to connect to news. I also like how they talked about the huge sense of community in television news, how in Arizona at least, everyone cares about each other and that you can meet so many great people. Lin Sue Cooney also said that as a person in television news you “have a lot of power to do good in the world,” and that you can touch someone’s life and make a difference, which is what I want to do as a journalist. So as a whole, I very much enjoyed this Must-See Monday and hearing the advice of these great women in Arizona News.

Sarah DinellAugust 31, 2011 @ 4:53 pm
  92. This week’s Must See Monday challenged the regular lecture spiel and boldly dared to take a ride on the wild side by embracing a very talk show-like atmosphere. The event welcomed five of Arizona’s top female anchors, channel 5’s Catherine Anaya, 12’s Lin Sue Cooney, 3’s Carey Pena, 15’s Katie Raml, and 10’s Linda Williams. Each woman brought her own unique story and perspective to the nights festivities and the audience seemed to be quit enticed by the lighthearted yet compelling aroma the hall was immersed in. I myself even felt lost in the truthfulness and sincerity of each well delivered response (clearly their voices were meant to be televised).

The night progressed with questions stemming from previous answers, the anchor’s comfort with each other allowing us as invested and interested audience members to want to hear more about their journeys. However, what really gripped me was not the wittiness they exuded or the intensity of their first big news brakes, although the one from Carey about Patrick Swayze was comical and the one about the tripod was something I could definitely see myself doing, even the shower part, but what really struck me was one of the last comments to be made, “You have to be a real person. Television is very transparent and if you’re not in it for the right reasons your career will be cut short.” This almost caught me off guard and I barley heard it as I, along with other hasty exciters, began collecting our belongings. Despite all of the tremendous, insightful tid-bits shared that night, I feel this could be one of the single most important lines of the evening; one many of us young journalists pass over as we begin climbing the broadcast ladder. This message seemed to combine much of what was talked about by all of the ladies. Earlier they discussed how they learned to contain their emotions in rough situations, but also how they do not come across as robots. They spoke of compassion towards a piece and compassion towards those the piece is on and how it is an important part of being a reporter and a person. Compassion makes one relatable, truthful and open. This, along with other words of guidance, seems to be what this one statement covers. It means that a journalist can not go climbing over others to get ahead and that they can not skip out on what seems like minor pieces of news because every story is speaking to or of a person, a person or people that need and want to be heard. It means that shallow people do not create in depth reporters and the sooner these types of “journalists” take the time to think about why they went into broadcast and what it means to report the news to an entire community the sooner they can begin actually helping said community.

In society today many people will often take desperate measures to put themselves on TV, but in the end are these the people we as the community want to watch? Or do we want to see an individual who loves waking up knowing they are making a difference in our culture by simply showing the world how we can all do the same? Do we want to watch someone who is good at faking sincerity or someone who truly seeps compassion and dignity? Do we want to be journalists with the integrity and decency we learn in JMC 101 or do we want to be just another hot-shot face who comes and goes, unremembered and unmoving?

It was another great MSM, the females surely impacted the individuals of Crokite with messages myself and others won’t soon forget.

Jessie WardarskiAugust 31, 2011 @ 5:28 pm
  93. As an aspiring female journalist, I found this week’s “Must See Monday” to be particularly interesting. In a casual setting we were able to discuss real life obstacles and realities of the field experienced by Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Peña, Katie Raml and Linda Williams. It was refreshing to see these successful women sit down and talk to us on our level, encouraging us to give this career our all, that it isn’t as cut-throat and harsh an environment as it is made out to be. As someone who strives to make a positive influence on people in my day-to-day life, it was reassuring to hear from Katie Raml that being a journalist gives her a greater sense of hope; it shows her that despite all the bad, there really is good still out there. What has worried me about this field is all the harsh criticism that the audience so easily tosses around, for which Lin Sue gave some stellar advice, “Take the high road. You can’t do anything about how other people treat you. You can do everything about how you treat them.”

Jacquelyn MellingAugust 31, 2011 @ 5:31 pm
  94. Even so, these five women seemed to perform the balancing act well. And they knew a few secrets to success, for example, “Take your work seriously, but don’t take yourself seriously.” This quote resonated with me. We all get pulled under the current of pride at some point, so it’s important to stay afloat by doing an ego check now and again. Katie Raml put it very well when she said, “Don’t take credit for the high points, and you won’t have to take the blame for the low ones.” They also pointed out how transparent the T.V. is; you can’t hide flaws. So a good approach that these women have taken is to be real on T.V. – wow, actual reality on television, not the fake stuff. What a novel idea!

Annika ClineAugust 31, 2011 @ 5:40 pm
  95. It was ladies night in the Cronkite First Amendment Forum on Monday night. TV personalities can be quite an imposing presence at first, but these women hold many titles and can relate to their audience in those ways. As mothers, wives, and career-oriented people, they seem to have a lot on their plate. I feel a husband and father on that stage would not have stressed his multiple roles quite as much. That may say something about our culture – even though the five women did not feel it was harder to survive in the industry as a woman, there still seems to be more pressure on women to fulfill multiple roles.
    Even so, these five women seemed to perform the balancing act well. And they knew a few secrets to success, for example, “Take your work seriously, but don’t take yourself seriously.” This quote resonated with me. We all get pulled under the current of pride at some point, so it’s important to stay afloat by doing an ego check now and again. Katie Raml put it very well when she said, “Don’t take credit for the high points, and you won’t have to take the blame for the low ones.” They also pointed out how transparent the T.V. is; you can’t hide flaws. So a good approach that these women have taken is to be real on T.V. – wow, actual reality on television, not the fake stuff. What a novel idea!

Annika ClineAugust 31, 2011 @ 5:41 pm
  96. This week’s Must See Monday was particularly enjoyable for me. My parents are divorced and I’ve always lived with my mother, so I have grown up with a very strong female role model. It is so inspirational to me to see such strong personalities in these women, and to see how respected they are in their career field. I was very happy when all five anchorwomen agreed that it is not hard to work with men in the industry. I loved the stories of all their first assignments on set, especially Catherine Anaya’s! All the women seemed so easy to relate to, and made me much more confident about my plunge into the world of journalism.

Aurora SturlinAugust 31, 2011 @ 5:48 pm
  97. On Monday, August 29, 2011, the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication hosted a question and answer session with a panel made of five of Phoenix’s top female news anchors. The panel was unofficially dubbed “Ladies Night.” Catherine Anaya of CBS 5, Lin Sue Cooney of NBC 12 News, Carey Pena of KTVK 3, Katie Raml of ABC 15, and Linda Williams of FOX 10 shared their views to many aspiring journalists attending Arizona State University. They discussed an array of topics including the evolution of the journalism field, what they believe news is, and social media. It is interesting to know that all of their views on the world have changed because of their involvement in journalism. Carey Pena’s world view has altered as she has realized how many interesting people there are in on this planet. A few of the women found it difficult to separate work and family when not on the job because of social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook. The women also gave a plethora of advice to the students including one that should resonate most with them. Catherine Anaya instructed the young hopefuls to “be careful what you post [on the internet] because it could come back to bite you.” The panel really was very insightful for the students who are currently studying to one day follow in their footsteps.

Alexandra GaskinAugust 31, 2011 @ 5:49 pm
  98. The women of Arizona News are very intriguing and inspiring. All these women come from different ethnicities, backgrounds, and walks of life, yet all share a common love of journalism. They are all very kind and sincere to eachother. They all have their positives and their negatives, but they make an awesome team put together. The speaker had asked the women various questions about being a woman in the workforce and if it was harder for them. Surprisingly, these women all said that it was not harder at all, the only hard part about it was finding the balance betweeen home and career life. Carey Pena, KTVK Channel 3, even went so far to say that it was “easier” for women rather than men in this career. All the women were very similar with their ideas and ideals. Their first news stories were also very entertaining for the lot of us. Ms. Katie Raml, ABC Channel 15, had said that her tripod did not work properly and was therefore forced to report without one, also she had a big black circle on her face from melting plastic on the camera lens. She noted that we should always make the best of the situation no matter what comes our way. On another note, Lin Sue Cooney’s, Channel 12 News, first news story was quite the bore as it was about a slow city council meeting. She said that you will have a lot of boring stories, but you will also have some very interesting, exciting, and influencial news stories as well that will touch you. They then gave advice to all the audience who wanted to succeed in broadcast journalism, or anything for a matter of fact. The advice came from all different aspects, such as with Ms. Linda Williams, Fox Channel 10, telling us that “you cannot afford to take it personally,” when people mention or comment about your looks, or reporting skills. Ms. Catherine Anaya, CBS Channel 5, said “you’re not supposed to let them see you sweat,” so when a situation gets bad, just roll with it, and don’t be worried about failing, everyone makes mistakes and you have to get them out of the way sometime or another. Overall, it was a very moving and inspiring presentation and I hope to see those wonderful women again sometime soon.

Olivia AlonsoAugust 31, 2011 @ 5:58 pm
  99. This week’s Must See Monday was especially interesting to me when I first saw it on the schedule, however I’m sorry to say that it didn’t live up to my expectations. While these women had some great stories and advice to share, I believe too much time was spent focusing on their “motherhood” or their “home life,” which came off as a little sexist. One of the first questions was something along the lines of, “Is it hard to survive in this industry if you’re a woman?” I found this question, or at least the wording of it, to be slightly offensive. Society has come so far in terms of equality between the sexes that I think we should be beyond questions such as these. Maybe she could have asked how it is different for a woman in the journalism world, but I don’t see why it should be any harder.

On a lighter note, I found that what the ladies learned from their first stories are great things to keep in mind, for example Linda Williams mentioned that she had originally wanted to be a writer, but she ended up working in all fields of journalism. What the industry has taught her is that there is so much for you to do, and so many different opportunities that there is always a place for you to fit in. I also thought that the question about the best advice the women had received was really encouraging. I especially liked Katie Ralm’s advice; she mentioned that if you don’t take credit for the high points, you won’t have to take credit for the low points. This really hit home for me because I’ve always thought that, especially in broadcast journalism, one person usually gets more glory than the rest when it really is a group effort to produce a successful news program. Overall, it was very interesting listening to these successful women talk about how they’ve achieved the same goal I hope to one day fulfill.

Alexandria ConradAugust 31, 2011 @ 6:08 pm
  100. Going into this Must See Monday I was kind of hesitant to how interesting this discussion would actually be. To my surprise this discussion proved to be important to me, even though I am not considering broadcast. Since I am a female looking to enter into this business, questions like “Is it more difficult in this field because you are a woman?”, and “What is it like to balance work and home life?” proved to be very interesting to listen to. Most of the woman, thankfully, said that they do not feel like this business is harder for women at all. When asked about balancing work and play Catherine Anaya stated, “This field is changing for everyone but it is a little harder for women because they have to find that balance between motherhood and being a professional.” While most of the discussion was dominated by questions that singularly applied to women questions like, “Has social media been easy to adjust to?” applied to everyone in the audience. Many of the women, excluding Linda Williams who has been in the business for 30 years, said that the change in social media has been easy. The only issue that they see with social media is that they are now available to the public at all hours and that communication with viewers has become more personal and, sometimes, too personal. I would have to agree with the statement that being available to public at all times is stressful and allows no time for separation of work and home life. Also, the close connections to viewers can prove to be creepy at times. Despite all of this Lin Sue Cooney left us with this timeless quote regarding journalism: “You have a lot of power to do a lot of good.”

Nicole SchwabAugust 31, 2011 @ 6:14 pm
  101. Receiving the opportunity to meet the person behind the news desk is a rare one. I was thankful to be given the chance to listen to five anchors discuss their jobs and daily lives as broadcast journalists. I was glad to hear that men and women receive equal treatment in the workforce, but was also surprised that the question was even brought up. Perhaps the treatment of gender and occupation differs in some areas, but coming from the Bay Area sexism is generally unheard of.
    It was pleasing to see that all of the anchors at the discussion (Catherine, Lin, Carey, Katie, and Linda) were genuinely passionate about their jobs, and involved with their communities. I found it interesting how their views on social networking varied. While some of them were strong advocates that reporters constantly be involved with their audience, others argued a need for personal life once the newsroom closed down for the day.
    Although I did not mean to be intrusive, salary of a broadcast journalist is something I have always been very interested in, thus I asked the women what the salary of an anchor might be starting out, versus ten years later. I was shocked when they told me they made 10 to 22 thousand coming out of college, and it worries me that journalism might not be a financially viable job for someone looking to some day make in the area of one hundred thousand per year.
    I will have to do further research into the matter so that I can evaluate my future as a prospective journalist.

John Della BonaAugust 31, 2011 @ 6:15 pm
  102. This highly anticipated “Must-See Monday” turned out to be even better than what I expected. Although I never thought that these marvelous anchorwomen would act pompous while being interviewed, I certainly thought that they would act differently from your average mother or aunt! The fact that they were so down-to-earth made it fun to listen to them talk about their experiences in the journalism industry. It was simply inspirational to see a panel of successful women from all different types of ethnicities, sitting and laughing together as if they were best of friends! It is a relief to know that in most places, society is slowing breaking down the barriers of discrimination among races.
    Besides being successful anchorwomen, these wonderful ladies manage juggling social lives, families, and even their own businesses!! They changed my whole outlook about the life of an anchorwoman. They even changed my whole idea of thinking LA is the “place to be” after I receive my degree. More importantly it made me think that an average person (such as I!) can make it to the top as long as we work harder than ever, believe in ourselves, and stay true to who we are.

Daisy PradoAugust 31, 2011 @ 6:25 pm
  103. Like many of the other female journalism students I found this panel to be very inspiring since they all have successful careers as female broadcast journalists and really seem to enjoy what they do. I also found their comments comforting because they cleared up a lot of issues I was worried about.
    It often seems that even though it is the 21st century women still lack respect and success in the workforce so it was extremely comforting to hear that not only was it not a struggle for them to get work and move up in the industry but they have all had positive experiences with their co-workers and co-hosts both male and female.
    Also something I hadn’t heard, though am not surprised to learn, is how difficult it is to keep their private and professional lives separate, especially with all the new social networks such as Twitter and Facebook, but the positive uses of social networks outweigh the negatives.

Julianne DeFilippisAugust 31, 2011 @ 6:26 pm
  104. This week’s Must See Monday was interesting, definitely. But as someone who didn’t grow up in Arizona, and who has no interest in going into TV news, I was significantly less enthusiastic about listening to the Women of Arizona TV News than most.
    However, as I sat and listened to their stories and experiences, what struck me the most was that practically none of them went into the field of Journalism with the desire to be an anchorwoman. Most of them said that they loved to write, which is the same reason that I decided to be a journalist. It made me realize just how large and diverse the journalism industry really is, how many different opportunities it presents, and how important it is to learn a variety of different skills.
    To be a good journalist, one must be skilled at writing, speaking, presenting, and using a vast amount of complex technological equipment. This realization made me so glad that a program like the Walter Cronkite School exists, where I can immerse myself in all the different kinds of media, and emerge as a well-rounded, very well-educated, and extremely well-qualified journalist.
    And I have the women of Arizona TV News to thank for that.

Marlena SaucedaAugust 31, 2011 @ 6:35 pm
  105. To be honest, before tonight’s Must See Monday event, featuring the women of Arizona broadcasting, I under appreciated the skill and effort it takes to be in broadcast journalism. I had, at best, a hazy comprehension of what it means to work in that field. Because writing is my passion, and the reason I chose to study journalism, I gravitated towards print journalism while subconsciously writing off television broadcasting. As I found out Monday night, this was a dreadful oversight. Most of these women had originally planned to go into print journalism, but were unexpectedly drawn to broadcast reporting. It was interesting and encouraging to hear how they each came to that decision. They shared their triumphs and laughed at their mistakes, assuring us that it is perfectly normal to be a little lost at times. While I do not intend to switch my focus from print to broadcast journalism any time soon, Monday night was informative and encouraging, and I now have a healthy respect and understanding of broadcast journalism.

Tess HomanAugust 31, 2011 @ 6:53 pm
  106. After attending the Meet the Women of AZ News forum, I was able to gain a deeper understanding of what it takes to be an anchorwoman in this day and age. Before hearing what they had to say, I had the idea that most broadcasters did not write their own scripts and instead just read off what was on the teleprompter. Hearing from Catherine Anaya that she not only had to write her own scripts and find the stories, but she also had to run the prompter and broadcast at the same time provided me with a greater respect for broadcasters and what they have to do. Along with this, I found it very interesting that most of the women on the panel wanted to be a print journalist before considering a career in broadcasting. The lessons that they provided during the forum made me realize that while I want to be a print journalist now, it’s okay to change my mind later on as various opportunities become available.

Alyssa LeeAugust 31, 2011 @ 7:13 pm
  107. The latest Must See Monday was really inspiring. As a broadcast student who is just starting out, I naturally had some worries about my decision to pursue journalism. When the lovely ladies of Arizona spoke that night, many of my worries went away. The questions that Sue Green asked were very similar to the ones I had. Each journalist brought their own special story of how they started out in this field, and how they have continued to preserve till today. This was not just a how-to-be-successful lecture on steps that must be taken to get to the top, it was much more than that.Their personality and sense of humor were clear as they revealed their most embarrassing moments, mistakes, and unbelievable situations. The night closed with their advice. Take your work seriously, but not yourself” was one advice that definitely stood out to me. My first semester has barely started and I am already stressing out about school, taking the most credits allowed, signing up for every club, and trying my best to network. While all these are important and should be taken seriously, I learned that sometimes I don’t have to take myself to seriously.

Yihyun JeongAugust 31, 2011 @ 7:17 pm
  108. When I first found out a couple weeks ago that the Must See Monday guests for this week would be the women anchors for all of the major news stations in Arizona, I knew for sure that I would be attending this event. The five women, Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Pena, Katie Raml, and Linda Williams, are my idols. They are in the place I want to be after I graduate from Cronkite. One thing I am really nervous about is screwing up on television in front of millions of people, so one story that really calmed my nerves and showed me that nobody is perfect is Catherine Anaya’s story about her first story. Anaya said that she was her own producer, own writer; she ran her own prompter and everything. Anaya also said she would turn the prompter and follow her hard script in front of her, and when she messed up both, she yelled a curse word on live television. After the fact, her boss said it could happen to anyone, and that lifted a large weight off of my shoulders. I, personally, have messed up in front of my whole school, but that isn’t a lot of people. Lesson is: everyone messes up, whether it is in front of a few hundred or a few million.

Jordan YoungAugust 31, 2011 @ 7:50 pm
  109. I really enjoyed the Must See Monday with the different anchor woman from Arizona TV news. Since I didn’t grow up in Arizona, I’m not familiar with their faces, but I still found this angle of news interesting, especially as a woman entering the field of journalism.
    I was pleasantly surprised to hear all of the women agree that they do not find it more difficult to be successful as women. I think that shows a huge step forward in our society.
    I was interested in the common problem the women shared about trying to balance motherhood and work. Some separate work from home life while others intertwine the two. To me it sounds like something you have to wait and see what works best for you, so that you are able to be the best you can be at both, but it sounds stressful.
    I also enjoyed hearing about how the anchors use social media, especially because it is something that is talked about so often, but I haven’t had a very good idea how it can be used in a professional way. I think our generation will have a little more difficult of a time using social media in a professional way, because we have grown up using it as a place for friends, where the anchors were able to start using facebook in a strictly professional way from the beginning.
    I think the anchors brought light onto many different aspects of journalism, including being a woman in the business, social media and broadcast journalism in general.

Jessie ZookAugust 31, 2011 @ 7:55 pm
  110. When you see women sprinkled throughout the sea of broadcast journalists, what would you think? Yes, this particular profession had been male- driven. However, times have changed. The scale has balanced. These women have not only put their foot in the door but stand in that room tall. To name a few: Catherine Anaya (CBS5), Lin Sue Cooney (12 News), Carey Pena (KTVK3), Katie Raml (ABC 15) and Linda Williams (FOX 10).
    Some might see a broadcaster as a broadcaster, one who recites the news from a teleprompter then hangs up for the day. On the contrary, not only do broadcasters report around the clock, they have other obligations on top of their job. This is where women get major kudos.
    “Not at all. It’s not difficult to survive as a woman (in broadcasting). Those days have hopefully passed. What is a challenge though is also being a wife and a mother,” said Katie Raml.
    Following Raml’s statement was a series of stories including phone calls from their children seconds before being on the air. Even off the air, their personal lives conflict to a degree.
    “It’s tough to have that interaction when it gets personal. I think I’m going to write a book on how many people have asked me out,” said Catherine Anaya.
    Social networking is where the news becomes viral. It is where reporters pick up their stories and how they spread the news. It is a way to interact with everyone, even if you have never met them in your life. This is an advantage. However, with children and a husband, the majority of women agreed that there is a limit to how much of their personal life they will post. It is strictly personal. However, like a slight personal touch is needed for broadcasting, it is needed for social networking. People will then see who they are watching for the person, not the broadcaster.
    Nevertheless, according to Carey Pena, “social media is more access to resources.”
    So what does it mean to be a women in today’s broadcasting world? Nothing. That’s how it should be. Broadcasting is a level playing field no matter the gender and women like these Arizona broadcasters have shown that women are not at a disadvantage in the field. They can even climb the ladder faster. That’s if–and this matters– their personality is great enough to give them the opportunity.

Brendan CapriaAugust 31, 2011 @ 8:58 pm
  111. The response to the second Must See Monday event was enormous- the female power on display Monday evening drew a crowd of hungry, passionate and excited journalism students. Lin Sue Cooney (12 News), Catherina Anaya (CBS 5), Katie Raml (ABC 15), Linda Williams (Fox 10) and Carey Peña (KTVK 3) shared over an hour of advice, stories, and tips that ranged from their first day on the job experience to encouraging students to take a job in a small market. The women also hit a topic that many always think about: aging in the industry. Linda Williams firmly confirmed that aging through a career in television and as a female is seen by many as a ticking time bomb that has a certain expiration date; however, she shared that “as a woman, on my terms I’ll leave…you’re not pushed so much.” Carey Peña shared with students that “it’s a career you have to embrace” and Catherine Anaya warned that all students should “be careful [with] what you post, it could come back to bite you.” Social media was popular Monday evening as the panelist of professional journalists noticed the number of students on their cell phones, computers or other electronic devices. Linda William said that learning how to keep up with social media has “been like whip lash” while also saying that she “find[s] it incredibly valuable.” Lin Sue Cooney said that viewers talk to her “a lot…[and] it is a way to personally connect” with a virtual “relationship” existing because of the accessibility. Carey Peña noted that “if you put it out that you’re accessible, you need to be accessible.” The conversation also mentioned the dangers of social media with members of the community who boldly contact the journalists because of the interactions that Twitter and Facebook make possible. Before the evening came to a conclusion Katie Raml shared her best advice with the students: “Don’t take credit for the high points then you won’t take credit for the low points.” A humorous, yet somewhat taunting, wish by Katie Raml was for students to “hope [their] gear is as nice as it is at ASU.” The night was filled with an atmosphere of female bonding (sorry gentlemen) between professionals who hold the job that many in the crowd are currently focusing on. This Must See Monday was a night that deserves more than at least 150 words; this was a treat for all of the Cronkite students (especially for those who were quick to notice the shoes that the professionals were wearing).

Vivian PadillaAugust 31, 2011 @ 9:25 pm
  112. In this week’s Must See Monday, the “leading ladies” of the top five news stations in the valley came to speak to Cronkite students about their experiences in the industry. Since I’ve lived in Arizona for ten years now, and lightheartedly consider myself a “news connoisseur,” I was very excited to see these respected members of the local press up-close, especially my hero, Lin Sue Cooney from NBC affiliate KPNX (and let it be known that hearing her speak on Monday only made me love her more)!
    In reflection of the series, I think that it’s important for us as journalism students to recognize that well-known and “famous” reporters such as these women were once in our shoes as well. From our perspective, we are far away from those ladies in professional status, and it will be a grueling road ahead where most of the students here won’t even make it into the field. But hearing these ladies’ stories helped to show in a more relevant sense—to me at least—that with a positive attitude and willingness to step out of one’s comfort zone, we can be respected journalists one day as well.

Andrew RomanovSeptember 2, 2011 @ 4:02 pm
  113. Yesterday I attended the second must see monday of the year and it was a real treat. I was so excited to meet all the powerful women who deliver us the news every day. The news anchors who were there included Catherine Anaya (CBS 5), Lin Sue Cooney (12 News), Carey Pena (KTVK 3), Katie Raml (ABC 15), and Linda Williams (FOX 10).
    These women were asked a lot about their careers and what they thought it takes on making it in the business. They all agreed with one another that balancing their work with private and family life was really difficult. They used examples of when there would be a time when they had family problems but were about to be on the air so there was nothing they could possibly do to help out, it would just have to wait. The reporters also mentioned that they have boundaries just like regular people do, and when they get “hit on” they find it very annoying and do not enjoy it. One thing that I found very useful is when Carey mentioned that we should all watch what we post on face book and twitter because it could come back to bite you in the butt one day.
    This was a very useful and good experience for me, I can only hope that all the other must see mondays are this educational.

Chris KeinNovember 14, 2011 @ 8:00 pm
  114. So much great discussion and posting here. Thanks.

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.

css.php