Sept. 9: Meet the Women of Arizona TV News

A panel of on-air anchors featuring Catherine Anaya, KPHO-TV; Lin Sue Cooney, KPNX-TV; Carey Pena, KTVK-3TV; and Linda Williams, KSAZ-TV

Moderated by Melanie Alvarez, lecturer and executive producer, Cronkite NewsWatch

Categories: Uncategorized.

Comment Feed

90 Responses

1. On the other side of the screen, four of Arizona’s most well-known female TV anchors sat down with Cronkite School’s undergraduates to share their experiences in the field. The topics of discussion spanned across the obstacles faced by women in journalism, minorities on television, social media and the importance of internships.
    “It’s important to build your brand,” Carey Pena, an anchor at 3TV, said. She spoke about how her internship with Channel 3 inspired her to seek a job at the same station. Catherine Anaya, an anchor for CBS 5 in Phoenix, echoed this sentiment.
    Linda Williams, who works at Fox 10 in Phoenix, recommended supplementing a degree in journalism with skills like meteorology, Spanish or sports journalism.
    These three women, along with 12 News Anchor Lin Sue Cooney, insisted the most important skills budding journalists should cultivate, however, are a unique personality and a determination to succeed.
    Pena believed that her success has had to do with her curiosity. She feels fortunate to have a job where no two days are the same. Williams said her success is, in part, a result of her sense of humor and humanity.
    The importance of humanity was a sentiment echoed time and time again during the lecture.

Stephanie HabibSeptember 9, 2013 @ 8:15 pm
  2. Must See Mondays: Meet the Women of Arizona News

CBS 5- Catherine Anaya
    12 News- Lin Sue Cooney
    3TV- Carey Pena
    Fox 10- Linda Williams

Even though I am not interested in broadcasting, it was a delight and privilege to be able to hear from these ladies. Becoming more familiar with this industry cultivated a deeper appreciation in my eyes for what they do. One of the most important ideas I gathered from this particular “Must See Mondays” was the power of inspiration and how far it can get you in your career. Below are some more notes I picked up from the event.

• Goals: motivation and inspiration
    • “The beauty of human spirit is seen through professional journalism”
    • Obstacles: balancing career with family, sacrifices
    • Happy in personal life= happy in professional life
    • Reinforce positivity; many different opportunities and paths available
    • Dealing with haters: move on; don’t let anyone steal your joy or passion
    • Find something that will sustain you
    • Diversity
    • Journalism is “telling a story with your words…”
    • College lessons
    - Bulk of lessons come from internships, experiencing work on professional levels, cultivate strong networks
    - “When you think you know everything you need to know about this business, it is time to get out.”
    - Figure out what is on the table and what your possibilities are
    - Huge value in the intangible
    - Be yourself- do not copy people, defy cloning
    - Have “fire in the belly” – ask questions, reach out, take internships seriously, etc.
    - Learn weather or extra stuff (trending)
    • Qualities that get you through and set you apart
    - Community, passion, roots (Catherine Anaya)
    - Pick good anchormen, try to be real (Lin Sue Cooney)
    - Curiosity (Carey Pena)
    - Keep things light when appropriate, take the high road
    • Roles changing
    - Media networking- connecting with viewers, instant feedback
    - What people know of you outside of the newsroom
    - Breaking news no longer exists
    - Credibility is key to longevity
    - Be in charge of your own identity
    - Twitter removes formality- easy to access top dogs and build on your brand
    • What you remember the most: Ordinary people doing extraordinary things, motivating people and raising them up
    • How do you handle anxiety- you just have to do it! Educate yourself. Maintain foundation.
    • Chaotic and unpredictable schedule

Catherine Ann Gabriella NolenSeptember 9, 2013 @ 8:45 pm
  3. As a women I was drawn to this fist Must See Monday event. Although I do not think I want to be a women anchor I thought it would be interesting to get the perspective of women in the television field and see what they both enjoy and find challenging about being in the industry. It seems like the biggest challenge is finding the balance of between working and being a mother. A lot of work goes into being a news anchor as well as a mother.
    One of the questions, to which I found the panel of women’s responses quite interesting, was What qualities (do they think) have kept them in the field for so long. I found this question compelling because all of these women have been very successful and they have to be doing something right. The consensus: be compassionate, tell things like they are, have a passion for what you do, and have a sense of humor. They explained that it is very important to be yourself and be a genuine as you can; the more real you are, the more people will be able to relate to you. They emphasized that people will eventually see if you are being fake. Additionally, I found the conversation about social media very fascinating. Social Media is a huge part of our society and modern day culture. As news people, the panel said that is was part of their job to tweet and update facebook daily. They also spoke about how social media is a good way to meet/interact with potential/future employers. If you brand yourself properly, and add directors and producers in the field, they could potentially get in contact and hire you. Overall, I enjoyed the lecture. I found the panel to be interesting, inspiring, and compelling.

Hannah GSeptember 9, 2013 @ 8:52 pm
  4. The first of the Must See Monday series was really interesting to me. This presentation really peaked my interest because it truly provided a real look into the broadcasting world. The four women on the panel all provided unique and interesting viewpoints into the industry.

One of the things I found most interesting was that they all said how much they loved thier job. All of the women spike on the fact that a job in the broadcast world is both exciting an thrilling. Some of the best things they get to do are share stories and learn about people. “No day is ever the same…It’s a phenomanol gig” Linda Williams said.

They also touched on the keys to finding success in the industry. One of the things mentioned was to truly care about what your reporting on. Lin Sue talked about how one must be genuine when interviewing someone. She pointed out that you have to love what your doing and what your talking about, otherwise you come across as fake. Another pointer that stuck out to me was being your own person and developing your own brand. “Be yourself, it helps you stand out of the crowd” Lin Sue said. It is very important to be yourself and not to try and emulate someone. If you’re trying to copy another personality or be exactly like another, you will probably come across as fake. This to me was a really important point.

The final thing that really stuck out to me in this conversation was about finding your passion. “Find your passion, it makes your life so much happier” Carey Pena said. The other ladies also touched on how to find your passion. By doing your own thing and getting involved, you will find what you want to do. All of the panel also talked on the importance of internships because they help develop and find passions. Whether it is being on TV or behind the camera, finding your passion is the most important.

Joseph HardySeptember 9, 2013 @ 9:00 pm
  5. “Show that you are passionate, show that you are a sponge, show that you really want to soak up all the information and use it to better yourself.” Catherine Anaya’s advice to us this evening along with the other three women of Arizona TV was inspirational and motivating. It is always intriguing to listen to broadcasters outside of the TV, and reassures me that I am on a great career path to become one myself. Along with their advice of staying true to ones self, be real on and off camera, and get a good education even after college working everyday in the field, I found it interesting that Linda Williams said that if we can do weather, it’s a definite plus when a company is hiring. There are many challenges I learned that come with being an anchor. Not knowing what could happen tomorrow, where you’ll have to go at the last minute, and trying to juggle work with family time is a struggle that any anchor could have, man or woman. But these ladies all seem to have found a way to be successful on and off air. I think some of my main takeaways from this first Must See Monday, is that I need to try as much as I can. I should be involved in classes, clubs, and organizations, and internships are essential in the field. As they say, it’s not always what you know, but who you know. Getting your feet wet in the industry through internships can help in years to come, and may end up someday being, one of Arizona’s Women of TV News.

Blake MarquardtSeptember 9, 2013 @ 9:07 pm
  6. Serena Zhang JMC 110

A panel of TV news anchors featuring Catherine Anaya, CBS 5; Lin Sue Cooney, 12 News; Carey Pena, KTVK-3TV; and Linda Williams, Fox 10

Notes:

- Moments that make the job worth it: meeting people who impact us and society.

- Let the people around you serve as motivation and inspiration while reporting on stories.

- Obstacles as a women in news: balancing career with family obligations

- Linda Williams said, “be determined and do not let anyone tell you your eyes are too close together for the job!”

- Catherine Anaya mentioned the diversity that is in the broadcast line of business today, “Theres people who look like me! If they can do it I can do it”

- Internships are so important and figure out where and when jobs are available

- experience different styles of journalism and reporting like weather, sports, ect. Do not just stick to one craft.

- Be sincere when interviewing people, make them forget that they are in front of the camera and on the news.

- Be sure to post on social media all the time. Sometimes you will also get great feedback through social media as well.

My thoughts:

I really enjoyed this Must See Monday because this relates directly to my career path. Catherine, Lin Sue, Carey, and Linda gave us some excellent advice and insight. Some of the things I learned from this Must see Monday is how important social media is in this industry. I am not a great social media person and I do not tweet as often as I should so from now on I am going to try and navigate twitter more. What I also enjoyed was how diverse the panel of TV news anchors were. All four women are of different ethnicity and came from different backgrounds. As a Chinese American, the aspect of diversity in this line of work is motivating.

Serena ZhangSeptember 9, 2013 @ 9:08 pm
  7. Every journalist worth their salt knows the textbook formula for a “good” news story: timeliness, relevance, proximity, prominence, oddity, consequence and conflict. National networks and papers seem do all of these very well, covering the most influential, controversial, dramatic and “best” stories of the nation. Where does that leave local media outlets, criticized for their small budgets, staff and “petty” news coverage?

Four Arizona broadcasting figureheads answered that question tonight at the Cronkite School: Catherine Anaya, CBS 5; Lin Sue Cooney, 12 News; Carey Peña, 3TV; and Linda Williams, FOX 10.

Williams argues that local news breaks from the stereotypes that follow “big” journalism networks. Her roots in the community allow her to become a part of the story, experiencing tragedy and triumph right along with the sources she interviews.

If there’s anything she’s learned about triumph and tragedy, though, Peña said that tragedy is always eclipsed by the kindness of others. Local reporting has only made these lessons seem more real–the reporters who break local stories often see them mature and return again years in the future.

Sure, national networks can pick and choose the most “newsworthy” stories and can afford a network of corresponding reporters around the globe, but local news provides a personality and warmth unique to local news.

“Our job is important,” says Cooney. “Just some days it is more important than others.”

Because local journalists are member of the community themselves, they also have a very tangible influence. “Be a role model for that child out there,” said Anaya, reflecting on her own experience as that “child.”

To me, this participation doesn’t seem like a loss of objectivity, but a humane and genuine reporting of the news that distant, national networks can only fake.

8. Because broadcast is the area of Journalism I am most interested in, it was such a great opportunity to hear from four of Phoenix’s most powerful TV newswomen: Catherine Anaya (CBS 5), Lin Sue Cooney (12 News), Carey Pena (3TV), and Linda Williams (FOX 10). Although the panel was full of women, they offered insight and gave advice for both males and females to succeed in this business. The discussions here tonight ranged from difficulties about their jobs, individual qualities they believed help get their jobs, lessons learned from their college days, and the greatest thing about their jobs. Each gave a unique look on each topic based on their personal experiences as they came up the latter.
    Some of the advice that I felt was really important to hear was to take internships. It is important to make yourself known, make contacts, figure out and follow the jobs that are available, and learn to be yourself. Viewers like to see someone who is personal and not an act. Linda Williams said, “If you snort when you laugh, snort when you laugh on TV!” Have a sense of humor and show your passion for what you are doing. It was also mentioned that it’s not about how you sound when you deliver the news, it’s what you are saying that matters.
    Regarding nerves and anxiety, the best way to overcome those new nerves is to just go out there and do it. All four ladies agreed that there will be people who tell us we won’t make it. We shouldn’t let that get in the way of our goals and dreams. If we have the passion for something, people will see that and know we are serious about what we want. Broadcast journalism is a lot of on-the-job learning. Mess-ups are going to happen as we are only human.
    As a viewer all my life, I have only ever known a television anchor for the hour or two they are on the air. Viewers never get to see what happens behind the scenes. It was fascinating to hear what all goes on in preparation for a broadcast. I have so much more respect for all anchors who juggle a career and a home life. Women anchors who juggle between their jobs at work and at home as mothers have a very long and difficult day, but they do it. It is truly amazing hearing about all of their hard work and dedication. Tonight showed that hard work does pay off. It did for all four of the speakers tonight.
    Finally, reporters and anchors have a job that is much more than just delivering the news. Journalists are much more than a public service, they are healers. They tell the human stories that are both sad and up lifting. They help communities mourn and grieve. For the younger audiences, (like college students) they serve as role models. Though we should always bring our own unique touch to the broadcasts, the men and women of broadcast journalism today serve as our role models. They are the people we eventually want to become. There is nothing better than having those who we look up to tell us that we can do it.

Kody AcevedoSeptember 9, 2013 @ 9:27 pm
  9. Though broadcast isn’t my intended field of study at Cronkite, I still found tonight’s Must See Monday very interesting. The women of Arizona news provided great information about what it’s like to work in broadcast. Also, some of them are Cronkite alumni, which is very encouraging to me as an incoming freshman.

I was surprised to learn that being on the news is in fact a very multi-dimensional career. There is a lot more that goes into it than simply being on a camera and reading a script. As a woman, I also found it very encouraging to know that the presence of females in the field of journalism is becoming more common.

The most important information that I took away from the discussion was to not be afraid of your goals, to always be yourself and to take advantage of all the internships offered by Cronkite.

Many of the women started out in their fields doing something completely different than they are doing now, and I found that very interesting. They stressed the importance of keeping an open mind about what you want to do with your life, because things could easily turn in a different direction. I also learned that internships are very important during your college career, as they open the door to potential employers after graduation. While at an internship, I learned that it is very important to be eager to learn and to be vocal and introduce yourself to as many people as you can to make a name for yourself. Another thing that will get you noticed and raise people’s opinions of you is to be yourself, and let your genuine personality show through.

In short, I thoroughly enjoyed the first Must See Monday of the year. It was pretty cool to see ASU alumni who are successful in journalism, especially women. I’m very glad I attended, and I look forward to attending more in the near future.

Amanda JensenSeptember 9, 2013 @ 9:29 pm
  10. COLLAPSE
    Must see Mondays!

Meet the women of Arizona TV News

These women were first asked what was the news that most impacted them. They had mentioned the local news about the 19 firefighters that had died in Yarnell Hill. When these women elaborated they seemed to be so real and humbled. They spoke about the humanity aspect of the news and the fact that they are performing a civil duty and a duty to the community as a communicator and informer. There were many important quotes these women mentioned. For starters, Lin Sue Coney said, “there is no way to have it all”. The 12 news reporter said this referreing to the hardest part of her carreer managing her family and her career and it truly being a juggling act. These women also offered a great deal of real life work force advice during the talk Linda Williams said that knowing/learning how to do weather is very important when broadcasting because employers are looking for people with a variety of qualities not one. Writting is also key in having the x factor. Knowing and learning how to write should be first. This industry is a fast and growing one and one should absorb it like a sponge. I wanted to ask a question but unfortunately I was not chosen. My question would have been about the stereotypes women face today and what stereotypes they see on a day to day basis and how to overcome them. All in all very informative meeting and it was truly a pleasure to see them all up close and to listen to them.

Maria Fabiola PortilloSeptember 9, 2013 @ 9:41 pm
  11. “Must See Mondays”: Meet the Women of the Arizona News
    * Catherine Anaya, CBS 5
    * Lin Sue Cooney, 12 News
    * Carey Pena, 3TV
    * Linda Williams, Fox 10

My Thoughts:
    As someone unsure of which path to take in the field of journalism, I was very keen to attend tonight’s event. What made it even more interesting for me was the fact that the guests were talented, successful women who found a balance in both their careers and private lives.
    Perhaps the most insightful pieces of advice I gained from tonight’s discussion were to be yourself, find a balance, and never lose the passion in your career. Hearing about the hectic schedules these women lead, their obligations outside of the newsroom (both for career and for personal life), was truly awe-inspiring. It takes a lot to be able to handle so many responsibilities, and I think it was very important to see examples of that as a freshman at Cronkite.
    Their professionalism and courteous manner towards one another was something I also appreciated; they all reinforced the point that it is never good to “bruise” someone too badly, as one never knows who will be in charge one day or who one’s colleagues could be. I felt this advice was simply superb; many times, whether through social media, texting, or face-to-face interactions, people lack tact and good conduct. Our society gravitates towards selfishness. The idea of being a journalist usually comes with the notion that it is a “cut-throat” industry, where we have to battle to be “on top”….and in some ways, it is just that. However, I was very grateful that these ladies unanimously said acting with “grace and poise”, could get one further than being a “witch”.
    Overall, I felt the entire presentation to be very informative, professional, and I’m very grateful Cronkite hosts events like this. I look forward to learning more through my attendance at future events!

Tea Francesca PriceSeptember 9, 2013 @ 9:44 pm
  12. When I walked into the 2nd amendment forum, I was really thinking, I am here for my extra credit, let’s get this over with! Walking out however, I felt like I knew that this is exactly where I want my life to go and I know where I want to start it.
    At first I thought, I’ve heard the Women in Broadcast speech before. “It’s tough, we are too sensitive,” and “you can’t have a family life and a career.” But these women made it seem so easy and remind us that we are women, but truth be told, we are more like Wonder-Women. They have been able to balance a demanding career AND a family. They have learned to tweet AND tell a story as it is happening (multi-tasking at its best!) They have kept their cool in hectic situations AND revealed themselves to everyone on television.
    Catherin Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Pena, and Linda Williams, some of the most successful women in the industry, for once, made the business seem less scary. As a young woman, I sometimes watch the news, majority male, and I sometimes find myself second-guessing this choice. I tried to decide, I want to cover this kind of news because I don’t want to report the bad things or the sad things that happen. I didn’t want to be that face that would report the bad news. But in fact, as they shared, those times are what show us how a community sticks together, using the example of Yarnell. They were sincere with the community and they could see the community come together after the tragedy.
    I was told that sometimes we have to put on the reporter face with the fake smile and ask the daring questions to report the news. Tonight, these ladies completely shattered that image as to what a reporter is. They made it clear to me that although we are reporters; it is OK to be human. Everyone expects us to be insensitive and not really care, since we are just there to get the story and be out. Instead, these ladies advise to be sincere, and compassionate, and giving those hugs when someone needs it! They actually get involved in the community. It is in our nature to do those things—Being a woman does have its perks!
    These women are admirable and are an inspiration. We all want to be that person someday, and I honestly would not mind being looked up to, like many of us look up to them. They have told stories and have seen the true vulnerability of a person. They report the same stories with different views. They have been able to adapt to the ever changing world of NEWS, while still looking fabulous! And although there were many secrets to success that were shared, the main few I took, were: BE YOURSELF and like Lin Sue Cooney, carry yourself with grace and poise (and sit next to a great Male Anchor). Carey Pena, advised to just go for it—and hire yourself when possible. Catherine Anaya mentioned that making friendships are important, they will hopefully “bend over backwards” for you in the long run, when you just want to have dinner with your family. And finally, Linda Williams, she had a sense of humor at the right times, and gave hugs when needed—and she has been successful in this industry for a long time because of it.

Juana MorenoSeptember 9, 2013 @ 10:00 pm
  13. I have been anticipating this specific “Must See Monday” for, what feels like, forever. What a wonderful opportunity Cronkite students have to go see “Must See Mondays” and listen to such inspirational people. Tonight was no exception. Listening to Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Pena, and Linda Williams talk about their careers, and journalism in general, was so insightful to what it really takes to get in and stay in the business. Listening to what inspired them, like reporting on the Yarnell firefighters, really reminded me of why I want to be a journalist and the important duty we have to make sure our audience gets the whole story. I liked when Carey Pena shared the advice she was once told, “You can figure out how to be on TV but no one can teach you how to be smart.” I am so grateful for the time and words of encouragement and positivity these women shared with us this evening.

Abby JenningsSeptember 9, 2013 @ 10:12 pm
  14. The first Must See Monday of the year kicked off with; Meeting the Women of Arizona TV News. The speakers included: Catherine Anaya (CBS 5), Lin Sue Cooney (12 News), Carey Pena (3TV), and Linda Williams (FOX 10.) All four of these women are powerful figures across Arizona.
    The first topic of discussion was about the most proud moments in their careers. Most of the women talked about the recent Yarnell fires. I spent most of my time on site during the Yarnell fires, said Linda Williams. Tragic times like these are the ones you will remember in your career.
    An interesting fact was brought up during the conversation, 70% of current enrolled Cronkite students are female. With a huge factor of students being female at the Cronkite School, it shows that women are making a huge impact in the media world.
    The women also discussed raising a family. “You have to map out you’re path,” said Carey Pena. Lessons learned from college were also an interesting topic at Must See Monday. “I learned a lot from my internships,” Lin Sue Cooney. All four women stressed the importance of landing internships.

Wesley MingaSeptember 9, 2013 @ 10:24 pm
  15. I’ve grown up hearing “And I’m Lin Sue Cooney” on Channel 12, so it was a pleasure to get to see her in person tonight at my school.
    There’s plenty of room in journalism for niches, Cooney said, which is good because I’m still trying to find mine. So far I’ve done newsprint, and am trying my hand out at magazine writing this year.
    She also gave the advice of learning to balance your personal life with your professional, especially for any career woman with a family. I don’t have a family yet, but I am still struggling on how to manage all my reporting duties while still having time for my friends.
    I sympathized completely with Carey Pena when she said she’s a reporter because she’s the type to get bored easily and be constantly curious. I’ve learned through experience a normal job is not for me, so I’m taking the route of reporter for similar reasons. I also enjoyed her part on how the seeing the beauty of the human spirit in daily action is what makes the job worthwhile.
    I’m definitely not in the reporting gig for fame or anything, which is good because Linda Williams said that buzz wears off pretty fast. I’m a reporter because I love to write and (though I don’t always act like it) I love people.
    Williams also gave the good advice of not listening to anything people will say to bring down (and they will say such things, she added).
    Going back to Lin Sue Cooney, I think the best advice of the night came when she said to not go, “I want to be like them.” No matter how much you admire someone, she said, it’s always best to learn what your style is rather than purposefully trying to mimic the style of others.

Sarah AndersonSeptember 9, 2013 @ 10:26 pm
  16. This Must See Monday event was so inspirational being a female journalism student who aspires to one day be in the same position as the four panel members and I am so thankful to them for taking the time to come and speak with us. Being from Arizona I have grown up watching these women report and it was an awesome experience getting the opportunity to know them as people outside of the newsroom. I thought that each of these women gave fantastic advice, such as when Anaya said that she learned some of her most valuable lessons from her internships, and Cooney said that the most important thing is to be yourself. I also liked the fact that each of these women juggle families and successful careers, and how honest they were about the difficulties of having the best of both worlds. One of the best parts about tonight though, was seeing the friendships that each of these women have. Yes, they admitted that there is always some sort of competition between them, but they never let it get the best of them, which I feel enhances their success. Each of these women showed us that it is possible to succeed in the competitive journalism world and like Williams said “learn the weather” because knowing how to do multiple things, as well as being willing to do them, will lead you to a successful career.

Meghan KueblerSeptember 9, 2013 @ 10:26 pm
  17. When turning on the local news in the evening, we sometimes forget the faces we see are that of individuals who share the same beliefs and passions as us. This evening, we had the opportunity to listen to four prominent women in the local news scene (Catherine Anaya of CBS 5, Lin Sue Cooney of 12 News, Carey Pena of 3TV and Linda Williams of Fox 10), relaying their experiences in the work force. What struck me the most during their discussion was their in-person presence and how this was almost identical to that of their on-screen nature. The lesson to be learned here? Being you is the key to success in this industry. Your skills and your talents may land you the interview, however in order to snag the job, you must be real. It’s invigorating to know that yes, you are allowed to become the journalist you choose to be, not the person others expect you to become.

Another interesting topic arose this evening: the idea of friendly competition. While each of the four speakers came from different companies and fight for viewership on the daily, this did not prohibit their friendship from blooming. Inevitably, they commented, we will run into each other in the industry and the best way to stay on top is to show tolerance and respect towards those around us. In an industry so plagued with the idea that we must be ‘first’ to break news, stomping over whoever is in our way to get there, it is refreshing to hear that there is a common level of companionship from company to company.

While the press often takes hits from the public, the women tonight were able to shine a light on journalism, showing us the reward for following our passions!

Becca SmouseSeptember 9, 2013 @ 11:33 pm
  18. Must See Mondays never fail to impress me. What I found most compelling from tonight’s panel of speakers was the advice given about branching out. As a sophomore, I have learned that diversifying yourself is very important skill to have. The more you do to set yourself apart from the rest, the more you’ll get noticed. One can do this by specializing themselves in a different language or by studying a certain specialty—weather, politics, history and etc. I especially enjoyed hearing advice from successful women within the area. Their advice on balancing such a lifestyle was inspiring and informative in many ways because it gave me an outlook on what it’s like to be a professional while being a mother. A majority of the women started out in a field different from the ones they are in now. Their advice for us was to keep an open mind and perspective on the jobs and opportunities that we take on. In college we are told to have a plan for our career but sometimes things don’t go as planned, so we should prepare ourselves for the unexpected.

Sydnie StorerSeptember 9, 2013 @ 11:43 pm
  19. The first Must-See Monday of the 2013-2014 school year was hosted by all women, and for good reason. The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism at Arizona State University has 70 percent female enrollment this year. But the audience in the First Amendment Forum was surprisingly mixed. Men and women came out to hear advice, stories and philosophes from the women of Arizona’s television news. Catherine Anaya from CBS 5, Lin Sue Cooney from 12 News, Carey Pena from 3TV and Linda Williams from Fox 10 were all present. Each woman had her own story and her own list of credentials but the hardship that everyone agreed upon was: balancing a career and a family. When the disastrous deaths of the Yarnell firefighters occurred, Lin Sue Cooney stated that she had to quickly find a place for her children to stay for four days while she took a van up to Prescott to help the town grieve. She says that was one of her most memorable, moving moments as a reporter because she saw the tragedy that affected the small town and she was there to report it and help with their healing process.
    The women news anchors also shared the pieces of advice that helped them make their own careers successful. Lin Sue Cooney urged the students to be yourself; never be a clone of someone else. Then the other reporters jumped in saying, as an intern we want to see a fire in your stomach. You should want to intern because its true hands on work at a professional level. And you’re always be making connections, which is good because you never know who your boss will be!

Paige BrownSeptember 9, 2013 @ 11:50 pm
  20. It was a pleasure to be able to here such prominent and powerful female figures talk honestly about their careers. I often hear about women balancing work and family life, but Catherine Anaya’s description of how she finds equilibrium really stuck with me. She did not enter the field of journalism hoping that one day someone would allow her to make time for her family; Anaya simply asserted the circumstances herself. I feel like many women enter this field with the idea that they have to pick either work or family, or be blessed with the opportunity to succeed both. But Anaya made it clear that the ability to balance is not a blessing; it is a result of what you put into your work, and being forthright about your priorities.
    This event also made me realize how much I need to take initiative, and do things that make me uncomfortable, anxious, or terrified (or perhaps a combination of all three). Confidence emanated from these four women, which is the quality that is most likely the root of their success. Carey Pena’s stories about internships were enough to make my stomach turn. However, I know I need to accept the inevitable fate of messing up, as well as taking responsibility for those mistakes. Opportunity did not just fall in the laps of the four women who spoke at Cronkite tonight. They had to seek out those chances, and confront the things that scared them the most. Even though I realized just how much confrontation I will need to do over the next four years, I feel even more excited about pursuing my passion.

Amy CampbellSeptember 10, 2013 @ 12:05 am
  21. Catherine, Lin Sue, Carey and Linda showed us guys a great view of what the newsroom must look like to a woman. They reminded us that only 2 or 3 short decades ago, journalism was a very male-dominated field. Not only were there few women to be found, but those who did exist in journalism at the time were sometimes treated unfairly by their male counter-parts. This is the situation these 4 women found themselves in. But adversity aside, they talked about the obligation they all feel to help this community by accurately distributing the news. And in the end, thats the most important part. I took many notes and recorded the stories they told tonight, thinking that at some point they will come in hand for me. There was a professionalism that flowed from each of these women that echoed years of hard work paying off. I especially enjoyed hearing them speak about the Yarnell fires. Telling us how they became more than reporters, how they were truly in the mix, helping people and getting the right stories out. These are examples of good journalists today, examples that we can hopefully carry forth.

Michael GordonSeptember 10, 2013 @ 12:45 am
  22. What a great way to start out my first “Must See Monday.” I was really excited about this one because I recognized each of these women from TV so I was already interested in what they had to say. Learning from people who have achieved so much is such an amazing privilege and I just couldn’t wait to soak it all in! I learned several key factors last night that gave me insight into a field that I may be interested in. First, one of the main questions of the night was what were the obstacles these ladies face as females in their career as broadcast journalists. All of the women chimed in a variation of the fact that juggling a career with a family is the hardest part. Catherine Anaya mentioned how she decided that she wanted to spend two nights of the week home at dinner with her family because it was becoming difficult for her to drop her kids off at school in the morning and not see them until the next day. She mentioned how she didn’t even need to ask, that everyone bent over backwards to help her to accomplish this. I was extremely happy to hear this, and I assume the rest of the other 70% female students at Cronkite were as well, because that is something as a female I worry about. When I heard that there were people who would do anything to help you be able to spend time with your family if you needed to, gave me hope. Lin Sue Coonery stated, “it doesn’t matter if you work at a shoe store,” balancing any career with kids as a mother is tough. Second, my hope in my future for journalism grew even more when I heard that the future of journalism is evolving, and there is plenty of room to find your niche and move within it. When I tell people I am getting my degree in journalism, I hear a lot of negativity and that “journalism is dead.” Luckily for me and every other future journalist out there, that is not so. I believe it was Catherine Anaya who said that journalism is like telling a story without the pictures so you have to be somewhat of a wordsmith, luckily for them, as broadcasters you get pictures on television so it makes it a little bit easier. Linda Williams mentioned how she loved writing and that it was still her passion today, and even though people have told her she was not made for TV, she didn’t listen and has created a career she really loves to this day. Cary Pena talked about her qualities that helped her in her field. She mentioned her curiosity and how she gets bored easily so she is always trying to make things fun and interesting. This works out for her because she says no day is ever the same as a news anchor. She also said how she “hired herself” because she was so involved in her internship and was ready and waiting for the opportunity to arise where she could get a job on TV. The women agreed that one essential factor is taking your internship seriously, asking questions, and speaking to people because that is what will show that you have the fire to make a good journalist. I look up to these inspirational women who are beautiful on the inside and out and hope that if I choose to be in broadcasting, that I can be half as accomplished and classy as they are.

Justine PetersenSeptember 10, 2013 @ 1:29 am
  23. “Don’t let anyone take away your drive and passion to succeed in this business.”- Linda Williams from Fox 10. When she said that, she had my undivided attention. I wholeheartedly believe that statement, so it was very reaffirming for me that she believes we all can become successful. Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Pena, and Linda Williams all touched on what they feel has sustained them in the field: when there are emotional stories, be genuine and sincere when handling a delicate situation such as death or an accident. On some days the responsibility to tell the story carries more weight, but it still needs to be known. Carey Pena commented on the beauty of the human spirit and how she is confronted with the notion that there is more bad news than good news, her take on that was for every unpleasant circumstance, there are twice as many uplifting occasions that inspire people. Which leads me to what Linda Williams said about being an inspiration to others, the women all say they do their job to the best of their ability, taking into account the dedication and hard work they had to invest to be in the positions they are today, it’s not surprising. It illustrates they are real people who want to hear from the viewers and connect with them.
    Some advice I heeded, was when they talked about implementing perseverance and passion in your work by going above and beyond to complete something, if you do that, people will go above and beyond for you as well. I was surprised to learn about the busy day they have when they are not on air; some of those things are attending meetings, reading their scripts, doing their makeup, and traveling to different parts of the state at unpredictable hours in order to give people the information. However unpredictable their jobs may be day to day, they encouraged us to make time for our personal lives and find a balance between it and work. I think that is a true challenge, it can be done, but it is definitely a difficult task to balance evenly. The most important thing I took away from the women of Arizona T.V. News, was to be yourself, be genuine, educate yourself, be willing and if you keep asking questions and learning, you will have not only a lasting but stimulating career.

Alyssa TuftsSeptember 10, 2013 @ 8:44 am
  24. During this week’s Must See Mondays, I was delighted to be in the seats listening to anchors Catherine Anaya, Carey Pena, Lin Sue Cooney and Linda Williams. I especially enjoyed their comments on the obstacles women encounter in particular in this field of work.

Touching on the subject of “not being able to have it all,” is one of the key things I took out of this event. Being a woman in the journalism world is challenging to say the least. In this day of age, it is completely normal for women to hold positions of power in the business world, but the routines these women have to go through day in and day out are still not mastered and still not entirely known to the public.

Especially with women with husbands who work, a job in the journalism world is a hard one to balance. Between family and work, one has to come out on top at certain points in the day. During the talk today, all of these women touched on the struggles they’ve come across, but they also talked about how they prevailed and this is the main idea.

As journalists, men or women, we will all face controversy in our field; that’s just the way the world works nowadays and if we don’t like it then we better get out now. You have to be able to multi-task, to be on the light rail going to work while memorizing scripts, emailing people for interviews and updating your twitter all at the same time. It’s hard, yes. But do people do it? Yes, everyday.

As young journalists, we strive to get to the point in our lives when listening to someone’s crazy work, as a journalist is completely normal for ourselves. We want to be able to be up on a stage and tell our stories and how we jumped through hoops and fought our way to the top to achieve our goals.

All of the women on the panel tonight shared with us their knowledge and their passion for journalism. Passion is key to any job you have because if you don’t love your job then why do it? If it’s just for money then you aren’t getting the most out of your life. Tonight’s event encouraged me to follow my aspirations and do what I want to do in life. It reminded me that the road won’t be easy and there will be more than my fair share of sacrifices, but in the end, it will be worth it.

Samantha PellSeptember 10, 2013 @ 10:20 am
  25. On Monday, September 9, the Cronkite School’s Must See Monday event featured the women of Arizona TV News. The four women featured were Lin Sue Cooney (12 News), Catherine Anaya (CBS 5), Carey Pena (KTVK-3TV) and Linda Williams (Fox 10). Each anchor news programs in Phoenix, the thirteenth largest media market in the country. The panel of competent, insightful anchors discussed topics ranging from the recent Yarnell Hill fire to who their idols were at a young age. But, all the questions answered gave reassurance to students pursuing their career choices. Some of the highlights of the event included the women explaining the importance of being a community leader, while still being able to connect personally with their viewers. Cooney said, “I just try to be the person you would bump into at Safeway.” In addition, a student asked the women to share which story of theirs was the most interesting or important. Cooney’s answer really displayed how large of an effect being an anchor can have on their city. Cooney did not mention interviews with celebrities or presidents as being her most important or interesting stories, but recalled a story that led to a handicapped crossing guard getting a ramp and patio built around his mobile home. Just like Cooney mentioned in regards to the Yarnell coverage prior to this discussion, some days the job is more important than others. Overall, the panel of successful news anchors offered valuable advice on how to navigate the world of TV News as a female or even just a newcomer to the industry. The panel truly inspired the students of the Cronkite School.

Shannon ScharrerSeptember 10, 2013 @ 10:32 am
  26. This Must See Monday was so inspiring! Seeing four, powerful female anchors on stage was such a cool experience. Since I’m from Gilbert, Arizona I’ve seen all these women on television and it was kind of weird hearing them talk about anything besides the daily news.

Linda Williams was by far my favorite of the speakers. She was super funny and made me think she was a real person. Linda stressed humor and good writing which are two things I hope to bring to the table when I pursue a job in the journalism field.

All of the women talked about the importance of juggling work and family. I liked when Catherine Anaya mentioned that she went home for dinner every Monday and Thursday. It makes her job harder because she has less time for all the things she does inbetween shows, but she gets to go and spend time with her children so it’s worth it.

Overall, this Must See Monday was incredible and I can’t wait for the next one.

Kaly NasiffSeptember 10, 2013 @ 12:28 pm
  27. This week’s Must See Monday was an opportunity to meet the “Women of Arizona TV News”. Anchors Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Pena and Linda Williams appeared before a crowd of eager, young journalists and commented candidly on the state of journalism.

A common theme seen was the importance of emotion in journalism and life in general.

“The beauty of the human spirit constantly inspires me,” Pena said.

This was a friendly reminder that journalism is a human business– equally full of joy and mistakes. Whether you are covering the tragedy on Yarnell Hill or a handicapped crossing guard, it is the important to feel; and never forget to hug, according to Williams.

As journalists, we struggle to find perfection in both our work and life which is totally ironic. However, in all that we do, no matter what it is, we must find balance. Anaya mentioned that she goes home twice a week for family dinner. This is commitment. This is passion.

“[W]e want to see that fire in the belly,” Anaya said.

So, charge forth in excellence and truth. These women have been in the business for so long because they are people, not characters. This lecture humanized and gave a female face to journalism. It was refreshing. It was inspiring.

“[J]ust be yourself,” Cooney said.

28. The women from the different Arizona TV news channels really started off Cronkite’s Must See Mondays with a bang. From beginning to end the forum was filled with great insight and advice that really taught me what it takes to get deep into the broadcasting career. I really felt like each woman last night really gave great tips on how to grow as a broadcaster and take your career to the next level.

Everything those women discussed and spoke on last night were great topics, but there are a few that stuck out in my mind while writing this blog. The first thing was when Lin Sue Cooney stressed the importance of being yourself. Cooney said, “Don’t copy other people’s style, just be yourself.” That point is one that many people, including myself, needed to be reminded of last night. Lots of times us young broadcasters watch other veteran broadcasters and try to mold our styles after theirs and at times we tend to copy them exactly. It was good to hear Cooney say that though, because it helped me see that although I am a huge fan of Stuart Scott and other ESPN analysts, I have to be me and only me.

Carey Pena really changed my outlook on the news last night when she spoke about how she feels that there is more good in the world than bad even though the news covers many tragic stories. Pena said, “The beauty of the human spirit really overwhelms me and for every evil-doer in the world, there is twice as many people out here doing good things in the world.”

Lisa Williams really encouraged me as well last night when she said, “Don’t let anyone steal your joy, passion or determination in your journey of this career field.” People always look to bring you down when you are striving for success, but I thought that Williams really helped me see that you can make it in this field if you don’t give up.

I really loved Catherine Anaya’s quote last night when she said that, “When you think you know all there is about this business…it’s time to get out. There is always things to learn in this job.” I feel like if I am constantly looking to learn and grow as a broadcaster, the sky is the limit.

Thank you Cronkite for bringing in such great women filled with wisdom for myself and the other great Cronkite students to learn from.

Ryan HaleSeptember 10, 2013 @ 1:50 pm
  29. Arizona Women of Journalism
    On Monday, September 9th, a group of four women from the local new stations came to speak to the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism. Catherine Anaya (CBS 5), Lin Sue Cooney (NBC 12), Carey Pena (Channel 3), and Linda Williams (Fox 10) appeared on the First Amendment Forum stage to represent the women of the 12th largest media market in the country. They all shared some great insight; here are some of the highlights.
    When the question of “what drives you? A moment that might have inspired you?” was presented to the group of women; all of them had a very similar answer. A moment that inspired all the women, and also a lot of others around the country, was the Yarnell Hill Tragedy. All four of them were able to report on the 19 firefighters killed, and all of them stated that the way the community reacted to the fire and the events that followed was a true telling of the human spirit. They talked about how as journalist we need to be our selves, and in times of tragedy the media should grieve with them. In the case of Yarnell, Carey Pena put it like this; “the beauty of the human spirit makes your job worthwhile.” As a journalist we are people’s inspiration, but we certainly have obstacles to overcome.
    The ladies answered, “What kind of obstacles do you face?” again in a similar way. Lin Sue put it bluntly, her challenge was balancing family and journalism; the others all agreed. Catherine followed it up with, “you have to make sacrifices, and that you must be willing to go the extra mile.” This was a key piece of advice that I took with me as I left the Cronkite Building.

Madalyn HeimannSeptember 10, 2013 @ 1:58 pm
  30. The first Must See Monday was a great discussion with four of the women from the biggest TV news stations in Arizona. Catherine Anaya from CBS 5, Lin Sue Cooney from 12 NEWS, Carey Pena from 3TV and Linda Williams from FOX 10, took the time to pay us a visit. Their advice was phenomenal. I really look up to all these ladies for their determination and kindness. The first topic of night drove emotion out of all the women. Each woman discussed the Yarnell fire and how much they were impacted, just as the community was also. Cooney talked about how impactful it was to grieve with the people of the community. She and the other ladies talked about how the world views reporters. The world tends to view them as insensitive and emotionless. Throughout the events that happened with the Yarnell fire the women were able to show that they had compassion and felt for them. All of the women agreed that they were holding back tears when they were reporting about the fire. This shows how important their job is. They are they to show that people really do care. Pena stated that something that really stood out to her was that even with all of the tradgedy in the world, there is twice as much good that goes on.

One of my favorite topics was the fact of being a woman in the field offers many challenges. Cooney referred to he life as a mother and a news anchor “a juggling act.” It is hard to find time to make sure everything at work gets done and let your kids know that you will be there for them I look up to Catherine Anaya because she admitted that she was not being the best mother that she wanted to be. She then made the time to go home on dinner breaks and cook dinner and do homework with her children. I repspect these women for being able to blance their family life, as well as their career. I know it is already difficult being a woman in the field, but being a mother as well adds a whole other level of “to do’s.”

Anaya emphasized the importance of internships. She said that she really notices the people who are outgoing and asking many questions. She said it is not enough to stay quiet. She talked about how many of the relationships you create early on will continue throughout most of your career. “You never know who will be your boss,” she said.

I admire all four of these ladies. The advice I received will help to make my dreams come true.

Sierra SchulzeSeptember 10, 2013 @ 2:18 pm
  31. For as long as I can remember, my parents would watch Channel 12 News at 10pm. They were singularly loyal to channel 12 News, so I became acquainted with the broadcasts of Lin Sue Cooney. I regret to admit that I hadn’t really heard of the other speakers on the panel. This was an excellent opportunity to learn more about them and the state of Arizona’s broadcasting environment as a whole. Overall, this first Must-See-Monday was highly informative and interesting.

I admired Linda William’s ability to talk about the issues frankly and candidly. When Dr. Alvarez asked what setbacks she had faced in the industry as a woman, she did not hold back. While the other speakers talked about generics like the importance of family and the future of broadcasting, Williams began talking about the actual discrimination she faced. I noticed that after her statements, the other speakers presented similar statements affirming her points.
    I also appreciated Lin Sue Cooney’s remarks on being true to yourself. The best thing an upcoming broadcaster can do is to be authentic. The thought that we should not strive to be exactly like our rolemodels resonated well with me. As an actor, I’ve had difficulty finding who I really am when I’m in front of a camera.

32. The first Must-See Monday of the semester was a discussion and question-answer session with the four most influential women in Arizona TV News. Catherine Anaya (CBS 5), Lin Sue Cooney (12News), Carey Pena (3TV), and Linda Williams were the guests.

One of the most basic and approachable topics covered was that of social media and the journalism workplace. All the women agreed that Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc., are all very important to today’s field because broadcasters are now building a brand, making a name for themselves. The more relatable a TV personality seems, the more viewers the channel will receive. Williams brought up how someone told her they see her in Safeway all the time, but are too nervous to approach her! The group laughed about it, and Anaya finished the conversation saying that viewers should approach them, because after all, they are the “reason” they all are there.

Another emotional topic that was brought up was the Yarnell fire. I am not from Arizona, so I was not as familiar with the tragedy as some of the audience was. I had obviously heard what happened, but the national news stories did not cover the emotional side like these four women did. It was overwhelming to hear their experiences in and around the fire, with the community. The images of firemen breaking down in funerals of their friends breaks my heart. Anaya mentioned how difficult it was to hold her composure. Williams then added how sometimes that isn’t necessary. Much of the community feared having the media so close to them after the event, thinking they would make it impersonal. But, according to Williams, “being able to cry with them, rock them,” made the situation and the stories so much stronger.

As a student at Cronkite, I wanted to hear what I could do to make it as far as them. Pena really emphasized internships and making a name for yourself. Anaya added that we must constantly ask questions and talk to everybody, or else she will wonder “why are they here?”. Cooney and Williams said that we should “friend” or “follow” news directors and start making connections. Last but not least, all the women agreed that after graduation, take ANY job that comes your way.

I was so excited to see this Must-See Monday as a female Cronkite student. All these women are so admirable and its reassuring to know that one day, if I work hard, I can be in their shoes.

Bailey NetschSeptember 10, 2013 @ 2:47 pm
  33. Having watched these women on TV most nights it was a nice change to see them in person and get tips. From the little things like going home for dinner to help balance family to more extreme things like how to deal with a story like Yarnell.

Hearing the story of how the women got their start was also inspirational. It seemed like internships and passion were the key.

I also liked that all of the women had spunk and flaunted it. In fact they said that their personalities were key to getting them hired.

While it’s great to always hear from on air talent I hope that we are able to hear from those behind the scenes later on.

Peyton GallovichSeptember 10, 2013 @ 3:37 pm
  34. The first Must See Monday of the semester was on September 9. The four ladies who were here taking part in the must see monday were from four of the major news organizations here in the valley. The night showed us and gave us a little inside scoop into what occurs daily in the newsroom for broadcast and how these four ladies cope with having to deal with personal issues such as kids.
    What I found so interesting with this presentation was that some of there favorite moments were some of the toughest to report. The Yarnell Hill fire for instance, Catherine Anaya from CBS 5 commented that its hard to contain yourself during the hard times. Hearing that from basically all four of them made me realize that some of the best parts about journalism is the human element. Getting to meet the people who were affected by this fire and how they are dealing with it.
    Finally, the thing that really struck me about this conversation was that they all said that you just have to love what you do and find the one thing inside the career that you love doing no matter what. It’s inspiring in a way because all of them come from different backgrounds, so if all of them love there jobs so most likely anyone who goes into this field will probably feel the same way. All the members of the conversation added such a great perspective about this career path.

Tyler FingertSeptember 10, 2013 @ 3:39 pm
  35. The Must See Monday series at the Cronkite school started September 9 with four special guests: Catherine Anaya from CBS-5, Lin Sue Cooney from 12 News, Carey Pena from 3TV, and Linda Williams from Fox 10.

The discussion began with a general question of “What drives you?” whether it was a specific moment or story. Lin Sue Cooney opened by sharing her experience at Yarnell Hill after the 19 firefighters died. She was excited to be the one sharing their story and showing them how much the Arizona community loves them. That was an example of when “some days [are] more important than others.” Linda Williams added that people expect her to be a “tough, brutish reporter” and don’t expect her to laugh and cry with them.

Another question revealed the opportunities and obstacles that face these four women. Lin Sue and Catherine Anaya’s answers followed the same idea of a balancing act. As mothers, they find ways to cut corners and make it work with their families. Carey Pena noted that social media is changing journalism and to be successful, people need to evolve and work with it.

All of the women stressed the importance of internships. Linda learned what her passion was through her internship as well as how to speak to crowds and interview people. Catherine said to ask questions and talk to people, so they know you’re interested and want to learn. If you educate yourself, like Carey said, that will show through because you’ll know what you’re talking about.

Overall, the women of Arizona TV news gave students insight to what a news reporter’s job is like, and how we can start preparing for our future while Cronkite students.

Jade CrookSeptember 10, 2013 @ 3:45 pm
  36. It is always a pleasure being able to receive complimentary advice from some of the most successful women news anchors in Arizona. It is the kind of advice that resonates throughout your mind and can sometimes leave an impact on your life. Linda Williams, Fox 10, said, “Don’t let anyone steal your joy, passion and determination.” It’s simple words like these that put life into a greater perspective. There will be many people you will face in the course of your life who will give an opinion so hasty that the foundations on which you build your career on might crumble. Catherine Anaya, CBS 5, added a confidence booster, by telling the students to always know where you came from and have a sense of community. Those are some qualities that have kept her in the game for as long as she has been. The anchors stressed on the importance of professional internships. This is because the majority of lessons come from them and you can experience it on a professional level and make great contacts. Carey Pena, 3TV, let us know the importance of being an inquisitive learner at our current or future internships. She mentioned that the person who gets the job is the one who asks questions and acts like a sponge, ready to learn. Another great piece of advice was to not see social media as a distraction, but as a way to brand your own self. Social media has a big impact on news because you can receive the news instantaneously from it. It is important for the anchors to keep up with daily tweets and responses so they can be connected to their community. Overall, sincere connections are one of the most valuable assets a professional can have because it’s assets they will keep.

Tara TerreginoSeptember 10, 2013 @ 4:19 pm
  37. My initial impression on meeting the talented ladies was simply “Wow!” Never in my life did I picture myself actually getting to meet the likes of Lin Sue Cooney, Catherine Anaya, Carey Peña, and Linda Williams. I’ll admit at the beginning I was completely star struck, but as the night progressed I came to the realization that they are just like the everyday working girl. When we see people on TV, we tend to forget that when the camera light is off they are exactly like us. They have to balance out their career and family time just like the rest of us. Just the fact that we get to follow in footsteps of Carey and Linda by being here at ASU, it goes to show that it is possible to make it big. We learned that it’s not always peaches and cream, that there will always be critics, and that more often than not life will be a frenzy. In all these four amazing ladies gave advice that I will forever carry with me.

Maria VasquezSeptember 10, 2013 @ 4:39 pm
  38. Being a sophomore transfer student, I was excited to finally arrive at the Cronkite School to hear from professionals in the business of my major. This was my first “Must See Monday” and I was ecstatic to hear from four women who I listen to on a daily basis to recap the news of the day. The title of this “Must See Monday” was “Meet the Women of Arizona News”, which led me to think the basis of the evening was to be centered on primarily women in journalism and how to be an effective woman journalist. I was pleasantly surprised to hear a lot of the information relate to not only women but men also. Hearing the stories of Lin Sue Cooney, Linda Williams, Catherine Anaya and Carey Pena gave me confidence that with enough effort, any person can achieve their journalistic goals.
    The strong point of the evening in my opinion was Lin Sue Cooney’s advice on creating an image for you and not copying others in the business. This statement struck a chord and made me wonder if I had been copying another broadcasters’ image when I picture myself in the field years down the road. I had always looked at the television and said “I want to be just like them”, their mannerisms, their phrases, everything about them is what I aspired to be. The advice from Lin Sue Cooney of 12 news was incredibly helpful to make myself a better journalist and broadcaster from now into the future. I will try to find my image here at the Cronkite School and nurture my own character to reach its full potential using the many outlets provided here at the Cronkite School.
    My first “Must See Monday” provided essential insight to be a professional journalist and how to strive and achieve the goals that one has before them. I appreciate the four women of Arizona news for taking time out of their extremely busy schedules to talk to us aspiring journalists here at the Cronkite School.

Torrence DunhamSeptember 10, 2013 @ 4:49 pm
  39. Must See Monday: The Women of Arizona TV News

This Must See Monday was one of the most influential and valuable forums I have ever attended at the Cronkite School. It featured four of the most leading and prominent female news anchors located within the 13th largest media market in the country. The speakers included: Catherine Anaya from CBS 5, Lin Sue Cooney from 12 News, Carey Pena from 3TV and Linda Williams from Fox 10.
    This forum was particularly relevant to me because as a Cronkite student and a female, my lifelong dream is to be a major local news anchor within my media market and community. It was touching to see these strong, powerful, influential women living that dream and loving what they do and how they do it.
    At several times during the discussion, the speakers hit upon some particularly significant points. For example, when the women were asked about their most proud and driving moment in their careers, they all answered that it was their coverage of the Yarnell fire and the nineteen deceased firefighters. They all mentioned how it was difficult to maintain their composure, but also thought it was ok to show a more human side to themselves during this report. Linda Williams mentioned that the public expects them to be these robot like, brutish reporters, but in this case, she wasn’t afraid to cry with the families of the deceased and hold them and share that experience in a real way. It is for this reason that I long to be in this position and experience the world, the events in it and the lives in it and possibly make a difference in the community and within people’s lives; not simply with my reporting, but by being another witness to their story.
    In addition, Carey Pena relayed a story about a young girl who approached her once and said how she thought there was so much bad in the world and thought it must be difficult being a reporter and being privy to it every day. Pena responded to her by saying that she felt the exact opposite about society and the world at large. Being a reporter, she has gotten to witness the beauty and strength of the human spirit and how people endure despite what is going on around them. I was glad to hear Pena say this because I often worry that being engulfed in an environment that often centers on the sad, the violent and the detrimental, that my perception of the world and the people in it may change for the worse and become somewhat skeptical and pessimistic. Pena’s point of view shows me how you can either choose to see the negative in the world simply for what it is, or you can focus on the people and how they endure and go on and learn from these experiences.
    Finally, the women discussed how they made it to where they are in the business and what it took to get there. In today’s economy and the highly competitive world of journalism, this is something all Cronkite students should consider; how are they going to make it to where they want to be; how will they get a job? All the women agreed that it takes hard work and fighting and pushing yourself to get there. We should always be enthusiastic and willing to learn and get our hands dirty and fight to show the abilities we know we have. It is also important to have skills outside of your area of focus and be a well-rounded, knowledgeable and capable individual in several, if not every aspect of the business.
    A lesson to take away from the discussion is that journalism is a profession that is always changing and moving forward. We have to be willing to change with it and be willing to continually learn and adapt. In the words of Catherina Anaya, “When you think you know everything there is to know about this business, it’s time for you to get out.”

Alyssa PranoSeptember 10, 2013 @ 5:16 pm
  40. I remember the day I signed up for journalism as my major, and Cronkite as my school, quite clearly: with only fragmentary experience in the field, and never having taken a journalism-designated class in my life, I was choosing this path somewhat blindly, but with a unexplainable sense that I would belong at Cronkite. I knew I had the skill-set of strong writing and a passion for current events, as well as the philosophical convictions about the journalist’s role in society as a public servant, both of which made journalism extremely attractive to the high school senior I was, eager to begin my life’s next chapter. And so far my experience at Cronkite has been relatively positive, though I’ve been significantly intimidated by the amount of experience of the students around me. I’ve felt that even though my freshman year has just begun, I’ve been surrounded by high school newspaper-editors, editorial-columnists, and award-winning reporters with a vast amount of prior experience in field, of which I can only dream. For the first time since I was a high school freshman, I’ve felt substantially insecure, and became unsure if I would be able to catch up with the rest of my classmates.

But last night’s Must-See-Monday changed all that. Seeing these real women, with their own families, backgrounds, and conquered obstacles, it suddenly occurred to me that my unspoken fears about journalism could only be solved by me, and that it was no one’s responsibility but my own to make myself a competitor in this field. Hearing them speak about their experiences covering the Yarnell tragedy, and describing how journalism is nothing but bringing human stories to the light, in order for the public to not only be informed but also more connected, I felt so strongly in agreement to their philosophies that I knew I couldn’t possibly belong in any other degree program. Furthermore, hearing Catherine Anaya stress the need to get involved, and to take advantage of all the incredible opportunities at a school like Cronkite, made me realize that this simple action was the solution to all my current insecurities– I need more experience… then it’s time for me to make my own experiences. I need to believe the words of Linda Williams, when she said with assured conviction, “You can do it!” Following the presentation, I shook the anchors’ hands and thanked them for their inspiration (incredulous that I got to meet AZ news royalty!), and boarded the shuttle to Tempe, where my dorm is located. On the shuttle ride back, I emailed several journalism club directors, asking for any opportunities to get involved, and I’m confident that I will soon be a more connected (and experienced!) member of the Cronkite community. I will make my own success. And last night’s Must-See-Monday taught me this, and I’m so grateful to the four elegant newswomen for teaching me this.

Emily MahoneySeptember 10, 2013 @ 5:38 pm
  41. For the first Must See Monday of the semester Cronkite out did itself. The topic was: Meet the Women of Arizona TV News featuring A panel of on-air anchors featuring Catherine Anaya, KPHO-TV; Lin Sue Cooney, KPNX-TV; Carey Pena, KTVK-3TV; and Linda Williams, KSAZ-TV. They started off the night talking about what makes them proud to be an anchor in this news market. Unanimously the anchors responded with the Yarnell fire. Sue talked about the how moving it was when the people of Yarnell came together as a community. All of the anchors talked about being able to be human with the families, and how people have to realize that they are people too.
    The next topic of the night was obstacles in the workplace. All of the speakers were women and had similar answers. The first thing they all agreed on was the balance of family and career. This is a struggle for women everywhere and not just in the Phoenix news market. Williams touched on being able to create your own path and to not follow the norm. She said the reason she goes to work everyday is not the fact that she is going to be on TV, but it’s the simple fact that she loves to write. All four ladies talked about being passionate about their jobs or at least some aspect of your job.
    Lessons that they took away from their career path were the importance of internships and connections you have. Anaya stressed the importance of internships because of the connections and networking that you gain. Working hard and being versatile are the most important aspects of being an intern.

Abby DuganSeptember 10, 2013 @ 5:58 pm
  42. At this year’s very first Must See Monday, Cronkite students were able to get up close and personal with the women anchors of Arizona TV news. Catherine Anaya (from CBS 5), Lin Sue Cooney (12 News), Carey Pena (3TV), and Linda Williams (Fox 10) all spoke about the trials of being a woman in broadcast journalism, as well as its rewards.

The panel gave insight to their audience about almost every aspect of the work they do. From their goals as college students, to where and how they got their first start in the business, and even how they balance their personal lives with their busy work schedules. All four women offered their own advice about how to make it in a career in journalism. One of the most important pieces I heard was from Lin Sue Cooney, who said simply, “Be yourself.” She encouraged us to embrace every detail of our personalities because its those details that set us apart. This especially stood out to me. Another aspect I was not expecting to hear about was the harships of balancing personaly life with a such a fast paced, busy career. I found this interesting because I feel we often forget that these women are also wives and mothers.

Personally, as a journalism who has yet to decide between print and broadcast, the panel gave me new information and a feeling of personal connection to anchors that I had not encountered before. Linda Williams mentioned that she loves to write, and always has, and that this is what got her her first start. Being torn between print and broadcast, this nudged me towards broadcast because I love to write as well. Overall, it was amazing to see how incredibly driven these women are, and were when they were in the same boat as the audience. Each one of them was once a college student too, and knowing this inspires me to stay driven, and become successful in this field like the women I saw Monday night.

Monica AvilaSeptember 10, 2013 @ 6:23 pm
  43. Last night’s Must See Monday was titled “Meet The Women of Arizona TV News,” and included anchor women Catherine Anaya from CBS 5, Lin Sue Cooney from 12 News, Carey Pena from 3 TV and Linda Williams from FOX 10.
    They were asked questions about their experiences with the first question being what was their most amazing experience. They all agreed the Yarnell Fire was an amazing experience because they were touched by it. Williams said when they got there, she cried and hugged the people and got a better understanding. The next question was about the obstacles they have to face as women during their career, and Cooney said juggling a family – not just journalists have that struggle, but all working mothers. Anaya said to remember that the happier you are in your personal life, the happier you are in your professional life. She also said she learned the most from internships. Pena’s advice when she was going through school was just to be herself and not to say you want to be someone else. When asked about social media, Cooney said that everything is instantaneous now and no longer do people have to call and then wait for a call back, they can just go directly to Twitter.
    I’m not a broadcast major, but the four women were still so inspiring and had amazing advice to guide me on my journalism career path.

Michelle MilanSeptember 10, 2013 @ 6:28 pm
  44. Time to see that #CronkMSM hashtag take over social media.
    The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communications hosted their first Must See Monday of the year on September 9 in the First Amendment Forum with a panel of four female Arizona TV anchors, moderated by the Cronkite School’s very own Melanie Alvarez, the Executve Producer of Cronkite Newswatch. The panel consisted of Lin Sue Cooney (12 News), Catherine Anaya (CBS 5), Carey Pena (3TV) and Linda Williams (Fox 10).
    Personally, I do not plan to be involved in broadcast. However, my choice for print over broadcast did not shroud my attention during this occasion. I thought that each woman was very unique in her own way yet equally inspiring. In addition, it was interesting to see how all these women started at a similar level of experience when compared to where the Cronkite students are now. They shared memorable ideas, advice, events and more all within about an hour and a half. Although, there were a few things that I will remember and take away with me for my journalistic career.

Catherine Anaya said my favorite quote of the night; Anaya mentioned that “people will bend over backwards to help you.” I believe she is right, and I can evidently see it throughout the Downtown Phoenix campus. Peers can help you with studies, professors want to know your name and your talents to offer advice and mentors and counselors offer various opportunities for people to succeed. I’m lucky enough to say that I owe so much to someone that recently gave me words of encouragement. For example, I am involved in the Cronkite Mentorship program, and my mentor is Michael Kiefer, the courts correspondent of the Arizona Republic. So far, Kiefer has offered fantastic advice and made time to meet me at the Arizona Republic for my articles with the Downtown Devil. Since I walked onto ASU, I have seen nothing but people “bending over backwards” to help, and I hope I am doing the same.

Thanks to the Cronkite School’s Must See Monday event, I have seen four amazing TV anchors, heard new motivational quotes, and found pride in two new Twitter followers (Catherine Anaya and Carey Pena). I cannot wait to see the next events to come. Mondays will become my most favorite days thanks to Must See Mondays.

45. Woman in Media News
    Jessie Stone

The “Woman in Media News,” was especially interesting to me because I am a woman and I will be diving into the media very soon. However, before I started attending Cronkite, I took a tour of the school and met a few faculty members, I remember hearing about the “Must See Monday,” events and thinking to myself back then that it was something I was really interested in attending. After this first Monday I could not be any more impressed. These women and I all share some of the same core values and that to me made them more relatable. Lin Sue Cooney had mentioned that she always tries to say exactly what the story is, not building up or putting down the people in those stories. Catherine Anaya commented on that point as well and said that television is transparent; you have to be the one that ensures your own credibility. This was good advice to young journalists’ who aspire where there are now and again their advice came from the heart and you can see that they’re real people.
    The thing that struck me the most was when Linda Williams was talking about passion. She expressed her thoughts by directing us to follow our passion and don’t let anyone take our fire away from us. We hold the future for ourselves in our hands and she noted to always persevere. As a woman that has gone through a lot of work to get to where she is now, she is someone that now a lot of young females as well as some males look up to. My passion is to someday become America’s leading female sports broadcaster and after hearing these woman talk it made me feel that my dreams are becoming tangible in reality.

Jessie StoneSeptember 10, 2013 @ 9:09 pm
  46. I am a transfer student so this was my first “Must See Mondays” event that I have attended. Getting the chance to hear the women of Arizona TV News talk about their experiences within the field was very informative and exciting to me. The women talked about their obstacles that they have to encounter with their job. One of their obstacles is balancing their career with their family life. Another one included the harsh comments they received before entering the career. An example was when Linda Williams was told that her eyes were to close together to make it in the industry. The women went on to talk about lessons they have learned from their college days. The most important one mentioned was internships. They said take internships seriously, ask questions and be involved. The women covered many other topics throughout the session. I believe this was an important event to go to because they have been where we are and know what and how to get to the next step. I learned a lot and was grateful that they took time out of their busy schedule to come talk to us.

Megan StalbaumSeptember 10, 2013 @ 9:32 pm
  47. One major takeaway from this Must See Monday was that as a woman in the industry I can’t just take the path laid out before me. I have to make my own path and make my dream come true. Women and other minorities still have a long way to go to prove that they belong and as women we can not sit there and take it. We have to push and shove and “keep the fire burning in our bellies”, as Catherine Anaya said. I find this extremely motivating because this is advice I can take into any thing I am apart of. The fact of the matter is that women still struggle in almost every aspect of life to be shown equality.

I found it shocking that even with how competitive journalism is, the reporters still work together to get the story. Or at least they don’t step on each others toes to get the one up on each other. I always thought that journalism was one of the most cut-throat industries out there. They hope for the best for each other and focus on their reporting, not how to be the first.

My favorite quote of the night was by Carey Pena: “No one can teach you how to be smart.” She was referring to how to handle pressure. Her advice was to focus and learn on the fly because no one can teach you how to be good at what you do.

CBS 5, Catherine Anaya
    12 News, Lin Sue Cooney
    3TV, Carey Pena
    Fox 10, Linda Williams

Asia PooleSeptember 10, 2013 @ 9:38 pm
  48. Hearing From Arizona’s Anchorwomen
    By Catt Lovins

Heads down, light chatting, and the sound of fingertips scuttling across computer keyboards and cell phone screens ushered in the first Must-See Monday of the Fall 2013 semester. The First Amendment Forum of the Cronkite Building at Arizona State University’s (ASU) downtown campus was packed on Monday, September 9th as Cronkite students eagerly awaited to hear from the anchorwomen of Arizona. Catherine Anaya from CBS 5, Lin Sue Cooney from 12 News, Carey Pena from KTVK-3TV, and Linda Williams from Fox 10 made up the evening’s panel.

Throughout the session, each of the ladies discussions on their career journeys, daily schedules, and the ups and downs of media provided greater insight to students than any textbook. Even Linda Williams mentioned that while she may have forgotten most of the book-smart knowledge from her college studies, she certainly remembers the intangible things and the experiences she had, which is what ultimately carried her through her career.

However, the best part of the entire session was seeing how human these women are and how much they love their work. Each discussed the difficulties in balancing work and family, but expressed their passion for the work that they do. Which was clearly seen as they tweeted before, during, and after the session as well as responded to tweets sent in by students in the audience. (Lin Sue Cooney even replied to mine and Carey Pena now follows me.)

Inspiring, to say the least, is what that night was for Cronkite students. Male or female, freshman or senior, the audience of future journalists left with encouragement from Arizona’s finest newswomen.

Catt LovinsSeptember 10, 2013 @ 9:51 pm
  49. While I am not immediately interested in broadcast, I found the speakers at tonight’s Must See Monday panel to be interesting, intelligent, funny and compelling women. I wasn’t raised in Arizona so I did not grow up watching these women on television, however when I got back to my dorm room I watched a couple clips of each women and I heartedly agree each women earned their place on that panel in spades. Integrity and perseverance define their careers and it was very inspirational to hear their stories in person. My favorite antidote was from Carey Pena, anchor from Channel 3. She recounted how she essentially “hired herself” right out of her first internship. This story inspired me and reminded me to take risks and be bold in my studies and career. The most interesting discussion topic was the integration of social media into broadcast. This has been a huge topic of discussion lately and I found it valuable to hear about this controversy from those actively working in the field. Overall I found the lecture to be fun, exciting and insightful. I am very excited for next week!

Claire CaulfieldSeptember 10, 2013 @ 10:26 pm
  50. The Women in Media segment was particularly interesting to me because I soon will be a woman in the media as well. It was great to see women that I’ve grown up watching on television tell me and explain to me how they made their way to the top. I believe that it is inspiring to me being an Arizonan and a Cronkite student listening to these women, some of which went to Cronkite themselves, shows that a lot of hard work can take you to the highest of places. There were some aspects of the speech that were inspiring, like how some of the broadcasters convinced their way into the broadcast studio by showing their perseverance & their skill constantly. That is something I took to heart because it’s a constant question that I have of “how do I make it known that I have something that a lot of others don’t have?” One aspect of the panel that I wish was touched on was the fact that in broadcast, most women are seen as a ‘pretty face reading a script’. I was curious about how they proved that they were not only a pretty face, but a true talent that demands to be respected. Overall I found the Women in Media segment helpful and involving and I cannot wait to see next week’s Must See Monday.

Amanda LubertoSeptember 10, 2013 @ 10:51 pm
  51. Regardless of occupation, it can be difficult balancing work and family for any female in society… but for female journalists, the challenge is almost unmatched. The obstacles are ever-present: long hours and tight deadlines can often make for missed birthdays, lunch breaks, and family dinners. Decades ago, female anchors and reporters were scarce; both American news directors and viewers percieved them as belonging in the domestic sphere, outside of any kind of societal authority.

But now, all that is changing. As explained at the Cronkite School’s first Must See Monday event, “Meet the Women of Arizona TV News”, the TV news atmosphere is quickly progressing, making it more and more to make it possible for women to have both a family and a successful career in broadcast television. CBS 5′s Catherine Anaya, NBC 12′s Lin Sue Cooney, 3TV’s Carey Pena and FOX 10′s Linda Williams did an excellent job in describing not only the day-to-day challenges of being a female anchor/reporter, but the rewarding and fulfilling opportunities they bring.

One of the most compelling points of their talk was their recollection of covering the Yarnell fire and the hotshot firefighter tragedy. In the words of Lin Sue Cooney, covering the event was moving because it highlighted a compassionate community that reflected how we all as humans come together in tragedy. All four women agreed that while covering tragedy can be very difficult, beauty comes from it. “For every evil doer, there are twice as many people to step in,” Carey Pena pointed out.

The women also gave insightful advice to never copy someone else as an aspiring reporter. In their words, being authentic will do far more good for your career than trying to emulate another journalist.

Overall, the four women gave an informative talk that inspired me, as well as dozens of other student female reporters at the Cronkite School! I look forward to meeting them in my internships and further communicating with them about the keys to a successful career as journalist.

52. The four ladies of Arizona TV news: Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Pena and Linda Williams basked under a yellow stage-light glow in the First Amendment Forum for Must See Monday, looking polished and camera-ready. Their pristine smiles and perfectly crossed legs set them apart from the drabness of reality—then they began to talk. Speaking on topics ranging from breaking-into-the-business anecdotes to starting Twitter and managing a family, each woman transformed before my eyes, stepping out of the television screen I had forever encapsulated them in, and becoming just as human as every college student surrounding me.

While the information these ladies provided was insightful, it was their dynamic and body language that spoke even greater volumes. Anaya’s warmth, Cooney’s poise, Pena’s light-heartedness and Williams’ genuineness all made for an inspiring Must See Monday. Even more so, the congenial interaction that was apparent between these four women, towards each other, was especially gratifying to witness. In a field of work often considered cutthroat, these four ladies killed only with kindness and demonstrated a passion, not for being better than one another, but for being the best journalists they themselves could be.

Kristy WestgardSeptember 10, 2013 @ 11:42 pm
  53. Must See Monday couldn’t have started out on a better note. The women of Arizona TV News were four extremely awe-inspiring individuals. Every student in the room was given hope for their future in the broadcast journalism industry. The dream of becoming an anchor seemed more realistic and even better than before. First off, the women discussed the memorial for the nineteen firefighters who perished in a fire that occurred earlier this year. It was nice to hear that the women were able to break free from more of a professional air and transition to being sympathetic and compassionate participants in the grieving. Next, Catherine Anaya mentioned Barbara Walters once said that with this job there is an imbalance between family and career. Catherine told the Cronkite students that she realized she needed to be home at least twice a week to have dinner with her children. At that moment it hit me with just how demanding this field can be. Lin Sue Cooney backed up Catherine’s statement by adding it is a demanding job with long hours and finding the balance between career and family is the biggest challenge. This was great advice to think about for planning my future. Some important tips for making a path in this business came from Linda Williams. She said, “Don’t let anyone steal your joy”. I liked this quote because it shows if you believe in yourself, you can be a happy person who doesn’t let any negativity stand in the way of reaching greatness. She also encouraged a sense of humor and to keep things light when appropriate. Carey Pena advised to really get involved in your internships. If you’re curious and ask questions, it shows you care and really want to be there. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the women of Arizona TV News. I now have four new role models to look up to as I attempt to achieve my dreams of becoming a news anchor.

Katy BurgeSeptember 11, 2013 @ 12:32 am
  54. The women of Arizona TV news visited Cronkite for the first “Must See Monday”. Catherine Anaya, Linda Williams, Carey Pena, and Lin Sue Cooney all proved to be entertaining and informative hosts. Throughout the panel, the audience could really get a sense of the passion that these women have for their job and for news. It was not only inspiring but encouraging because they all came from humble beginnings. The idea that we need to overachieve in every stage of our lives to accomplish our goals proved to be a concept that didn’t seem occur to these women.

Essentially, they gave us Cronkite students a couple keys to success. First off, they made sure to emphasize that anyone can become a broadcaster if that is what he or she wants to do. The trick is to work hard at becoming both a better writer and a better speaker. it was also pointed out that we must be good journalists in order to become good broadcasters. i think that this lesson is especially important given the often insufficient journalistic standards we seen of commentators on TV. Finally, they made sure to accentuate the importance of passion. Each of the women who presented to us had passion. According to them, if we have genuine passion, the other components of success fall into place. I thought that the emphasis on passion was especially moving because I agree with that sentiment. Successful people aren’t the most intelligent. Rather, they are the ones who are willing to work past the obstacles.

On a somewhat different note, I was pleasantly surprised at how the issues facing female broadcasters are many of the same issues that would face male broadcasters. Although the presenters did point out that there are still specific obstacles facing women in journalism, the playing field has at least evened out to the point where talent and hard work takes a precedent over gender. While there is still a ways to go, it is encouraging that bias didn’t seem to be a huge obstacle in their path towards achieving their goals.

Agnel PhilipSeptember 11, 2013 @ 1:02 am
  55. Although I am more interested in print journalism than I am broadcast, I was very excited about attending the first Must See Monday event of the year. Having grown up in Arizona, the names Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Pena and Linda Williams were household names for my family. It was a real honor to be able to hear these women speak to Cronkite students and provide words of wisdom for the many future journalists that sat in the audience. I really enjoyed hearing about what these women love about the business they are in. Each woman told a touching story about their favorite news piece they have covered to date; what Ms. Pena said about seeing the beauty of the human spirit when speaking holding interviews with people really stuck out to me. Hearing them discuss how rewarding this profession can be made me all the more confident with my decision to study journalism. The most valuable advice that was given, in my opinion, was that regarding succeeding in this business; some of this advice included finding your passion, taking internships seriously, picking up multiple talents, finding what gives you an edge and not letting anyone tell you you can’t succeed in this business. I am so thankful I was able to hear what these women had to say to this year’s Cronkite students. This panel of very talented speakers has definitely excited me for the rest of this semester’s Must See Monday events.

Samantha StullSeptember 11, 2013 @ 1:31 am
  56. I really enjoyed the first Must See Monday of the school year featuring the women of Phoenix news. The anchors Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Pena, and Linda Williams were awesome to listen to. The session was filled with a lot of interesting stories and advice. Some pieces of advice stood out the most. One thing that they said that I’ve heard over and over again, is having something that makes you stand out. The field is very competitive and a lot of people will have very similar things on their resumes. I’ve heard over and over again how important it is to have something that sets you apart from the rest, something unique. I also liked the quote “When you think you know everything about the business, it’s time to get out. Be a sponge and soak up everything”. The quote emphasizes the importance of being hands on and engaged. It’s important to be constantly learning and improving. The advice about branding yourself on twitter was also useful. Along with the advice the overall night was inspiring. The women had to face an uphill battle just because of their sex. But they overcame the challenge, making their way to the top.

Brendan CohenSeptember 11, 2013 @ 3:24 am
  57. The anchorwomen who command the news desks at four stations in the nation’s 13th largest media market took to The Cronkite School’s stage Monday evening to discuss career and family balance.

Catherine Anaya from CBS 5, Lin Sue Cooney from 12News, Carey Pena from 3TV, and Linda Williams from Fox 10 spoke to a packed crowd in the school’s First Amendment Forum.

“The bulk of my lessons came from internships,” said Anaya.

Pena also emphasized internships, recounting a story where she truly hired herself into her first work position in 3TV’s newsroom off an internship by accidentally accepting it before it was offered.

“I was bound and determined to get that job,” said Pena.

All the women explained the delicate balance and compromises made by a woman in broadcast news, but the many rewarding experiences and why they do what they love.

Perhaps some of the best advice came from Williams.

“People will say the craziest things as you go through this journey, and it’s your job to say well, we’ll see out that. The stuff we’ve heard? We could write a book. It would make you mad.”

But Williams said to find something other than a love of the on-air light, because the glamour of being on TV will go away.

“For me? It’s writing, still, after all theses years. I love it.”

58. Meet the women of Arizona TV News….featuring Catherine Anaya, CBS 5; Lin Sue Cooney, 12 News; Carey Pena, 3TVl and Linda Williams, Fox 10…moderated by Melanie Alvarez, lecturer and executive producer, Cronkite NewsWatch

One of the first questions asked of these women were of the challenges facing them as women in this career field. As an older woman myself, I could relate to all of their responses as I’ve had to juggle my time as well. Here is what they had so say…
    Lin Sue Cooney….balancing career with family, it’s a juggling act. No matter what a woman’s job is, it’s something that you have to juggle constantly between work and family. Her husband travels for work as well, and when she had to leave for several days to Yarnell, she had to figure out where the kids would stay.

Catherine Anaya….sometimes when you just stand up for what you want to do, people will work around you.. She started going home every Mon and Tue night for dinner with her family, and now people work around her, they know what she does and they haven’t stopped her from doing this.

Carey Pena….she says to map out your plan/future and make it happen. Social media is evolving and is growing and changing in ways we don’t even know what’s going to happen.

Linda Williams…..there will always be people that will tell you something wrong with your body/face and don’t let them stand in your way…..don’t let anyone steal your joy or steal your passion in this business.

They all said that in order to succeed you need to be sincere or real and that you need to be yourself. Never lose yourself or it will show and people won’t respond well.

My personal favorite story told was by Lin Sue Cooney when asked what her favorite story was that she had done. She responded that it would be easy to say a President or Senator or even a celebrity. Those, she said, were usually about a situation and not the person, so those never stand out at the end of the day. The one she remembered was of a crossing guard who had to pull himself over gravel and dirt to get from his house to his chair to go to the corner for the kids, and then do the same to get back into his home. When they told the story, the community, along with some businesses, donated time, money and materials to not only build him a ramp, but a deck so he could sit outside and enjoy being home as well as getting to his job on the corner. No one knew the sacrifice he made every day to get to the corner, and because of the story, everyone pitched in. Those are the stories that make them realize that there really is more good in the world than bad.

These were inspiring women and they were kind enough to take the time to spend with many after the discussion and talk with them and take pictures. This was a great way to start the semester off for Must See Mondays!

Sandy BalazicSeptember 11, 2013 @ 8:37 am
  59. The First Amendment Forum was graced by the presence of four very talented broadcasting ladies last Monday Night. The women, Carey Pena, Lin Sue Cooney, Linda Williams, and Catherine Anaya chatted with Cronkite students about their lives as broadcasters, the changing roles in media, and balancing life and work, as well as departing some inspirational messages to the future of journalism gathered there. When asked about the tragedy depicted on the news, Carey Pena shared how she still believed in the good in humanity saying, “I feel that the beauty of the human spirit constantly overwhelms me.” This quote resonated with me, as it reinforces the idea that there can still be positivity even when covering horrific and tragic stories. I also found Pena, Cooney, Williams and Anaya’s exchanges about originality in the industry inspirational. Linda Williams said, “People will say the craziest things as you go through this journey” and “don’t let anyone steal your joy or passion” and I think this showcased her positive outlook which may have aided to her longevity in this field. Overall, it was an amazing experience.

Samantha ShotzbargerSeptember 11, 2013 @ 8:56 am
  60. The Must See Monday featuring the women of the four major news stations was really interesting and informative. Lin Sue Cooney, Catherine Anaya, Carey Pena, and Linda Williams’ advice for people, especially other women, getting into the news industry was very helpful and I will use a lot of the applicable advice in the future. Their anecdotes about their professional careers were interesting and I learned a lot about what it means to be a TV news anchor by listening to these four women speak about their lives. I liked how they mentioned the balancing of family and work and how some of them go home for dinner often so they can spend time with their families. It showed they have more to value in life other than their careers. Their individual experiences in Yarnell in the aftermath of the deaths of the firefighters was also moving. They were kind of a way for the rest of the state and country to reach out to lend their support for the town and the families of the victims.

Matthew TonisSeptember 11, 2013 @ 9:30 am
  61. I always enjoy this particular Must See Monday because these women of Arizona television news have such interesting insights on the industry. While as journalists it is easy to get carried away in our work and forget about being happy human beings, these ladies stressed the importance of having a happy personal life that in turn influences a happy professional life. At the same time, they understand how hard a career in television journalism can be and reminded students to be both motivated and inspired, and that just a positive attitude can open career paths and opportunities.
    What struck me some time after listening to the panel was that each woman said how much she loved her job. Obviously we are all going into journalism for a reason; I myself am very excited for my career in the media. But the strenuous day-to-day aspect of “getting there” can be hard. It was nice to hear from professionals that it’s all worth it.

Andrew RomanovSeptember 11, 2013 @ 10:03 am
  62. “The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
    While eager, bright-eyed students rushed to meet the four women of Arizona television news that instilled hope and the will to succeed to almost every student present Monday night, I sat in my chair – dumbfounded.
    I knew I should be trying to show the “fire in my belly” as Catherine Anaya of CBS 5 would call it, and somehow make a lasting impression like the majority of students were attempting. I, on the other hand, simply could not grasp the idea that had presented itself to me during the motivational insight into the career of a successful, female journalist. .
    Most people would say that the journalism industry is growing, and I would agree. However, a week ago I would’ve argued that the wider it spreads the smaller relationship is built between viewer and journalist. Walter Cronkite, as many of us know, was a journalist who built his reputation as a public figure through objectivity and the ability to relate well with a mass audience. Due to technological advances, there are a variety of ways to get the news. In effect, this makes journalists unable to form relations with the community, such as Cronkite was able. Then – realization hit me in the face like a pile of bricks. These advances allow a new way for journalists to connect with their audience, in a manner such as never before.
    Social media has developed a way for journalists to create relationships with their audience. Carey Pena of 3TV would agree as she stated during Must See Monday, “I like the connectivity [of Twitter.]” Perhaps, it may never be to the degree of Walter Cronkite who was viewed by virtually every family that owned a television in America. However, there is salvation to the journalist and viewer relationship.
    This idea is simple, and to many individuals an idea that has little to no impact other than a small realm of fame. However, the velocity is not in being well-known, but once again being able to be a pillar and figurehead to the community. It gives journalists the power to inspire individuals and build a relation that is fairly new to the industry. Catherine Anaya describes herself, in the words of an acquaintance, as someone who “speaks community, she speaks passion, she speaks someone who very much cares about where she came from.” At that moment, I was excited for the technological advances of journalism like never before.
    The new role of journalists in our society as community representatives and public figures correlates with the innovative, technological times. This idea was made apparent when the woman of Arizona news began remarking on their fondness for social media websites, such as Twitter, as it allows them to form a personal relationship with the viewers. The idea, although simple, took me by surprise as I had already developed the idea that a journalist’s only effect on a community was the news that they deliver. I had previously saw technology hindering the relations between journalists and society members. Now, due to the wonderful insight of Must See Monday’s guests of honor, I eagerly await technological expansion in journalism like never before.

Kennedy ScottSeptember 11, 2013 @ 10:11 am
  63. Listening to the Women of Arizona News talk, almost brought me to tears. Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Pena and Linda Williams were all so real, rather than just the talking head we’re used to seeing on television. It was extremely difficult to hear them talk about Yarnell. Hearing Cooney trying to hold back her tears helped me realize that these ladies are human too. Williams touched base on this as well, saying that most people expect us reporters to be mean and rude. When they visited Yarnell to cover the fire, they comforted the victims and families, which helped them better understand each other. It builds my drive even more to become a reporter and help change the way people look at news.

One thing that a few of them said really took me by surprise. I currently intern at Right This Minute and I personally know Phil Alvidrez. His name was mentioned quite a few times on Monday night by Pena and Williams. Alvidrez was the man who gave them a shot and helped them get their careers started. Knowing that now, I am feeling truly blessed that I have those great connections and networks in my life.

Jordan YoungSeptember 11, 2013 @ 10:55 am
  64. The first Must See Monday featured a panel of four anchorwomen of Arizona news including Catherine Anaya, CBS 5; Lin Sue Cooney, 12 News; Carey Pena, KTVK-3TV; and Linda Williams, Fox 10. The room was a full house, packed with student journalists looking for inspiration. The panel delivered.
    Each question moderated by Melanie Alvarez was answered by all of the women with great passion. Their remarks included insight on how they got to where they are today to how much time and effort goes into being a news anchor. A common theme was joy and excitement to do their job, no matter how many hurdles they have to take.
    Upon leaving the event, I felt truly inspired and motivated to chase after my dreams. Anaya had great advice about internships and how important they become in the future; Williams added she learned all the intangible things from interning. Another bit that stuck with me was to have qualities that set you apart, not to just copy someone else’s style.

Kourtney SeatonSeptember 11, 2013 @ 12:38 pm
  65. Rachel Lund
    I was pleasantly surprised by my first Must See Monday experience. I have very little desire to be in front of the camera in my career, so I wasn’t’ sure that these women would have advice that strictly pertained to me. Regardless, I found myself so inspired by the experiences these women shared and the struggles they daily overcome.
    I was particularly inspired when they talked about fighting their way to the top despite criticism. After being accepted into this program, my well-meaning father kept dropping hints about my weight. I have always been, and will probably always be obese. My father wasn’t judging, he was making comment on the judgments I will likely find heaped upon me from those in an industry often dictated by societal definition of beauty. Having fought against this prejudice my whole life, I assured him it was nothing new and that I was going to succeed no matter what. But when I am honest with myself, I wonder if being in front of the camera isn’t my goal because I have not been as strong as these women are.
    In the end I believe what they said in that everyone has their own path. One thing I am very good at is being myself; it is all I know how to be. Take it or leave it, this is what you get.

Rachel LundSeptember 11, 2013 @ 1:45 pm
  66. Monday, I was fortunate to listen to Catherine Anaya, Lin Sure Cooney, Carey Pena, and Linda Williams discuss their lives as reporters and anchors. Although I am a male, I still found the information they discussed highly interesting and useful. Hearing women as respected in the field as they are talk about the things that they felt important in reaching the level of success they have is exponentially useful seeing as I also want to become a broadcaster. Their emphasis on being thirsty for knowledge and the hard work that is involved is definitely something that I took away from Monday’s event. When the topic of Twitter came up, I was honestly shocked that they felt that social networks are so critical to being a journalist. They all felt strongly about the importance of Twitter and how it forced them all to stay on their toes and connected with the public. They were all very inspiring, and their advice to be unique was a point I really took to heart. I hope to take all the advice they gave that night forward with me to be as successful as possible in the broadcasting field.

Zac PaclebSeptember 11, 2013 @ 2:32 pm
  67. Megan Guthrie
    “Must See Monday Reflection”

I was excited to see the “Must See Monday” event titled, “Meet the Women of Arizona TV News.”

With a focus on broadcast, this female led discussion on being successful in TV news was of particular interest to me.

The panel discussion featured anchors, Catherine Anaya, CBS 5; Lin Sue Cooney, 12 News; Carey Pena, KTVK-3TV; and Linda Williams, Fox 10 and was moderated by Melanie Alvarez.

Below are a few of the notes that I took during the discussion:
    -Obstacles for young women in journalism: balancing your career with your family. You are the primary caretaker at home and you are out there still slugging it out in the work force.
    -The happier you are in your personal life, the happier you are in your professional life and that’s when you find that balance.
    -Everyone has their own path. You have to map out your own path and how to achieve that path.
    -I have found this career path to be exciting, interesting, challenging.
    -It is an amazing career field.
    -What is the future of broadcasting? Is it a legitimate career? Yes, it is absolutely! It is just evolving with social media.
    -You are in a path that is interesting because it can take you in so many directions.
    -People will say the craziest things through this journey and it is your job to say, ‘oh, we will see about that”
    -Don’t let anyone A steal your joy and B steal your passion and determination to make it in this business.
    -I can’t stress enough how important internships are to your future.
    -Figure out what your passion is.
    -Be yourself.
    -We want to see that fire in the belly; it reminds us of when we started out.
    -Take those internships seriously because those relationships sometimes will last your entire career.
    -Social media is huge and it is changing.
    -It is important to brand yourself now and build on that brand and twitter is the perfect way to do that.
    -You can figure out how to be on TV, but no one can teach you to be smart.
    -If you conduct yourself with grace and poise you will get that back.

Megan GuthrieSeptember 11, 2013 @ 2:38 pm
  68. Meet the Women of Arizona TV News

Being a first-generation immigrant always made me wonder if I should consider a career in journalism in the Spanish rather than the English media. After attending the must see Mondays event, “ meet the woman of Arizona TV News,” I notice how much more diversity there is in the media now, compared to years back. Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Pena and Linda Williams all have very diverse backgrounds. Lin Sue Cooney from 12 news described her job as a public service job. All four women agreed that one of the obstacles in this career is being a woman and having to choose your career or a family or juggling through both. Carey Pena who works for 3TV News was also a student at Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication. “ This path can take you to so may places, “she said. I was very inspired by Linda Williams’s high energy and positivity. In this industry there will be a lot of criticism and many doubters, but like Linda said, “ Don’t let anyone steal your joy, if we had listen we wouldn’t be here.” We all know that hard work and determination pays off but when they asked these four ladies what led them to success, they all had a different response. Catherine Anaya said being involved in the community, having passion and not forgetting where she came from. “ Being sincere when I interview people,” was Cooney’s response to the question. Pena describes it as having fun and keep being interested. Williams said that having a sense of humor and not being afraid to hug people were very important qualities in her success. As we know Journalism is taking a different turn since social media has become very popular. The four ladies agreed that social media is part of their daily job. “ They expect us to use social media as part of our job,” Anaya said. As a future broadcast journalist I was very inspired to hear that these four journalists dreams have become a reality. They are the perfect example of ordinary people who make extraordinary things.

Tips for future journalists
    • Educate yourself
    • Know what you are talking about
    • Love what you do
    • Juggle your work
    • Don’t take the easy road

Maria Adriana BarajasSeptember 11, 2013 @ 4:25 pm
  69. The first Must-See-Monday of this school year featured four prominent women in the field of broadcast journalism in Arizona. In an exciting tell-all event, Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Pena and Linda Williams outlined their tips for success and shared advice with us for reaching the top in such a competitive field. Some of the necessities in interviews and during internships that the women stressed were truly being yourself and showing off your personality. Linda Williams cracked jokes throughout the interview, stating that she believed her personality was what launched her into broadcast journalism and got her all of the opportunities so far. The women also discussed social media and what a key roal it has in their job today. Unlike ever before, anchors are now responsible for having their own sites and posting things on them regularly. Catherine Anaya then gave us a run through of a typical day in her life; besides sounding incredibly thrilling and exciting, her schedule also intimidated me somewhat because of the extreme workload and responsiblities she described. The ladies reassured us, however, that the stress is well worth it to do something that you love every single day. I really enjoyed meeting and listening to all of the women!

Nadaa KemmouSeptember 11, 2013 @ 4:26 pm
  70. The first, “Must See Monday” of this academic year was a great one to witness. Seeing these four wonderful women in journalism was a great experience. Even as a male, I thought that they had valuable information that I could apply in my style of reporting. Catherine Anaya from CBS 5 gave great information on balancing your personal life and your professional life. Lin Sue Cooney of 12 News preached about making a difference in the community and how social media has changed the journalism field. Carey Pena from 3TV talked about really getting involved early and as often as possible. Linda Williams of Fox 10 talked about having your own personality in this field and being able to learn different aspects of journalism like writing, weather, or producing so that you can stand out to high executives of major news corperations. Overall, each woman was very informative and all of them touched on important aspects as a journalist we should all have. A great way to start off the year with these four women coming and talking to the students.

Eli BurkSeptember 11, 2013 @ 4:43 pm
  71. Women of Arizona TV

The first Cronkite Must See Monday consisted of four successful journalists and a room filled with eager students.
    One of the first questions asked was: “What has given you that drive to carry on that love your for job as a journalist?” and as they all answered a common theme manifested between the four journalists. Each woman related remarkable moments in their career to a time in which a community came together for a greater cause- a time in which the good in people triumphed the bad. Going into journalism, one of my biggest fears was that the stories in which expose the evil in mankind, rather than the good, would consume my faith and positive outlooks on life. Therefore, as each of them continuously amplified that those kinds of moments solidify their career a sense of validation and excitement washed over me entirely.
    Another question that was asked, “What are some qualities that set them apart as journalists?” was a question I greatly enjoyed. As Catherine, Lin, Carey, and Linda answered, they all continued to emphasize the importance of staying true to who you are. As cliché as it sounds, it was something I deeply appreciated. As aspiring journalists, one of the biggest questions we face is what kind of qualities we want to have as journalists: funny, sincere, serious, or curious. However, after hearing the four women of Arizona TV state their individual qualities it made me realize that as journalist we all just need to find our own niche that will take our journalism to the next level. It made me wonder, not what quality will make me the next Katie Curic, but rather, what quality will make me t h e Danielle Quijada.
    The Must See Monday certainly brought me to a new realm of excitement. I hope one day I can be as successful as Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Pena, and Linda Williams.

Danielle QuijadaSeptember 11, 2013 @ 5:04 pm
  72. The first Must See Monday of the year was dedicated to the women of Arizona television news. The panel included Catherine Anaya, CBS 5; Lin Sue Cooney, 12 News; Carey Pena, KTVK-3TV; and Linda Williams, Fox 10.
    There was a full house in the amendment forum and attendants even sat on the third floor in order to hear this women speak. The conversation was not sugar coated or dragging but rang a lot of truth about the broadcasting and reporting business.
    A couple of reoccurring advice was to be yourself because that creates your brand and style. The audience connects to genuine voices and also the people you are interview will respond to authenticity and the fact that remember to be human.
    These ladies have all at one point worked together and have had the same bosses. They still hold on to the competition and ambition. “Not all markets are going to have this ‘Kumbaya’ attitude” said, Linda Williams, of Fox 10. But always strive for getting the best story and written piece should never stop.
    Another topic that made me think twice about this career choice was their schedules. Especially as women with twelve our days they might have to miss out on holidays and time with their families. Lin Sue Cooney noted that she made it a necessity to at least have dinner with her family every day. It’s not easy but it’s certainly is a juggling act.
    These women truly were the minority in the journalism field as females and of ethnicity that weren’t too often seen on television. On that note a memorable line from Carey Pena was to “Map your own path, don’t listen to the doubters of your passion.”

Maria LopezSeptember 11, 2013 @ 5:11 pm
  73. My first “Must See Monday” experience was a very inspirational one. I decided I wanted to attend because I am interested in broadcast. Also, the fact that it was “Meet the Women of Arizona TV News” made me even more excited to go. The panel featured anchors, Catherine Anaya, CBS 5; Lin Sue Cooney, 12 News; Carey Pena, KTVK-3TV; and Linda Williams, Fox 10 and was moderated by Melanie Alvarez. All of the women on the panel said many things that made me feel like this is the right goal for me. It was interesting that the women pointed out how important it is to be involved in social media. I figured it was important, but to hear it from someone who on tv everyday was nice to know. One of the quotes form Linda Williams really hit home for me, she said “Don’t let anyone steal your joy, and steal your passion.” This was all I needed to hear. It gives me confidence that as long as I believe in what I want, I just have to work to get there and it is possible. Another aspect they touched on was their most important stories. I appreciated that they didn’t share stories about famous people, but ones that showed how they make their mark in the community. All in all, it was a great panel.

Brittany DucksworthSeptember 11, 2013 @ 5:26 pm
  74. I picked up several useful pieces of advice from this week’s Must See Monday. The one that stood out the most for me is to be yourself, and to not let anyone steal your joy/passion for the field of journalism. This encourages me because I have always been counseled to model myself after someone in the profession and to follow their path. There are merits to this idea, but I also feel like it’s necessary to make my own path to a successful journalism career since it it, after all, my life and career. Being myself will allow me to have the most fun with my future career aspirations. I really thank the women of Arizona TV news for sharing this wonderful piece of wisdom.

Jonathan DiegoSeptember 11, 2013 @ 6:00 pm
  75. The Women of Arizona TV
    A multitude of students piled into the first amendment forum to kick off the first Must-See Monday. The students were all ears and waited in anticipation to hear from some of the most influential women in the Arizona media industry.
    Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Pena, and Linda Williams stepped on the Cronkite stage to share their experiences in journalism. The event started off with one of the biggest questions surrounding the women. They were asked, “What are some of the obstacles of being women in journalism? Catherine, Lin, Carey, and Linda each answered and their responses had a common theme. They all mentioned the difficulty in finding balance between their personal and professional lives. Catherine gave us insight on how she learned to balance the two. She told us how she made it a priority to come home and eat dinner with her kids every night. I was surprised by how open the women were especially when it came to their families. I always thought that most journalists were single because of the demands of the job; however, each of the women proved me wrong. They found a way to make it all work without having to choose and I am inspired by how well they balanced their lives. Catherine Anaya put it best when she said, “The happier you are in your personal life, the happier you are in your professional life.” The women were honest about how draining and difficult it is to lead the lives they do, but reassured us it is one of the most exciting, interesting jobs around. The ladies have covered some of the most memorable and inspiring stories and when asked about them, Catherine responded, “It is the extraordinary stories about ordinary people that you remember.” I am inspired by how honest each of the women are and I hope one day to be just as sincere and personable.

Shelby HydeSeptember 11, 2013 @ 6:03 pm
  76. I’m not sure if I completely agree with Diaz’s piece. I think her writing had a lot of voice and it was fun to read, but it lacked with its ability to sound professional. For me, I read this article thinking that Diaz is a girl that likes to party and is probably associated with Greek life on campus. I think that hurts her in some ways, but in other ways it can sound more like a peer giving friendly advice.
    However, I do agree with her in that essays and papers are written totally different in college than from high school. Unless you write a research paper in a major English class, your teachers enforce the 5-paragraph form with a beginning, middle and end for most papers. Also, I’m not sure that all high school classes set you up for the 5-paragraph paper, but instead, I feel like it is mostly seen in elementary and middle school classes. I know that my last few English classes in high school were actually pretty intense. If anything, my teachers tried to push us away from the 5-paragraph set-up before we got to college.
    Furthermore, I disagree with Diaz in that you do not just abandon the “objective” paper format. Being a transfer after three years of college, I have taken several writing classes where almost all of my professors preferred that we wrote with an objective writing style. Using words like “you” can sound accusing and like you are differentiating yourself from the reader. On the other side, using words like “I” and “me” can sound self-centered and get used way too often. There are instances where it’s good to have a voice, but if you want to sound professional and given credibility, it’s good to be objective. Research papers, essays and even arguments can all be written objectively, and personally I think it helps you sound more educated and aware of your audience.

Mariah EllisSeptember 11, 2013 @ 6:12 pm
  77. Meeting the women of Arizona TV news and hearing them speak, was an amazing opportunity. They had plenty of great advice for students who attend the Cronkite School. Their personal experiences and stories that they had shared were very inspiring. When each one of them spoke of their career, you could see that it was something that they were very passionate about, which is very encouraging to see. Seeing people who have made it big in the career path that you wish to fulfill yourself feels great and keeps others and myself determined. They spoke for a while about how it is important to build a brand now as a student and that it is very important to be yourself. As Lin Sue Cooney mentioned, many people tend to make the mistake of wanting to be just like the person that they look up to in their career fold and that shouldn’t be the case. You can definitely take something away from their performance but you should never want to be someone else’s replica.

Jessica SeegerSeptember 11, 2013 @ 6:24 pm
  78. This week’s Must See Monday, featuring the women of Arizona broadcast news, was the perfect start to what is looking to be a great series of events. As a freshmen, being in the same room as some of the best broadcast journalists in the area was an amazing opportunity. The women- Catherine Anaya from CBS 5, Lin Sue Cooney from 12 News, Carey Pena from KTVK-3TV, and Linda Williams from Fox 10- provided insightful information on what it is like to be a woman in journalism. While I am leaning towards print, the panel discussion made me reconsider how I view the broadcast industry. I found what all four women had to say about print very interesting. In today’s journalism especially, it is important to have more than one skill and to be able to execute all sides of journalism in a skillful manner, as evident by the anecdotes each one told. One topic that was discussed throughout the event was the use of social media. It goes to show just how essential social media is in today’s society when students are tweeting the panelists during the discussion and the panelists are responding and commenting immediately. I thought it shows how invested the women are in the future of journalism when they followed and tweeted several students after the event and have continued to tweet about it in the days since. Overall, it was an informative and productive journalistic discussion that I will continue to reflect on throughout my four years at Cronkite and beyond.

Lauren HornbergerSeptember 11, 2013 @ 6:25 pm
  79. Coming from the Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders in Austin, Texas we had women leaders in the community come speak with us all the time so for this to be our kick-off event was right up my ally. Hearing from Catherine Anaya, Lin Sue Cooney, Carey Pena, and Linda Williams made me excited for my future endeavors. They discussed how their work brought communities together. The communities that were deeply affected by certain events expressed their appreciation toward the woman, and that really motivated them to keep doing what they’re doing. The discussed how the biggest obstacle that women like me will face in the journalism profession is balancing your career with your family. Lucky, I really want to see the world and accomplish my life goals before I settle down. As a woman and journalist in general people are going to tell you “you can’t do it” for whatever reason but don’t give up. Although there will be many people that doubt me there will be even more amazing contacts that we will make here throughout our time at Cronkite and with our internships. Among other things, you need to be yourself, because TV is very transparent, have a sense of humor, and don’t have such “sharp elbows” unless the market you’re in forces you to.

Tamsyn StonebargerSeptember 11, 2013 @ 6:45 pm
  80. I really enjoyed Cronkite’s first MSM. These women are so powerful and influential, and I’ve looked up to all of them for years. Hearing their stories and everything they’ve been through to get to the point they are at now, was extremely helpful and encouraging. I especially appreciated their honesty and engagement with the crowd. It made me feel like they genuinely care about the success of students here at Cronkite. Hopefully within the next couple years here, I will be able to intern at one of the stations and become a successful reporter like them.

The one piece of advice I took away from the lecture was the importance of social media in the news. As a high schooler, I had a twitter account but it was mostly personal and less professional. Now, as a reporter I want to be taken seriously, which means cleaning up all my social media accounts and building an online network. They encouraged all of us to stay active on our twitters, and keep everything appropriate, which is something I definitely took away from the whole experience. Awesome way to kick of the Must See Mondays!! :)

Victoria MendozaSeptember 11, 2013 @ 6:59 pm
  81. This week’s Must See Monday was definitely inspiring to me personally! I hope to someday be in the field of broadcast journalism, and seeing four powerful, successful women in the field was incredible. They gave great advice for all aspects of journalism. “Never give up” and “Don’t let others tell you your eyes are too close together!” were just some of the few key pieces of advice that most stuck with me. Whenever I tell people I plan to go into journalism they all give the same sympathetic look of ‘that’s not a realistic profession’. Hearing these women say that they recieved the same looks and instead of giving up they pushed through the adversity was uplifting.

Being a female in the field was another topic that struck my curiosity. Balancing family with career was a tough situation felt by all four of the women. Each has had to make sacrifice, whether it be for their career or for their family, that makes them happy. The key to being happy and successful is to find your specific balance. I also learned from these women that versatility is essential to the industry. Being able to be flexible with your schedule and being a “jack of all trades” is highly prized. Keeping up with social measures, such as social networking, is required of journalism, something I was not aware of until last night.

Throughout the evening I definitely took away amazing advice, but the one piece of advice I’ve been hearing over and over since my start at the Cronkite School is: “Credibility is the key to longevity” which was also expressed last night by Catherine Anaya. If one is not credible in journalism, one does not have a career. The notion that accuracy is the most important aspect in journalism has been pounded in my head by professors, deans, and now anchorwomen.

If upcoming Must See Mondays are just a fraction of last night’s, then I will definitely be in attendance for every one of them. It was great to see and get advice from professionals that have been successful in the area I hope to pursue. The four incredible women last night reminded me to continue to work hard to make my dreams a reality.

Adriana BecerraSeptember 11, 2013 @ 7:00 pm
  82. It was wonderful that these women took time out of their busy lives to come and speak to us last night. Their visit was both informative and inspiring as I am so excited to start my journey as a female journalist and am considering going into broadcast. I liked hearing what they had to say about the process of working your way into the business; they taught me that it is vital to be aggressive about putting your name out there. Furthermore, I want to follow their advice about finding your own niche in the world of journalism and never losing an interest in something that makes you unique. They reinforced my belief that spanish will benefit my skills as a journalist. It was also interesting to hear about how they balanced their personal life with their work life. When I heard the description of a usual day for them I can not say that I was not a bit intimidated. I liked that they were real with us about how much of a juggling act it is but still gave us hope with their success. Their words were truly inspiring and made me even more excited to start my career. This Must See Monday was certainly a “must see” for all young journalism students.

Miranda ReddySeptember 11, 2013 @ 7:01 pm
  83. On Monday September 10, 2013, students of the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism were granted the incredible opportunity to meet the women of Arizona TV news. Carey Peña, Catherine Anaya, Linda Williams, and Lin Sue Cooney took a break from anchoring the news to give insight about their career paths for the Cronkite School’s Must See Mondays. They had great advice to give for college women thinking about careers.

Ladies, do you want a family and a successful career? Don’t let anyone get in the way of you doing both. These women are writing, rehearsing, or being on air most of their days AND have young children. They explained that they were sick of only seeing their children for breakfast so they told their producers that they were going home for dinner a few days a week. No one stopped them. These women get to spend time with their families because they know that family comes first. If they can do it, you can do it!

As a young lady, appearance is a major factor in self-confidence. Linda Williams from Fox 10 reveals that people are going to tell you that you cannot do it, but you have to ignore it! “Don’t let anyone steal your joy and don’t let anyone steal your passion,” advises Williams. She told her story of when someone told her that here eyes were too close together to be on television. If those words discouraged her, she would not be the successful and talented woman that she is on Fox 10.

So maybe you haven’t picked your career yet. Maybe you’re just starting out in college. Catherine Anaya from CBS 5 gives advice for students interested in internships. She explains that the most important thing you can do at your internship is to be vocal and ask to help out everywhere. Anaya said, “I’m going to ask why you’re here” if you don’t talk at the company.

Carey Peña, Catherine Anaya, Linda Williams, and Lin Sue Cooney shared many of their stories getting into the news business at the Must See Monday event at the Downtown campus. The crowd was star struck to be so close to these famous women and many asked for pictures. They jumped at the opportunity to ask these professionals questions. But even as famous faces in their fields, they are still regular moms who shop at Safeway. They are a prime example of how you can succeed in the future by getting ahead in college.

Chelsey BallarteSeptember 11, 2013 @ 8:41 pm
  84. This event was a very exciting one for me as I am a female looking to get an edge in the journalism world. I very much enjoyed the way the women talked about how much they love their jobs and in turn their lives. I have considered the possibilities of the affect a career like this will have on me as a woman and someone who would like children someday and the comments made about having chldren in this industry were both calming and unsettling. While this a direct contradiction it was exactly how I felt. On the one hand these women are very successful and happy in their careers but on the other hand they work long and often times odd hours. The most important thing I realized from hearing them speak was that I know that broadcasting is most likely not the path I will be taking, however I still feel excited as ever to enter the journalism career field. The women were also incredibly well put together which seems almost unatainable to be that put together 24/7- it was impressive to say the least. All together I found this event to be a great introduction into what I am studying as well as an introduction to Must See Mondays- which I plan to attend all of.

-Claire Cleveland

Claire ClevelandSeptember 11, 2013 @ 9:54 pm
  85. Meeting the Women of Arizona Broadcast at this week’s Must-See Monday was very interesting. I had learned earlier in the semester that women in journalism are generally still paid less than men, but that 70% of our school is made up of female students. The anchors on the panel were strong, passionate women, and if the Cronkite School produces more journalists like them, hopefully that will bring equality to the newsroom in the near future.

What I enjoyed most was the practical advice the anchor women gave. We were told to not become our idols, but always be ourselves; to always strive to learn more; and to get past the discouraging words of others, because that is where success lies.

It was refreshing to see that they practiced what they preached. Throughout the presentation I tweeted at all of these anchors, and they all tweeted back at me! They emphasized the importance of using social media and being respectful to fans, and they proved that true with their actions.

It was very inspriring to hear these women talk, and I look forward to implementing their advice in my career.

86. Must See Monday’s started off with a bang with the women in Arizona news. I had the privilege of watching four important newswomen in Phoenix talking about the things that they wish they learned in college and about some of the most important pieces of advice that they’ve learned. It was also interesting to see how these extraordinary women balanced their family lives and their work lives, something that I myself have been questioning. They mentioned about how when you’re younger, you think you can’t have it all (family and work). They talked about how they realized that they can have it all, and they in fact are able to have dinner with their families, a major plus. These are women who are well respected in their respective stations, and not just their stations. These are actual people, and they act like it. They don’t put up any masks or hide their identity. It was interesting to hear about how these amazing women worked their way up.

Fabian EstradaSeptember 11, 2013 @ 11:50 pm
  87. It was a privilege to be able to listen to the Women of Arizona television news speak together on the same stage. Even though I am a writer, it was still interesting to hear about everything that goes into a newscast. I was excited to hear that all four of the anchorwomen started out writing, and it was reassuring for me to learn that writing skills are essential in all fields of journalism. Linda Williams from Fox 10 said she would even prefer to be able to write if she couldn’t have any other profession.

Equally interesting was the relationship the four women had, which is unique to “smaller markets.” (even though Phoenix is the 6th largest city in the United States.) While competition between TV Channels for leads, stories, and camera shots is fierce, the women do not get personal, as they suggested happens in bigger cities. The four anchors are good friends and two of them even have the same pediatrician for their children.

Ultimately, the stories shared by the Women of Arizona’s television news were emotional, inspiring, and I’m sure the rest of the crowd in the First Amendment Forum were just as impressed as I was with their professionalism and their combination of ability and desire to reach out to their students and the rest of their audience.

Stefan ModrichSeptember 16, 2013 @ 12:36 pm
  88. The women that spoke today were truly amazing! They were open and honest and really surprised me. I guess what Linda Williams said was true, you dont expect these women to be compassionate. You see them on t.v and believe they are rocks, we forget that they are human. I think their ambition was awe inspiring and the fact that they just jumped into an industry that is prodominantly male and just rock what they do is great. Linda Williams said, “People will say what they will to steal your joy, passion, and determination. They will say the craxiest things just to put you down.” The fact that these women are constantly in the public eye and still maintain the grace that they have makes you really wonder if they are human, do they even really have lives? But likr Catherine Anaya said, “You have to be willing to go that extra mile to find balance in your life.” And these women certainly do have amazing balance, between work and their hectic home lives most people would go crazy, but these women go that extra mile, push a little harder to do what needs to be done.

Samantha RodriguezSeptember 18, 2013 @ 9:14 pm
  89. According to Melanie Alvarez, lecturer and executive producer for Cronkite NewsWatch and Monday night’s moderator, the current enrollment rate at Arizona State University Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication is 70 percent women.

Monday night, four women anchors, Catherine Anaya, CBS 5, Lin Sue Cooney, 12 News, Carey Pena, 3TV, and Linda Williams, Fox 10, discussed the struggles and rewards of broadcast journalism.

Finding the balance between family and work is a juggling act, not only for journalists but all women, Lin Sue Cooney, anchor for 12 News, said.

Catherine Anaya, anchor for CBS 5, used herself as an example stating that she goes home to eat dinner with her family between news casts.

“When you are willing to go that extra mile to make these things happen, more so now than before, people are willing to bend over backwards to help you out. Because really the happier you are in your personal life, the happier you are in your professional life,” Anaya said.

Williams said that there will always be the critics that will say that something cannot be done, referencing a time she was told she would never make it in the broadcast business because her eyes were too close together.

“People will say the craziest things as you go through this journey and it is your job to say ‘oh, we’ll see about that’ and move onto the next job,” Williams said.

Rachel Nemeh, junior, said, “What really resonated with me is that when Lin Sue Cooney was talking about how you have to be yourself; if you snort then snort.”

The rewards of a journalism career were also addressed with a question from the audience about their most important story.

Cooney said, “We could all say that we’ve interviewed the president or the president’s wife, the pope, celebrities, or had lunch with Jay Leno, but none of that ever comes into your mind as the greatest story you’ve ever done.”

Cooney goes on to talk about a crossing guard who was paralyzed and the process he goes through to get out of his mobile home and into his wheelchair each day, and the community working to make this crossing guard a ramp so the crossing guard could wheel his chair into his home.

Anaya said, “It’s the stories of extraordinary people doing extraordinary things.”

Kimberly LinnOctober 9, 2013 @ 4:40 pm
  90. As a junior, I get so excited to attend this Must See Monday every fall semester. I want to be just like these women of the Arizona TV news. I love hearing how thankful each of the women are for this job.

I really liked how Carey Pena touched on the fact that people usually associate local news with negative, sad stories. She said it is actually the opposite. In her time as a reporter, she said she has witnessed so many wonderful people out to help others. She said, “The beauty of the human spirit amazes me.”

Catherine Anaya talked about the importance of her family and how it mixed with her career. She said that on Monday and Tuesday goes home for dinner to spend a few hours with her children befor the evening news. She said, “The happier you are in your personal life, the happier you are in your professional life.”

Linda Williams was talking about critical people will be when you make it on TV as a reporter. Someone told her when she first began that her eyes were too close together for TV. She told us not to let anyone steal our joy, because if we have a passion for the business, we can succeed.

Lastly, I love how the women talked about how they were involved in their communities as a part of their career. That is exactly what I want. I want to be a reporter that people trust in the local community. I want people to tweet at me or follow me to get their news.

Hannah LawrenceNovember 4, 2013 @ 12:20 pm

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.

css.php